PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Power Attack/-5/+10 feat - suggestions?

Saiga
2017-12-03, 04:31 AM
So I want to add some feat support for unarmed strikes in order to make it slightly more viable for non-Monks to use unarmed strikes, especially if they've got a feature like racial claws or tavern brawler that gives them a 1d4 unarmed strike that isn't very useful on its own.

Obviously, one half of the feat is the ability to take -5/+10 on strength-based unarmed strikes (to keep it about as limited as GWM/SS, and so it isn't a feat tax/buff for Monks) but I'm struggling to come up with an idea for the second half that won't be recycling other feats or class features.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The only one I can think of is upgrading the damage die of unarmed strikes one step, but feats are generally created to have a non-specific benefit to them. I could make it a half-feat, but that's not super interesting.

LeonBH
2017-12-03, 05:09 AM
1. When you hit someone with an unarmed strike, you may choose if it deals slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing damage.

2. When you roll a 1 on your unarmed strike, you may reroll that die and you must keep the second result.

3. When you gain this ability, you gain a pool of Ki points. You have one Ki point, which recharges on a short or long rest. If you already have Ki points, you gain one more.

When you use your attack action to make an unarmed strike, you may spend the Ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.

You may spend the Ki point to take the Dash or Dodge action as a bonus action.

Talamare
2017-12-03, 05:42 AM
When you make an unarmed attack or an attack with a 1 handed weapon, you may suffer a -2 to your attack roll to grant the attack +3 damage.

Asmotherion
2017-12-03, 05:54 AM
So I want to add some feat support for unarmed strikes in order to make it slightly more viable for non-Monks to use unarmed strikes, especially if they've got a feature like racial claws or tavern brawler that gives them a 1d4 unarmed strike that isn't very useful on its own.

Obviously, one half of the feat is the ability to take -5/+10 on strength-based unarmed strikes (to keep it about as limited as GWM/SS, and so it isn't a feat tax/buff for Monks) but I'm struggling to come up with an idea for the second half that won't be recycling other feats or class features.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The only one I can think of is upgrading the damage die of unarmed strikes one step, but feats are generally created to have a non-specific benefit to them. I could make it a half-feat, but that's not super interesting.

I kinda like the Alter Self option a lot, so much in fact that I've actually used it a lot even when I really had more optimal choices (for Role Playing Reasons mostly, but when you're A Sorlock, you either Eldritch Blast every round or Try to come up with something more creative XD )

You can give the feat a pseudo-monk backround like magic initiate (training with a monk for example), and make their unnarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance. Then, give a cantrip progresion; At level 5 they get a +1 to attack rolls with unnarmed strikes, as long as they are unnarmed and not wearing heavy armor (gets in the way of movements), using str for the attack roll and not under the influence of rage, as it requires a calm mind to use this fighting style; At Level 11 and 17 the bonus increases to +2 and again +3.

Finally, add what you described. I think it makes for a good balance and does not leave a lot of loopholes for abuse. A monk will have to invest in Str to use it, a Fighter can't use it in Heavy Armor and a Barbarian can't use it wile Raging and/or wielding his weapon. It's sub-optimal for all of them, yet it's also great for all of them because it's their "Martial Arts Training" and a way to make a kung fu/karate great move.

Saiga
2017-12-03, 06:25 AM
I should have mentioned, the feat would be named either Pugilist/Scrapper and I'd prefer not to give it Monk abilities/flavour to give it its own identity.

I like the idea of choosing the damage type of the unarmed strikes. As I was coming up with ideas, I was thinking about how it can be annoying that features like racial claws change the damage type in order to get the boost to 1d4. It's probably not strong enough to be half the feat, but seems like a good third feature without being overpowered.

So, with an idea I had now come up with, how's this?:

Pugilist

You are well versed in physical brawls, able to deliver brutal strikes that exploit any weakness in your foes. You gain the following benefits:

*When you deal damage with an unarmed strike, you may choose to deal bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage, instead of the damage normal for an unarmed strike.
*When a creature within 5 feet of you spends movement to stand up from being prone, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.
*Before you make a melee attack with an unarmed strike using Strength, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage.

The second ability fits the design goal of a benefit that is less restrictive, as this reaction attack can be with any weapon.

LeonBH
2017-12-03, 06:38 AM
I water at the mouth for this feat, as a grappler. The reaction melee weapon attack triggered from this can technically be replaced by a grapple attempt, which means if successful, they cannot stand up as they try to do so.

+1

Saiga
2017-12-03, 06:44 AM
Grapple and Shove specifically only work with the Attack action, so by RAW they don't work with the feat. I'm worried that might be too powerful if it is allowed, though.

Oerlaf
2017-12-03, 09:02 AM
The second half could be one of the following:

When you move at least half your speed in a straight line toward a creature and hit it with an unarmed strike, your unarmed strike deals additional 1d12 damage to that creature

When you are prone, your unarmed attacks don't suffer disadvantage and if you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, you may immediately stand up as a bonus action without spending your movement.

When you score a critical hit with an unarmed strike, you may immediately make an additional unarmed strike against that opponent.

CantigThimble
2017-12-03, 11:57 AM
When you score a critical hit with an unarmed strike, you may immediately make an additional unarmed strike against that opponent.

Hold person, INFINITE ATTACKS! :smallbiggrin:

Saiga
2017-12-03, 03:45 PM
The second half could be one of the following:

When you move at least half your speed in a straight line toward a creature and hit it with an unarmed strike, your unarmed strike deals additional 1d12 damage to that creature

When you are prone, your unarmed attacks don't suffer disadvantage and if you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, you may immediately stand up as a bonus action without spending your movement.

The first and third abilities are too similar to Charger and GWM respectively, but I like the second for being very unique and flavourful.

That might be a safer ability to add, as the reaction attack for enemies getting up from prone may be too powerful.

Galactkaktus
2017-12-03, 04:22 PM
Hmm a mountain dwarf monk with this feat and heavily armored feat seems pretty strong. Standard array of 15,14,13,12,10,8
Level 1
17 Str
16 Con
13 Wis
12 Dex
10 Cha/Int
8 Cha/int

Level 4
Str 17
Con 16
Wis 13
Dex 12
Cha/int 10
Cha/int 8
the -5/+10 feat

Level 8
Str 18(heavily armoured)
Con 16
Wis 13
Dex 12
Cha/int 10
Cha/int 8
Heavily armoured
-5/+10 feat

At level 5 you whould have 4 attacks that can use -5/+10 you whould lose some ac and probably use a medium armor of some kind. And at level 8 the ac problem whould be kind of solved without delaying your attack attributes progression compared to other -5/+10.

Galactkaktus
2017-12-03, 04:29 PM
Hold person, INFINITE ATTACKS! :smallbiggrin:

It whouldn't be infinite since you "only" attack with advantage against paralyzed opponents so you can miss.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-04, 02:51 PM
When thinking about this I found it would be easier with an item rather than a feat.

Fist weapons/Brass knuckles/handwraps: Your unarmed strikes now do 1d6 Bludgeoning and have the Heavy property.

Doesn't help small races, and it's not truly "unarmed"

Saiga
2017-12-04, 03:40 PM
Why would helping small races be an issue? Small races can still use Sharpshooter.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-04, 05:17 PM
Why would helping small races be an issue? Small races can still use Sharpshooter.

For my specific implementation I mentioned in my post, small races would have disadvantage since the weapon is considered to have the Heavy property.

Easy_Lee
2017-12-04, 05:41 PM
Here's a crazy idea: combine with precision attack.

Boxer:
When you make an unarmed strike, you may choose to take -5 or +5 on the attack roll. If you do, add or subtract 10, respectively, on the damage roll.

Saiga
2017-12-04, 05:42 PM
For my specific implementation I mentioned in my post, small races would have disadvantage since the weapon is considered to have the Heavy property.

Sorry, I meant why would this need to be implemented to detriment small races? Is it because it'd feel silly for a small race to throw around hard-hitting, strong punches?

Potato_Priest
2017-12-04, 08:38 PM
Here's a crazy idea: combine with precision attack.

Boxer:
When you make an unarmed strike, you may choose to take -5 or +5 on the attack roll. If you do, add or subtract 10, respectively, on the damage roll.

Most of the time you'd end up dealing 0 damage though, given this is an unarmed strike.

Easy_Lee
2017-12-04, 09:03 PM
Most of the time you'd end up dealing 0 damage though, given this is an unarmed strike.

While that's true, it would be useful for landing certain kinds of attacks such as Stunning Strike.

kilpatds
2017-12-05, 01:07 AM
I feel like the 2nd half should be something durability related, since the archtype can take a beating....

1/ short rest, spend a reaction to gain resistance to a single non-magical bludgeoning or slashing attack?
1/ short rest, spend a hit-die as a bonus action?
Half of "Tough" ? (HP maximum increases by your level, and goes up by an additional 1 each level)

GlenSmash!
2017-12-05, 03:18 PM
Sorry, I meant why would this need to be implemented to detriment small races? Is it because it'd feel silly for a small race to throw around hard-hitting, strong punches?

No, it's because it's easy.

Adding the Heavy property makes Unarmed strikes now work with GWM, so no other feat is needed. I've done it with a few other weapons, like special Longswords and such.

Saiga
2017-12-05, 03:51 PM
No, it's because it's easy.

Adding the Heavy property makes Unarmed strikes now work with GWM, so no other feat is needed. I've done it with a few other weapons, like special Longswords and such.

Oops, I completely missed that the new item worked with GWM. I thought the extra damage on the item was a substitute for a -5/+10 ability.

GlenSmash!
2017-12-05, 04:46 PM
Oops, I completely missed that the new item worked with GWM. I thought the extra damage on the item was a substitute for a -5/+10 ability.

I could have been more clear in my other post.

Overall i like your idea too. I just like post about other options too Gives the other play-grounders something to think about.