PDA

View Full Version : So saw the movie Krampus a while back and it made me think

Spacehamster
2017-12-04, 04:53 PM
Anyone done any christmas themed adventure for D&D, like a town beset by evil Demonic santa + twisted followers?!
And if so what were it about and were it appreciated? :)

Dalebert
2017-12-04, 11:55 PM
Anyone done any christmas themed adventure for D&D, like a town beset by evil Demonic santa + twisted followers?!
And if so what were it about and were it appreciated? :)

Yep! Just last Christmas, also inspired by Krampus. I ran it on the fly and shooting from the hip. All that considered, I think it went pretty well. It was intended to be kind of a mystery but everyone guessed Krampus and they were right. Even so it was fun. I'd like to tweak it and fine tune it with a few more and better red herrings to preserve the mystery a little longer.

Some early encounters involved festive lawn decorations that animated (scare crows), red caps and boggles, and Nilbog with some backup goblins. Nilbog was actually a diplomatic encounter where he helped out the party. I forget what his motivations for helping were.

Ended with a burning man style sacrificial ceremony where some captured adults were in wooden cages shaped like people and there were several bonfires. PCs had to stop Krampus who came flying in on a sled pulled by yeth hounds. I believe I gave him the stats of a chain demon(?) and he could cast Thorn Whip as a legendary action. The intention was to pull the PCs into the bonfires but I didn't plan it well and he needed more mobility to position well for it.

The kids were in a big sack on his sled and there was a gaping hole to the Abyss that closed when they defeated him.

Arkhios
2017-12-05, 12:05 AM
Can't go wrong with Redcaps! :D

Spacehamster
2017-12-05, 06:11 AM
Yep! Just last Christmas, also inspired by Krampus. I ran it on the fly and shooting from the hip. All that considered, I think it went pretty well. It was intended to be kind of a mystery but everyone guessed Krampus and they were right. Even so it was fun. I'd like to tweak it and fine tune it with a few more and better red herrings to preserve the mystery a little longer.

Some early encounters involved festive lawn decorations that animated (scare crows), red caps and boggles, and Nilbog with some backup goblins. Nilbog was actually a diplomatic encounter where he helped out the party. I forget what his motivations for helping were.

Ended with a burning man style sacrificial ceremony where some captured adults were in wooden cages shaped like people and there were several bonfires. PCs had to stop Krampus who came flying in on a sled pulled by yeth hounds. I believe I gave him the stats of a chain demon(?) and he could cast Thorn Whip as a legendary action. The intention was to pull the PCs into the bonfires but I didn't plan it well and he needed more mobility to position well for it.

The kids were in a big sack on his sled and there was a gaping hole to the Abyss that closed when they defeated him.

That sounds very entertaining, thanks for sharing! :)