PDA

View Full Version : magic item for Detect Magic or Arcane Sight

ayvango
2017-12-04, 01:52 AM
Is there any? I would prefer something continuous. n minutes / day is possible too. Would be used by rogue for searching magic traps.

Nifft
2017-12-04, 02:33 AM
MIC has the Dagger of Denial (relic of Vecna; lets you detect magic at will but only if you worship Vecna).

Mike Miller
2017-12-04, 09:07 AM
Is there any? I would prefer something continuous. n minutes / day is possible too. Would be used by rogue for searching magic traps.

You could make a custom item, too. Check the item creation guidelines.

weckar
2017-12-04, 09:10 AM
Artificer's Monocle is great once you do get this. It pays itself back reaaaally fast.

Plus, it's a monocle...

ayvango
2017-12-04, 10:37 AM
Artificer's Monocle is great once you do get this. It pays itself back reaaaally fast.

Plus, it's a monocle...
But it requires you to cast detect magic aforehand. And rogue could not cast it. Well, it always can UMD some eternal wand.

I could create custom magic item. But what price should I assign to it? It is too convenient magic, may be 2x gold modifier is apropriate. Amulet that grants tensor floating disk, necklace that grants unseen servant and elven hand that grants mage hand spell are perfect examples of how low level continuous spell items could differs in price drastically.

Mike Miller
2017-12-04, 11:15 AM
By the guidelines it is 2,000gp. If you feel that is too cheap then raise the price. Considering it is a cantrip and some classes can detect magic at will, it doesn't sound so bad. There is a spellcraft check associated with it for important info. So even if you can detect it, you may not know what it is.

Geddy2112
2017-12-04, 11:44 AM
Cloak of the hedge wizard-if made with the divination school it gives detect magic at will. 2500 shoulder item

Triple eyes of vivid auras gives greater detect magic 3/day and ability to detect multiple auras.

You can put detect magic and arcane sight on yourself via permanancy, 2500 and 7500 gp respectively. That said, you have to be able to cast all of those yourself...

Gruftzwerg
2017-12-04, 12:18 PM
You can put detect magic and arcane sight on yourself via permanancy, 2500 and 7500 gp respectively. That said, you have to be able to cast all of those yourself...

Just UMD the scrolls.

Petrukio
2017-12-06, 08:40 PM

A wayfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/wayfinder-standard/) with the Discerning enhancement (Pathfinder Society Primer 29) has Detect Magic at will.