PDA

View Full Version : Strange slimy seeded pomegranates: still safe to eat?

Togath
2017-12-04, 08:28 AM
So I opened up a pomegranate today, and found the seeds/arils coated in a translucent scentless slime in a few portions...
I rinsed it off, and the seeds/arils seem to smell and look normal... think it's still edible? Or is it some sort of mold I'm not familiar with?

Fri
2017-12-07, 03:38 AM
What do you mean by slime? Are you sure it's not just pomegranate being pomegranate? I might misremember, but I'm kinda sure pomegranates always have a kind of "slime" covering their flesh.

Kneenibble
2017-12-07, 09:54 AM
Truth be told, no pomegranate is safe to eat. The flesh of their rind is too much like the skin of man ruddied with the scarlet of his sins; nor can eyes look upon their jewel-like seeds without kindling a flame of greed and licentiousness. It is better that the fruit itself had begun to rot before you ate it, for its nature be worse that it rot the soul. Keep honest fruits in your mouth like the pear or the plum, in whose simplicity no spiritual peril so lurks.

JeenLeen
2017-12-07, 10:32 AM
I don't have a good answer, but you could search online for pictures of good pomegranates and see if some of those look like what you have. You could also search for pictures of spoiled or moldy ones and compare.

Truth be told, no pomegranate is safe to eat. The flesh of their rind is too much like the skin of man ruddied with the scarlet of his sins; nor can eyes look upon their jewel-like seeds without kindling a flame of greed and licentiousness. It is better that the fruit itself had begun to rot before you ate it, for its nature be worse that it rot the soul. Keep honest fruits in your mouth like the pear or the plum, in whose simplicity no spiritual peril so lurks.

This gave me a chuckle. Thank you.
It also reminds me that, after reading the Greek myth of Persephone being stuck in the underworld from eating seeds of this, I didn't know it was a real fruit but thought it was some mythical thing. So I felt really odd about eating it when I found out it was real, since my only association was it sealing one in the underworld.

Togath
2017-12-07, 01:02 PM

Okay, that was awesome~ :3

As for the pomegranate itself... I rinsed it off, ate it, and nothing bad happened. Yay for... science?(science being defined here as eating a questionable food to find out if you can:smalltongue:)
Near as I can tell, an aril or two popped before it was opened, and their juices formed into a weird syrup in areas nearby.

Kneenibble
2017-12-07, 02:02 PM
It is said by those blessed with spiritual vision that the buttocks of the Fallen One, of whom Pluton is a guise, are two pomegranates.

Serpentine
2017-12-10, 07:39 AM
Truth be told, no pomegranate is safe to eat. The flesh of their rind is too much like the skin of man ruddied with the scarlet of his sins; nor can eyes look upon their jewel-like seeds without kindling a flame of greed and licentiousness. It is better that the fruit itself had begun to rot before you ate it, for its nature be worse that it rot the soul. Keep honest fruits in your mouth like the pear or the plum, in whose simplicity no spiritual peril so lurks.KNEENIBBLE
YOU'RE BACK
AAAAAAAAAAA

On topic: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯