PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster - melee or range, multiclass or not?

Greywander
2017-12-03, 03:56 AM
I'm working on a character concept that I can hopefully pull out and use for any random pick up games, and settled on a tiefling Arcane Trickster who works as a paranormal detective. I'd use the feral variant tiefling from SCAG, but none of the other options really grabbed me, even from the Fiendish Options UA. I'm hoping any DM I have would let me swap the racial spells out for different ones, perhaps detect good and evil and... something else. Invisibility or see invisible, maybe? Shadow blade?

Anyway, I was looking for some advice on how to build him. First question is, melee or ranged?

With ranged, I could burn two feats on Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, letting me attack twice from a distance. The main point here is being out of harms way and able to hide after attacking, but also getting a second chance to apply sneak attack if I miss with the first attack. Of course, I can't hide and use my second attack, since those both use my bonus action, but I can hide if I hit with my first attack.

For melee, I'm looking at either booming blade or green flame blade, coupled with shadow blade at 7th level (I feel like this spell was made for rogues). I'm thinking booming blade would work better, as it gives me some battlefield control. Against melee enemies, I can run up, tag them with BB, and disengage. They can either stand there and use a crappy ranged attack if they have one, or tank the boom damage to get back into melee with me (or someone else). Against archers and mages, I would run up, tag them with BB, and then stay in melee. They can either use whatever crappy melee option they have, or retreat and take the boom damage. I could even pair this with the Sentinal feat so they can't disengage.

The downside of the melee option is that I'd only get one shot to apply sneak attack damage every round, so if I miss, that's a lot of lost damage. Shadow blade along with booming blade does provide a significant amount of damage, though. Further, flipping through the MM it seems psychic damage (shadow blade) is generally quite effective against most enemies, notably undead and fiends (remember, paranormal detective). There are a couple enemies that are immune, however. What I'd really like is a radiant damage option, maybe a refluffed "Brilliant Blade" that drops the damage die of booming blade one step, switches to radiant damage, and deals one extra die's worth of damage against fiends and undead.

Both of these builds have their own pros and cons, and I'm likely to carry a rapier + daggers/darts and a light crossbow anyway. Two-weapon fighting isn't really an option since I need a hand free to cast spells, and it competes with Cunning Action for my bonus action.

Now, if this is mostly for pickup groups of randoms, I don't expect to ever reach 20th level, but it would be worth knowing if I should multiclass and when I should multiclass. Here's the options I see:

Fighter 1 - Allows me to get the archery fighting style and proficiency with longbows. Now I can snipe from a safe range, and don't need/won't benefit from Crossbow Expert.

Wizard 1 or 2 - Both AT and wizard use INT for casting so this makes perfect sense. Even a single dip gets me a bunch of wizard spells including find familiar. For a second level dip, I'd probably go Bladesinger for melee, if the DM lifted the race restriction.

Warlock 3 - Pact of the chain let's me get an invisible flying li'l devil buddy. I shall call him... Mini Me! This seems like it would significantly delay me rogue progression, though, particularly in a lower level game.

Paladin 2 - Fits thematically with a paranormal detective. Divine Senses is like a weaker version of detect good and evil, and it gives me a legal way RAW to get radiant damage: smites and divine favor spell. Also gets longbow proficiency and a fighting style, but archery isn't an option.

I should probably mention I'm likely to dump CHA. I haven't decided whether to go 12 WIS and 8 CHA and be gruff but perceptive or switch them around and be clueless but friendly. Balancing them would be boring. My ability scores will probably look like STR 8, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 16, WIS 12, CHA 8. (Is it important to boost my INT to 20? Or should I leave it at 16 and grab more feats?)

When would be the best times to dip, or should I not dip at all?

sithlordnergal
2017-12-03, 04:22 AM
So, if you plan to dump cha then Paladin is not for you. Personally, I prefer getting up close and personal with Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade. Those two cantrips will make life as a close combat Rogue so much easier. I would also suggestion getting 20 Int as an arcane trickster, and snagging at least two levels of Wizard.

Why? Well, Arcane Trickster and Wizard spells are based off Int. Once you have either a 16 or 18 in Dex, you can focus on your Int and work to max it out. As for the Wizard, snag Divination Wizard and get those portent rolls. They are far too powerful not to want. Make sure you eventually get mirror image for defenses as well.

EDIT: Also, going melee frees up a feat, letting you snag things like Sentinal while still getting enough ASI's to boost Int to 20 and Dex to 18

Greywander
2017-12-03, 04:45 AM
As a rogue, even an Arcane Trickster, I'm still primary a martial class, and most of my damage comes from sneak attack. Spellcasting, while useful, is a secondary ability. I feel like I would do much better to boost DEX up to 20 just to increase my chances of hitting and landing a sneak attack than to boost my INT up to 20 when many of my spells might not even benefit from INT (booming blade and shadow blade don't, nor does mirror image). That said, I'm reasonably confident that any character is playable with a 16 in their primary stat, but why not optimize if given the option?

opaopajr
2017-12-03, 06:26 AM
Are you actually going to play this out? That's five classes altogether. By your numbers alone (and the 3 levels needed to open Arcane Trickster) you're looking at lvl 10 for this to go fully online. Is it truly worth it, or more a mental exercise?

I'd take it easy at first: do a Fighter 1-2 lvl dip first. That way you are survivable with armor proficiencies, Fighting Style, and Second Wind HP bloat. The second level is exceedingly tempting with Action Surge.

Afte that, I'd focus on what sort of spells you'll take as Arcane Trickster Tiefling. You already get Thaumaturgy by race, Mage Hand by archetype. That leaves two cantrips, two ench. or illu. spells, and one from any school.

I'd personally play the Charming Devil aspect. Take Friends and Message for cantrips, take Charm Person and Sleep for ench. 1st lvls. And that leaves one last open selection. :smallamused: So thematic!

I'd also run TWF and pump up CON. That way, with your Fighter armor you have two chances to land your Sneak Attack, and are standing close enough to trigger OAs with your reaction, getting the most of your Sneak Attack. The CON lets you HP bloat so you can *almost* stand in melee with the other frontliners.

TWF Style is not a bad idea as it starts with a higher burst DPS in the early levels then peters out by late game. But you already start with a 2 lvl deficit for Rogue widgets going online. So you might as well boost throughput by ensuring your SA lands as often as possible.

Greywander
2017-12-03, 05:16 PM
Are you actually going to play this out? That's five classes altogether. By your numbers alone (and the 3 levels needed to open Arcane Trickster) you're looking at lvl 10 for this to go fully online. Is it truly worth it, or more a mental exercise?
No no! Those were all either/or, and I'm still not sure if I should dip at all. Sorry that wasn't clear.

I'd take it easy at first: do a Fighter 1-2 lvl dip first. That way you are survivable with armor proficiencies, Fighting Style, and Second Wind HP bloat. The second level is exceedingly tempting with Action Surge.
Action Surge is pretty great from what I've heard. Haven't had the chance to play a figher yet, though.

Afte that, I'd focus on what sort of spells you'll take as Arcane Trickster Tiefling. You already get Thaumaturgy by race, Mage Hand by archetype. That leaves two cantrips, two ench. or illu. spells, and one from any school.

I'd personally play the Charming Devil aspect. Take Friends and Message for cantrips, take Charm Person and Sleep for ench. 1st lvls. And that leaves one last open selection. :smallamused: So thematic!
I'm thinking of giving my character an NPC secretary/assistant to help him run his paranormal detective business. I'm kind of thinking of a cross between a typical Noire detective thing, something a bit like the relationship between Mob and Reigen from Mob Psycho, and the relationship between Varrick and Zhu Li from Legend of Korra. I could certainly see going the charming but clueless route. Whichever I dump between Wisdom or Charisma, my assistant would have higher, maybe 14 or 16 if I can swing it with the DM. In fact, she might just have 14s across the board for mental stats. I'm assuming an NPC with no class or levels, so I'm not sure what an ability score array would look like for such a character.

For cantrips, I was probably going to take thaumagurgy, mage hand, booming blade, and message. At 10th level, I might pick up dancing lights or minor illusion, or get one of those earlier and wait for message. I might also change it up depending on party composition. I haven't thought much about spells at this point. Debating whether to get find familiar as an AT spell or if I should pick up the Ritual Caster feat. Could also dip wizard.

I'd also run TWF and pump up CON. That way, with your Fighter armor you have two chances to land your Sneak Attack, and are standing close enough to trigger OAs with your reaction, getting the most of your Sneak Attack. The CON lets you HP bloat so you can *almost* stand in melee with the other frontliners.

TWF Style is not a bad idea as it starts with a higher burst DPS in the early levels then peters out by late game. But you already start with a 2 lvl deficit for Rogue widgets going online. So you might as well boost throughput by ensuring your SA lands as often as possible.
This requires me to get the Warcaster feat so I can cast spells with my hands full. Non-AT rogues generally don't have anything for their off-hand to do, so TWF makes sense, but AT rogues need the free hand. That was one reason I was considering Crossbow Expert instead, as I can still attack twice (at range, no less) while still having a hand free (you only need one hand crossbow). I'm still leaning toward booming blade + shadow blade, but I'm open to the possibility (and if I have enough feats might pick it up anyway). Will 14 CON be enough for melee?

One of the big questions is when to multiclass. My instinct tells me that, especially a single level dip, should be done as early as possible, and that way you get to focus on building your main class the rest of the game. But something like a 3 level dip is trickier, since it sets your main class back farther and you'll have to go for longer without any improvements to your main class.

PhantomSoul
2017-12-03, 06:36 PM
One of the big questions is when to multiclass. My instinct tells me that, especially a single level dip, should be done as early as possible, and that way you get to focus on building your main class the rest of the game. But something like a 3 level dip is trickier, since it sets your main class back farther and you'll have to go for longer without any improvements to your main class.

If doing Fighter, I might recommend the first level at first level, especially if your stats would include an odd Dex Score. Con Saving throw proficiency will be useful for keeping Concentration going (and you'll be able to use Uncanny Dodge to combine nicely with that!), and you can get Dex Saving Throw proficiency all the while increasing your main attack stat (whereas getting Con Saving Throw proficiency would be something you might not be tempted to do so soon). You do end up with one fewer Skill Proficiency (two vs. four to start, but +1 from multiclass), though, which is worth considering. You probably won't use Heavy Armour, but getting Weapon Proficiencies and/or Shield Proficiency early could be nice. I love Evasion (personal bias, and my Monk tragically died before getting it!), so I would probably try to avoid taking Fighter 2 until I get Evasion and (and 2nd-level spells at the same time!).

MrStabby
2017-12-03, 07:14 PM
No sorcerer on the list?

Sorcerer quicken lets you pull of a second attempt at sneak attack if you miss.

Favoured soul lets you nab some cleric spells that might also help you flesh out your theme, although shadow might suit you as well.

Finieous
2017-12-03, 09:14 PM
The downside of the melee option is that I'd only get one shot to apply sneak attack damage every round, so if I miss, that's a lot of lost damage.

Take find familiar with your 1st-level out-of-school spell.

Greywander
2017-12-04, 03:47 AM
No sorcerer on the list?

Sorcerer quicken lets you pull of a second attempt at sneak attack if you miss.

Favoured soul lets you nab some cleric spells that might also help you flesh out your theme, although shadow might suit you as well.
I was actually thinking that it would make sense for the concept to take a few levels of cleric. However, I also realized that if the DM is enforcing the ability score requirements for multiclassing, then fighter and wizard are my only options unless I move some points around. Personally, I would ignore those restrictions if I were the DM. If I want to multiclass into cleric with a Wisdom of 8, then it's my own darn fault if my new abilities are underpowered. Dipping into a CHA class with a Charisma of 12 is really only slightly better. If I already knew the DM and had been playing with them for a while, I might be able to get them to allow me to use Intelligence as my casting stat for any classes I dip into, but I don't foresee that happening in a pick up game.

Your point about metamagic is good, it's just unfortunate that it requires a 3 level dip to get there. I wish there was a metamagic feat. On a homebrew class I made, I gave them an invocation-like optional ability that allows them to choose two metamagic options and gives sorcery points equal to one quarter of your level, rounded up. Again, if I knew the DM already, they might agree to this, but no way I could ask for that with a new DM.

Theurgy wizard from The Faithful UA might be another option, although it takes longer for the cleric features to come online. Still, at 2nd level I can pick up a cleric spell.

Thematically, I feel like straight cleric works best. A single level dip into cleric, with possibly another dip into wizard, would help a lot with getting the theme right, but I could also see putting some extra levels into cleric. Rogue 15/Cleric 5 allows me to get most of my rogue features while still getting Destroy Undead. Still, a five level dip is a lot, so I'm not sure when it would be best to take more than 1 level of cleric, and if the abilities would even still be useful later on.

Heh, this was supposed to be something simple that I could just throw into a game without needing any favors from the DM to make it work. Oh well, I can put this one on the back burner and bring it out when I have an established group. Time to think of something new. And simple this time.

BobZan
2017-12-04, 11:06 AM
I made this Warlock / Arcane Trickster, maybe you can get insights from it:

Status (Point Buy)

or (for a more balanced sheet)

Go with Rapier, Medium Armor and Shield for AC 18 on 1st level.

VHuman - Feat: Sentinel (Skill: Perception)
Background - Criminal (Skill: Deception, Stealth)
1st - Warlock 1 - Hexblade (Skill: Persuasion, Investigation)
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Eldritch Blast
Spells: Wrathful Smite, Hex

2nd - Warlock 2 - Agnonizing Blast, Devils Sight
Spell: Cause Fear

3rd - Warlock 3 - Pact of the Chain (Imp Familiar)
Spell: Darkness + Trade Cause Fear for Invisibility

4th - Rogue 1 - Expertise: Stealth, Perception - Sneak Attack 1d6 (Skill: Acrobatics)

5th - Rogue 2 - Cunning Action

6th - Rogue 3 - Arcane Trickster (Mage Hand Legerdemain)
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Message
Spells: Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Identify

Ok, that's the basics of the build. How I see it flowing on the battlefield:

1- Use your Invisible Imp to Aid you, so your attack is made with advatange. Use Booming Blade + Wrathful Smite + Sneak Attack (2d8+3d6+3). DC 14 Wis or Frightened.

"Frightened

A frightened creature has disadvantage on Ability Checks and Attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight.
The creature can’t willingly move closer to the source of its fear."

Your opponent has some choices now: Dodge, Action to re-do the saving throw, attack with disadvantage or move away with Dash or Disengage. It's good for you all the way. Landed a good hit and your opponent did at least a bad action. If he moves he takes 2d8 from Booming Blade and you can give an OA, sometimes will be sneak attack viable.

2- By 6th level you'll be able to cast Wrathful Smite 2/short + 2/long, about 6 to 8 times a day, so you won't be able SPAM it all day. No worries.

3- Use your Invisible Imp to Aid you, so your attack is made with advatange. Booming Blade + Sneak Attack + Cunning Action. Go in, strike, go out (or don't). Your hit will be very similar to the smite: (2d8+2d6+3)

4- Booming Blade + Sneak Attack + Hexblade's Curse

5- Booming Blade + Sneak Attack + Hex

6- Darkness + Eldritch Blast

7- Darkness on your sword and go in!

Specter
2017-12-04, 12:34 PM
Optimizing is good, but don't overthink your decisions at first. I suggest going Rogue up to 7 asap to enjoy Evasion, Shadow Blade and Mirror Image, and then worrying about multiclassing. Dealing solid damage and having amazing skills, your party will be glad to have you around no matter what.

Biggstick
2017-12-04, 01:09 PM
I'm working on a character concept that I can hopefully pull out and use for any random pick up games, and settled on a tiefling Arcane Trickster who works as a paranormal detective. I'd use the feral variant tiefling from SCAG, but none of the other options really grabbed me, even from the Fiendish Options UA. I'm hoping any DM I have would let me swap the racial spells out for different ones, perhaps detect good and evil and... something else. Invisibility or see invisible, maybe? Shadow blade?

So you start out well enough, wanting to create a character that's able to be used in multiple games. And then you break away from that with the choice of Tiefling as your character race, and not just the PHB Tiefling, but a SCAG variant (thankfully not the flying one). Tieflings, straight up, might not exist or be accepted in the campaigns you're trying to hop into. Secondly, you're asking to play a Tiefling, and make homebrew racial spell choices, and use UA. These are very much so strikes against a character that's being created with the intention of being acceptable in any random pick-up game.

My recommendation? Go with a more highly accepted race like a High Elf (Longbow proficiency, additional Wizard cantrip, Perception, and darkvision).

"Wahhh!! It's so typical!" I can hear it now. But you stated from the start that you're looking to create a character that's going to be accepted and viable in any game. A High Elf Arcane Trickster is as typical as they come. Where the character takes on it's interest is how you play his/her background and personality. That's what makes the character unique; not being an off-the-wall race.

Anyway, I was looking for some advice on how to build him. First question is, melee or ranged?

The answer to your question is both. In the first half of your PC's career, you'll be able to skirt back and forth through combat, utilizing both ranged and melee attacks. As an Arcane Trickster, you can afford to pick up GFB or BB, and stack that on top of your Sneak Attack. In my experience as a Rogue, I got way more use out of GFB then I ever did out of BB. The DM is going to unconsciously not move the character hit by the BB. That's all there is to the situation. It's simply better to get the splash damage from GFB then it is to "hope" the creature moves to trigger your secondary effect. Another nice bit is that the damage from GFB is fire, which for how you've described your character, would be more fitting through either the Tiefling or the High Elf as I've suggested. Fire is more commonly useful in dealing with the paranormal in my mind then Thunder (sound) damage. It also has more of the brimstone effect one might be looking for when playing a Tiefling.

So, in the first part of your PC's career (levels 1-early teens), GFB and ranged skirmishing will be your standard operating procedure. You'll have maxed out your Dexterity with your 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd ASI, and you might have looked at grabbing another feat. By the level 12 (4th ASI) or level 16 (5th ASI) mark though, you should be looking to pick up the Sharpshooter feat. You're a Rogue, and definitely aren't typically able to take more then one attack per round. You have AC that's probably somewhere in the 16-19 range, depending on availability of magic items, meaning when something big is swinging, they're almost always going to be able to hit you. The only thing going for you is Uncanny Dodge, and you only get one of those a round. It's best to just start trying to keep as far away from the bads as you can, using your Cunning Action to Hide, and generate Sneak Attack from 300+ feet away if you're using a Shortbow, and 500+ feet away if you're using a Longbow.

So, to answer your question. Rogues do well in a skirmisher position throughout the first 1-14 levels of the game. They're utilizing both ranged and melee attacks. Once you make it to late game though, a Rogue doesn't really want to ever even risk getting hit by a big bad, so staying at range and utilizing a Bow will be ideal.

Now, if this is mostly for pickup groups of randoms, I don't expect to ever reach 20th level, but it would be worth knowing if I should multiclass and when I should multiclass. Here's the options I see: Fighter, Wizard, Warlock, Paladin.

I should probably mention I'm likely to dump CHA. My ability scores will probably look like STR 8, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 16, WIS 12, CHA 8.

When would be the best times to dip, or should I not dip at all?

For one, multiclassing might not be allowed with the group of randoms you're about to play with. However, if it is, I've bolded what I think is most fitting. You've dumped your Charisma, immediately ruling out Warlock or Paladin. That's fine though, as Fighter and Wizard give you fantastic bits for your character.

Fighter is an easy choice if you want to focus on improving your ranged strengths (Longbow if you're going with Tiefling, and obviously the Archery style) and increasing defensive options at the same time. Wait a minute might say, increasing defensive options? Yes, it does. Until you have 20 Dexterity, Breastplate will have the same or higher defensive value then Studded Leather does to your Rogue/Fighter multiclass. In addition to armor/weapons proficiencies gained, you're also capable of strapping on a Shield, meaning you can have an AC of 18-19 if you're willing to put on a Shield. This is the route I'd go if I was focused on end-game, and I'd take these level(s) in the late game before picking up the Sharpshooter feat.

Wizard on the other hand, is about improving your utility. I'd definitely look to take two-three levels of Wizard, both to grab up to 2nd level spells and rituals, as well as picking up the school feature as well. I'm partial to Conjuration (as anyone with an imagination for creating things might be), but mechanically, Bladesinger and Divination are better. These levels are to augment spellcasting, and can be taken whenever you feel they're appropriate.

Overall, if I was to multiclass this type of character, I'd go with Wizard. It'd be in the early game, probably before I reach Rogue 5. I'd go 2 levels, and then pick up the third Wizard level later on.

Greywander
2017-12-04, 07:35 PM
So you start out well enough, wanting to create a character that's able to be used in multiple games. And then you break away from that with the choice of Tiefling as your character race, and not just the PHB Tiefling, but a SCAG variant (thankfully not the flying one). Tieflings, straight up, might not exist or be accepted in the campaigns you're trying to hop into. Secondly, you're asking to play a Tiefling, and make homebrew racial spell choices, and use UA. These are very much so strikes against a character that's being created with the intention of being acceptable in any random pick-up game.
Yeah, this seems to happen quite often when I'm thinking of builds. I start with something simple, then get INSPIRATION, and next thing I know it requires a custom race and half a dozen house rules. It's probably a good thing I don't let my creativity feel restricted by the mechanics, particularly when rule alterations are clearly for flavor rather than optimization, but it would probably be a headache for the DM if they're not used to vetting homebrew.

I do feel like it's not unreasonable to ask to play anything in the PHB with the possible exception of variant human. I'm not really sure why a DM of a pickup group would use some custom setting that doesn't have certain races in it, or care that much about the lore for a one-shot or short campaign. Once the DM is familiar with the group and wants to start some epic campaign in their homebrew setting, then I could see placing restrictions on race and class, but not for a game with a bunch of randoms.

My recommendation? Go with a more highly accepted race like a High Elf (Longbow proficiency, additional Wizard cantrip, Perception, and darkvision).

"Wahhh!! It's so typical!" I can hear it now. But you stated from the start that you're looking to create a character that's going to be accepted and viable in any game. A High Elf Arcane Trickster is as typical as they come. Where the character takes on it's interest is how you play his/her background and personality. That's what makes the character unique; not being an off-the-wall race.
At the moment, I'm considering a hill dwarf knowledge cleric instead. It's simple, provides support and utility, and doesn't require me to play a talky character (I'm pretty quiet, so I don't think I'd be able to RP well as a high CHA character in a group of strangers). No backstory or personality yet, so there's still plenty of opportunity for this one to go off the rails, too.

In my experience as a Rogue, I got way more use out of GFB then I ever did out of BB. The DM is going to unconsciously not move the character hit by the BB. That's all there is to the situation.
Just according to keikaku*. While the bonus damage is a nice addon, I feel like the real purpose of booming blade is to force an enemy to stand still. An enemy that can't move is an enemy that might as well already be dead. Mobile feat makes this even more potent. At the start of combat, run out and tag an enemy with BB. Because of Mobile, they can't OA you when you move out of their range, so use your bonus action to dash 40 feet away. Keep running 40 feet in, tagging with BB, and dashing 40 feet back until the enemy is dead. You're solidly out of range of thrown weapons, unless thrown at long range, nor can an enemy with average speed (30 feet) close to melee with you without taking the dash action (i.e. they can't attack you). Unless the enemy has spells or a ranged attack, they might as well not exist. Their best bet in this case is to take the dodge action and hope you miss on your next attack.

It's true that this becomes less effective once the enemy closes to melee with your tank, but it still has the benefit of making your tank extra sticky. By tagging them with BB, you're disincentivising them from disengaging the tank and moving to attack a more vulnerable party member. This can also help you rescue a more vulnerable party member by tagging the enemy and staying in melee while the party member disengages and gets to a safe distance. Basically, forcing an enemy to not move is generally more useful than the extra damage. Also, this is why all your Strength based melee warriors should carry javelins; so you can turn an enemy that can't move into a pincushion.

This gets even more potent if your tank also has booming blade and Sentinal. Now you can lock down two enemies next to him that can't move or else they take boom damage and provoke an OA. I'm imagining an entire party built around Polearm Mastery + Sentinel + Spell Sniper + Warcaster + reach weapon + booming blade. Basically, once an enemy is within 10 feet of you, it can't get closer or farther. Get a few front-liners with this setup along with some ranged support and have the melee flank the enemy (so that getting within 5 feet of one of them means leaving the reach of another, and therefore an OA). The entire party should be hexblade warlocks, at least enough to get agonizing blast and eldritch spear, so that everyone can attack at melee or range using CHA. You can easily start with 16 in both CON and CHA, and dipping into fighter or rogue might give enough ASIs to push CHA to 20 while still getting 4 feats. Or play a variant human, saving one ASI so you can boost CHA to 20 as a pure warlock (or MC that gets 5 ASIs) while still picking up all four feats.

Also, fire damage might be more thematic with the tiefling, but IIRC from flipping through the monster manual, fire is resisted more commonly than thunder, even by undead. Not a lot, granted, but worth noting. Again, I'd really like to have a radiant damage option, but that would be up to the DM.

*keikaku means plan (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/just-as-planned)

So, to answer your question. Rogues do well in a skirmisher position throughout the first 1-14 levels of the game. They're utilizing both ranged and melee attacks. Once you make it to late game though, a Rogue doesn't really want to ever even risk getting hit by a big bad, so staying at range and utilizing a Bow will be ideal.
Crossbow, since rogues don't get extra attack (so loading isn't an issue) and the light crossbow does more damage than the shortbow. Longbow has more range and is easier to get as a racial weapon than the heavy crossbow, so I'd probably opt for the longbow if I had the proficiency.

That said, Cunning Action makes it a bit safer to run in, strike, and disengage. Mobile even more so, since I can use my bonus action to dash instead. BB will encourage the enemy not to follow me. Also, I can reach a CON of 14, which will help.

Obviously, I would likely always carry a rapier and crossbow/longbow so I have the option of going either way. Maybe if melee is too dangerous I could hang back and snipe.

For one, multiclassing might not be allowed with the group of randoms you're about to play with. However, if it is, I've bolded what I think is most fitting. You've dumped your Charisma, immediately ruling out Warlock or Paladin. That's fine though, as Fighter and Wizard give you fantastic bits for your character.
Good advice. I think thematically, it works better to dip into cleric, but from an optimization standpoint wizard would be the superior choice. Still unsure if I want to dump Wisdom or Charisma, but either way I wouldn't meet the requirements to multiclass (would only have 12 in non-dumped stat, need 13 to MC). I think a 1 level dip into cleric with only an 8 in WIS would still work, as there are plenty of spells that don't use my WIS mod. Also, if the DM is open to reworking some of the rules, I might be able to convince them to allow me to use INT for whichever class (warlock was apparently originally going to be INT anyway, and would make sense for a knowledge cleric).

Citan
2017-12-04, 08:02 PM
Hi OP.

I come in the thread a bit late, it seems that your thought process has deviated a bit when making a quick look at thread evolution, but I'll still answer your original post in hope it gives you a way to play the original idea. :)

So, as to first question, melee or ranged?
BOTH! Would be my usual answer.
Crossbow Expert is very nice to have, but taken alone is just a minor benefit you could replicate with dual-wielding (for a Rogue).
Sharpshooter is very nice to have, but taken alone it won't help THAT much your sustained damage (you don't want to use the high risk high damage thing, and the ignore cover / range will come in handy for sure, but maybe not as often as you'd like).
Having both make you a pretty decent ranged hitter, but at the hefty price of...
- overinvesting in those ASI: Rogue gets 6 indeed, but you want to max DEX, bump INT to 14/16, CON same, and probably a nice feat such as Skulker, Alert, Mobile, Mage Slayer or even Observant, Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate.
- underusing all the other great Rogue features, including bonus action (since you count on using it as a safe for Sneak Attack, where you could instead Hide for other benefits) and Uncanny Dodge (you DON'T want to be surrounded, or even just sandwiched, however you can stand ground pretty well against a lone enemy: that's always something taken off the plate of your pals).

As for BB and GFB: as you said, they are powerful but make your turn an all or nothing one. Fear not though, there are solutions for this.

Meet the best of both worlds: be a dual wielder, grab Booming Blade early, take Mobile feat, and if possible/allowed make a starting dip in Fighter for two-weapon fighting (bit of added damage) and Constitution proficiency (spares you Resilient: Constitution).
Another good choice could be Sharpshooter but value would diminish over time because Magical Ambush will get into play, although it would stay solid in narrow situations (basically enemies unreachable from normal means, and beyond also spell range).

So, why those suggestions? Because you are a frigging Roge ;)
With dual wielding, you can use daggers either melee or thrown (even if thrown, still triggers dual wielding benefit). Because dropping weapons does not require an action, you can drop one when you decide you need a free hand for casting.
Because you have a 20/60 (Sharpshooter) effective range WITHOUT EVEN MOVING, AND you are free to move at least 40 (Mobile), possibly 80 (Dash bonus action) you have several options to choose from depending on the situation.
Dangerous enemy, in a cluster? Keep distance, either casting a ranged cantrip or using a thrown dagger depending on his AC.
Dangerous enemy, but alone? Close in to strike then move back, either using Booming Blade + bonus action Dash or plain weapon attacks depending on priority (damage/soft control) and enemy distance.
You have an enemy closed in, you want to go strike another? You can Disengage from this one, run to another, strike him with Booming Blade and disengage freely (Mobile).
You run into aerial creatures? Accept that melee is not the answer to everything and switch to a longbow. :)