PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Creation Help

kalos72
2017-12-04, 05:21 PM
I want to duplicate the Orb of Dragonkind's ability to call or attract a particular race of common monster.

So Orb of Troll Calling for example, with the power to attract all trolls in a 1-5-50 mile radius or something.

How would a mge build that?

Thurbane
2017-12-04, 07:42 PM
Summon Undead III can summon a troll (skeleton). :smallbiggrin:

...if you're looking for a way to summon large numbers of trolls, there's the Avatar of the Horde magic event in DMG II.

kalos72
2017-12-04, 08:20 PM
I missed the artifact piece...

When you summon, doesnt it create the summons out of air or does it physically pull it from the local area? I had always assumed it was magically created versus a local creature teleported to you.

The intent was to use the device to clear an area of specific creatures, trolls here.

What if the Pipes of the Sewer were organs or horns, to increase the range? Maybe make a few of them and have people play them inline 400ft apart?

Baby Gary
2017-12-04, 08:27 PM
I missed the artifact piece...

When you summon, doesnt it create the summons out of air or does it physically pull it from the local area? I had always assumed it was magically created versus a local creature teleported to you.

The intent was to use the device to clear an area of specific creatures, trolls here.

What if the Pipes of the Sewer were organs or horns, to increase the range? Maybe make a few of them and have people play them inline 400ft apart?

just take the Pipes of the Sewer and stick some Alphorn in them [S&S], they have a range of 1d10 miles

unseenmage
2017-12-04, 11:36 PM
The Sympathy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sympathy.htm) spell could be what you're looking for.

weckar
2017-12-05, 09:33 AM
I am not sure why you need magic here at all. Is the art of baiting traps truly lost?

Jay R
2017-12-05, 09:56 AM
Just substitute "Troll food", and you're all set. I'm sure you'll have just as much success as Wile E. Coyote usually does.

http://www.thegreatfitnessexperiment.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/free-bird-seed.jpg