PDA

View Full Version : Are mounts/vehicles = tools?

bbrown12
2017-12-03, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I have some questions concerning Tools.

1.) If a class or a talent lets me choose a Tool, does that involve mounts and vehicles?

2.) Do mounts like horses count as "land vehicles"?

3.) There only water and land vehicles, right?

Kind regards.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-12-03, 10:12 AM
1. Only vehicles are handled with a tool proficiency. Riding a mount falls under Animal Handling.

2. No.

3. In the PHB, yes. Settings with flying ships and such might add air as another category.

Requilac
2017-12-03, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I have some questions concerning Tools.

1.) If a class or a talent lets me choose a Tool, does that involve mounts and vehicles?

Kind regards.

1) I think that by RAW if you are given a choice of tool proficiencies to gain than you may receive proficiency in land or water vehicles (soldiers (background) gain proficiency with land vehicles and it is marked in the tool proficiency section after all) , but if you are determining starting equipment then you cannot start out with a stead, although you may start out with a boat of wagon. That seems to be what it is saying, but I could have missed something.

2) strangely, no. Proficiency with Land vehicles allows you to control a wagon or cart that is being driven by horses better, but horses themselves do not count as land vehicles.

3) yes there is only land and water vehicles. The DMG mentions air vehicles such as flying ships though, but that is only a variant rule.

I would advise checking through the mounts and vehicles section in the equipment chapter of the PHB. It should answer most of your questions.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-03, 10:40 AM
I agree with the others.

1) Vehicle proficiencies count as tool proficiencies as far as I'm concerned. Mounts are a separate thing, and you'd use the Animal Handling skill for handling/knowing about them.

2) No.

3) In the PHB, yes. The airship in the DMG implies vehicles (air) is a possibility, but that's setting-dependent. Forgotten Realms, for example, definitely has flying vehicles. I've been working on a space setting recently, which obviously has space vehicles (though we decided to make that a skill, Piloting, rather than a tool because of how central it is to the setting).

bbrown12
2017-12-03, 11:04 AM
Thanks for your replies! :-)