PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of the Celebrant [PEACH]

Amechra
2017-12-03, 03:41 AM
Ancestral Path - Path of the Celebrant

Frenzies can come from places other than homicidal anger. Sometimes, it comes from driving yourself so far into the pleasures of the flesh that nothing might hold you back.

Come and join the mosh pit, my friends.

Sidebar - Revelers
Some features of the Path of the Celebrant refer to "revelers" - this term applies to any creature that has an ideal or personality trait related to hedonism, revelry,
or indulgence. It also applies to humanoids charmed through Invitation to Revel, as well as any creature under the effect of Hideous Laughter or a similar effect.

3 - Ecstatic Joy
You gain "Revelry - Life is supposed to be enjoyed" as an additional ideal. As such, you may treat indulging in the pleasures of the flesh as "taking damage" for the purposes of rage - this can be anything from quaffing a mug of ale to dancing ecstatically. You also never treat the space of a reveler as difficult terrain, and may rise from prone without spending movement as long as you are sharing your space with a reveler.

3 - Rave On
As long as you are raging, you have Advantage on Charisma checks and Charisma saving throws. In addition, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier at the start of each turn while raging.

6 - Invitation to Revel
Whenever you make a roll with Advantage and the lower die would succeed, you may fill a humanoid that saw you do so with a powerful surge of emotion as a reaction. They may make a Wisdom saving throw against a DC of 8 + your Proficiency modifier + your Charisma modifier - if they fail, they are charmed for the next minute. The charmed creature is overcome by their passions - they will dance, drink, or fight at the slightest invitation, and suffer the negative effects of Rage for as long as they are charmed.

10 - Life of the Party
Whenever you enter a rage, any humanoid within 30ft that saw you do so may choose to be charmed as if you had targeted them with Invitation to Revel. In addition, any creature you charm may choose to become Friendly to you - if they do, they gain "Revelry: Life is supposed to be enjoyed" as an additional ideal.

14 - Master of Ceremonies
As long as you are raging, you may make melee weapon attacks and opportunity attacks as if you were standing in the same place as a reveler you can see, using any weapon that creature might be wielding. In addition, you may Dodge as a bonus action as long as there is a reveler within 5 ft. of you.

LeonBH
2017-12-03, 08:36 AM
I dislike Ecstatic Joy because it requires the player to RP in a certain way. It's not a ribbon or a mechanical ability, it's just a "you have to play it this way" kind of feature. It really closes off the design space for the subclass.

Rave On is decent. It's like an always-on Heroism. It is lackluster compared to Frenzy Rage or the Bear Totem, though.

Invitation to Revel is honestly very strange. It's not a mechanical effect you impose on them unlike "Restrained" or "Petrified" or "Stunned." It's really vague. Does it mean they can't attack or cast spells anymore, if they're ready to dance at the slightest invitation?

Life of the Party doesn't seem to be useful against enemies. It seems to be useful as a setup to the level 14 ability, which the Barbarian will not have for the next four levels, making this a dead level feature. It also imposes RPing requirements on the creatures, which is bad.

Master of Ceremonies seems decent and powerful, but not worth it at this level. I also can't imagine why reveling in life would transpose you to the location of other revelers as if you were standing in their space.

endlessxaura
2017-12-03, 03:04 PM
DUUUUUUUDE! THE FLAAAAAVOOOOR THOUUUUGH!

Okay, I have to agree with the guy above me on some points, but I want to see this succeed SOOOO BAD. I may make a Barbarian in my next campaign to do this.

Overall I think that having the revel mechanic work on enemies is weird. If anything, I think it would be better to have the revel mechanic work on allies who want to participate. Maybe, you could have a special kind of rage, like Revel, that you and everyone within 60ft participate in a lesser form of rage that has different, more team-oriented abilities - in the same way the Frenzy is a special kind of rage.

Ecstatic Joy. I agree that this shouldn't have an ideal attached to it, but it's otherwise mechanically alright. You can't actually share a space with a creature in 5e, but I assume you meant to include that. I would roll the special kind of rage I was talking about into this and formalize it, too: make it a bonus action to "revel."

Rave On. This is a sweet ability. It's interesting on a Barbarian, too.

Invitation to Revel. I think you ought to replace this with something else or model it after Intimidating Presence from the Beserker path.

Life of the Party. So, I see no real reason someone would want to revel with you at this point. The charmed condition also makes creatures friendly to you in every mechanical sense.

Master of Ceremonies. I think this is a fairly cool ability, but I agree with LeonBH: you should get this earlier. I also think has some mechanical weirdness: why would you be using your own Strength and proficiency bonus when you're using another creature to make the attack?

Here's is a more comprehensive view of my suggestions:

3 - Ecstatic Joy
Starting at 3rd level, you can revel when you rage. In addition, any friendly creature within 60ft of you can choose to revel with you. While reveling, each creature has the following benefits:

A reveler has advantage on Charisma checks and Charisma saving throws.
A reveler gains temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier at the start of each turn.
A reveler can share a space with one other reveler. A reveler can willingly end its movement in one other reveler's space.
A reveler does not treat the space of another reveler as difficult terrain.
A reveler may stand up from prone without using movement if it is sharing a space with another reveler who is not prone.

A reveler must use a bonus action each turn to revel - this can be anything from quaffing a mug of ale to dancing ecstatically. If a reveler ends its turn without reveling or further than 60ft away from you, it stops reveling. If you stop reveling, all revelers stop reveling.

6 - Master of Ceremonies
At 6th level, you and your revelers share a combined spirit. As long as you are reveling, you may use your attacks during an Attack action to allow a reveler to use a reaction and make an attack.

10 - Invitation to Revel
Beginning at 10th level, you can use your action to fill a creature with a powerful surge of emotion. When you do so, choose a creature within 30ft of you. The creature must make a Wisdom saving throw against a DC of 8 + your Proficiency modifier + your Charisma modifier. If it fails, they are charmed until the end of your next turn. On subsequent turns, you may use your action to extend the duration on the charmed creature This effect ends if the creature ends its turn out of line of sight or more than 60 feet away from you. You may also force the creature to start reveling and continue reveling until the duration ends. The creature must use its bonus action each turn to revel if you force it to revel, but it also gains the benefits of reveling.

If the creature succeeds its saving throw, you can't use this feature on that creature again for the next 24 hours.

14 - Improved Revelry
Starting at 14th level, revelers who share a space grant disadvantage on attack rolls again them and have advantage on melee attacks against creatures within both their reach.

Nifft
2017-12-03, 04:22 PM
First off: I love the idea.

However: "Celebrant" is someone who takes part in a religious ceremony. It's not about enjoying a party.

Better words:
- Path of Hedonism
- Path of Bacchanalia
- Path of Sensation
- Path of Revelry

I agree with the other posters that the Charm Enemies thing is weird, and doesn't work for me.

Enforcing one specific Ideal on everyone is also bad. I'd like to think that there could be many different Ideals which are compatible with this subclass. Enforcing only one reduces the replay value -- it's always "that guy", never anybody else.

3 - What Is Best in Life
You gain proficiency with one musical instrument, one gaming set, and one of the following skills: Athletics, Insight, Perception, or Persuasion.

Additionally, while you are not wearing any armor, you may calculate your Armor Class as 10 + your Charisma modifier + your Constitution modifier, if this would be to your benefit. You can use a shield and still gain this feature.

3 - Ecstatic Exuberance
You gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier at the start of each turn while raging. At 8th level, you instead gain temporary hit points equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. At 14th level, you instead gain temporary hit points equal to 10 + your Charisma modifier.

6 - Life Triumphs
Beginning at 6th level, you can't be frightened or poisoned while raging. If you are frightened or poisoned when you enter your rage, the effect is suspended for the duration of the rage.

10 - Take Heart My Friends
All adjacent allies gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier at the start of each turn while you are raging.

Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can use a bonus action to remove the frightened or poisoned condition from one ally within 30 feet.

14 - Victorious Vivacity
All adjacent allies have advantage on Constitution and Strength saving throws. All adjacent enemies have disadvantage on Wisdom and Charisma saving throws.