PDA

View Full Version : Improved Eschew Materials (PEACH)

GimliFett
2007-08-20, 09:12 AM
Howdy! I'd like feedback on this, por favor. My primary desire is for this to work with sorcerers (who get Eschew Materials at 1st level for free, among a couple of other tidbits).

*^*^*^*
IMPROVED ESCHEW MATERIALS [GENERAL]
You gain a greater capacity to cast spells without relying on material components.
Prerequisite: Caster level 5th, Primary casting stat 13+.
Benefit: You can cast any spell that has a material component costing up to 50 gp for each point of your primary casting ability modifier. (The casting of the spell still provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.) If the spell requires a material component that costs more than this, you must have the material component at hand to cast the spell, just as normal.
^*^*^*^

I'm wondering if the requirements are high enough (maybe 7th level and 15+?). I'm also considering a cap on this at 250gp or 500gp, then making Greater Eschew Materials, which would be uncapped and require higher level still (probably 11th or 13th) and primary casting stat (17+).

Tormsskull
2007-08-20, 09:25 AM
*^*^*^*
IMPROVED ESCHEW MATERIALS [GENERAL]

Doesn't seem like it is worth a feat, to be honest. If you're playing in a campaign with standard WBL guidelines, material components rarely end up breaking the caster's piggy bank. If you play in a very low-money campaign, then I could see it being useful.

Either way, making the Feat better based on the character's stat seems odd for a feat. It should either be static or scaling based on level.

brian c
2007-08-20, 11:16 AM
I could see this being very useful for playing a Vow of Poverty sorcerer, but that's about it.