PDA

View Full Version : Master of the skies

CMagnum
2017-12-04, 02:43 PM
I am creating a character for a beginning level 10 with friends: all books allowed this campaign. I want to fly, create storms and rain electric bolts down on my enemies! As a bonus could I possibly make my familiar immune to electricity? I'm thinking so far If I play focusedevoker5/stormcaster5

Feat progression :
Human1: sudden still
Lvl1: improved initiative
Lvl3:, improved familiar/craft wondrous
Lvl5(wiz)energy substitution electricity
Lvl6 storm bolt
Lvl9 ____
Thinking level 12 arcane thesis chain lightning.

As I will be focusing on electricity, how can I deal with immunities?

Ready route focused evoker5/stormcaster5

How would you go about crafting conductive metallic explosive objects that can be dropped on the ground and triggered later or immediately? Light enough for a small creature/familiar to carry.

Banned schools: enchantment, necromancy and illusion. Tell me your choice

daremetoidareyo
2017-12-04, 05:01 PM
Lord of the sky is a 5th level spell in the dragon magic supplement that does exactly what you want

ShurikVch
2017-12-05, 08:10 AM
Note: Arcane Weather article (Dragon #308) have Aeromancer PrC
It's 5 levels long, 2/5 CL progression, may be entered at 12th level, and have, basically, three class features:
Magical Flux/Augmented Magical Flux: Aeromancer surrounded with 50' spread of weather, within which spells of selected school (or descriptor) are automatically got benefits of metamagic feat with +1 adjustment; "Augmented" allow to select second school or descriptor
Deadening Air/Augmented Deadening Air: as Magical Flux, except when a spell with selected school (or descriptor) cast, caster should make a successful Spellcraft check to cast it, or spell wouldn't work
Transcend Weather: Aeromancer may ignore unwanted direct effects of weather, both magical and not
Create Magical Storm: Aeromancer can cause magical storms described in the article
Arcane Storm
Divine Storm (Chaotic, Evil, Good, or Lawful)
Fire Storm
Hell Storm
Murderous Heat
Plague Winds
Psychic Storm

Also, are you sure about the Arcane route?
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/18/75/57/187557bcb22d305008a3e4d3818c7e05.jpg
Stormlord (Faiths and Pantheons) doesn't lose CL at 1st level...

Gruftzwerg
2017-12-05, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't you be better with a refluffed warlock? Refluff Eldritch Blast to look more like dark lightning and use Eldritch Chain for even more lightning fluff.
The dmg is untyped, so you don't need to deal with immunities and can claim that your lightning is superior to normal lightning.
The Fell Flight invocation gives your 24h fly.
Add Obtain Familiar (feat) to get your Familiar as warlock and you are ready to go.

weckar
2017-12-05, 09:09 AM
Eldritch Chain is good, but if you're soaring high above Eldritch Spear is better.
Can't actually create weather effects, though.

Gruftzwerg
2017-12-05, 09:33 AM
Can't actually create weather effects, though.

No, but you could emulate/visualize em via "Nightmares Made Real" (aka Nightmare Terrain).

weckar
2017-12-05, 09:49 AM
No, but you could emulate/visualize em via "Nightmares Made Real" (aka Nightmare Terrain).

Feels a bit fraudy, especially as in the current plan the idea seems to have been to ban all 'mental' effects.

Thinking about it, that weird Druid entry into Eldritch Disciple would fit the bill quite well.

CMagnum
2017-12-06, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the ideas, the suggested PRC is an interesting one although I losing more than one spellcaster level is usually pretty tough on a character. The warlock idea looks effective and potentially just what I was thinking if the DM agrees to the refluff.