PDA

View Full Version : Magical Beasts Wild Shapes

Staige
2017-12-03, 07:40 PM
So in Frostburn 48, there is a feat called Frozen Wild Shape, that most people refer to as CryoHydra form. It allows you to turn into Magical beasts with the subtype cold.

If you follow the same logic, could there be a feat for Magical Beasts subtype Fire? I couldn't find anything in the books I searched through or online, so homebrew obviously, but would DMs be likley to allow It?

Just to add a bit more to it, could there be feats for other types of Magical beasts? I know there's the epic feat for all Magical Beasts but not all campaigns go to epic levels.

ATHATH
2017-12-03, 08:29 PM
The Exalted Wild Shape feat gives you a few Wild Shape forms.

Won't being able to turn into magical beasts with the [Fire] subtype mean that you could turn into a Pyrohydra?

Necroticplague
2017-12-03, 08:49 PM
Planar Shepherd also lets you turn into all Magical Beasts on a chosen plane. Which, depending on your choice of plane, and be either fairly expansive, or at least a lot of them.

Staige
2017-12-03, 09:41 PM
Planar Shepherd also lets you turn into all Magical Beasts on a chosen plane. Which, depending on your choice of plane, and be either fairly expansive, or at least a lot of them.

From my research, I've seen that as the most commonly banned prestige class.

The Exalted Wild Shape feat gives you a few Wild Shape forms.

Won't being able to turn into magical beasts with the [Fire] subtype mean that you could turn into a Pyrohydra?

That was one of the reasons I was curious about it, I like the idea of having that be a main form for a character.

Celestia
2017-12-03, 10:56 PM
Personally, I'd allow it. I'm not that well versed in the monster manual, but as far as I recall, fire magical beasts are no more unbalancing than cold magical beasts.

I'm not sure how else to group magical beasts together for a third feat, though. There are no other convenient subtypes to work off of, so you'll either have to spend time to write out lists or base the qualifications off of common language descriptions which are open to ambiguity and, thus, disagreement and argument. I don't know that it would work.

Malimar
2017-12-03, 11:02 PM
From my research, I've seen that as the most commonly banned prestige class.
The normal-table problem is a Druid loses almost nothing from going Planar Shepherd, so it's a clear upgrade with no downside.

The cheese problem is that some choices of plane make some of the abilities incredibly powerful.

But if the Planar Shepherd picks a normal plane with not fast time and no particularly powerful exotic natives and so on, they don't get much more than the Druid would get normally.

Of course, when you combine "most powerful class in the game" with "clear upgrade", then an entirely reasonable table could ban it even with non-exotic planes. But those tables should probably ban base Druid, too.

eggynack
2017-12-04, 01:06 AM
Personally, I'd allow it. I'm not that well versed in the monster manual, but as far as I recall, fire magical beasts are no more unbalancing than cold magical beasts.
Cold magical beasts are weirdly absent from the game, to the point where that really short list associated with the feat is a surprisingly near complete one. That means two things. First, that it really wouldn't take a lot for fire magical beasts to exceed cold ones, and second, that there's unlikely to be a crazy amount associated with the specific type (subtype). That said, I did a quick check through a few sources (FF, MM II, MM III, and Sandstorm), and didn't find anything too interesting. It's unlikely that this would match up to aberration or dragon, even if it could plausibly exceed frozen.

Inevitability
2017-12-04, 01:40 AM
A custom feat (Blazing Wildshape?) wouldn't be more broken than Frozen Wildshape. That is, still overpowered, but okay for a tier 1/2 game.