PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Swashbuckler

jmuells
2017-12-04, 06:07 PM
So we recently started a campaign where my rogue died in his earlier levels. I am now playing his grandfather, a young reincarnated druid who is seeking to level up in order to cast or buy true redirection to bring back his grandson. Assuming I can buy it around level 12 I wanted to making an interesting build using xanathar subclasses.

First levels rogue swashbuckler
One level fighter for two weapon fighting.
Level 10, 11, and 12 in warlock hexblade.

I like the charisma synergy. Charisma would be my main stat and dex would be my second.

Eldritch invocations:
-Thirsting blade for 2 attacks with pact blade
-Lifedrinker for additional charisma damage to attacks

Hexblade warrior says the charisma modifier extends to pact weapons, so I'm assuming that means I can have 2 weapons that rely on charisma from it. The weapon I channel my will into during my long rest and my pact weapon.
With two weapon fighting that makes it 3 attacks per turn with the invocation.
Make both of them rapiers with the dual wielding feat.

So at level 12 I can get 1d8+dex+cha x 3, with probably a 4d6 sneak attack in there somewhere from the swashbuckler stuff.

I don't have my characters stats on me, they're at my DMs. But I think my highest 2 are dex and con, at 18 and 15 respeectively. It'll be so long since I used the character, that I am pretty sure my DM will let me rearrange the stat numbers into different abilities.

On a side note, my character is a bugbear with a hat of disguise, he was reincarnated in our last pathfinder campaign when he died as a drunk monk. When we switched to 5e, our DM said we had to either make new characters or explain why they lost all their levels/powers. I said that my character moved from drinking too much to being addicted to opiods, hit rock bottom and began stealing to support his habit.

Our bugbear was just a dex based reskin of a half orc for 5e. So he has relentless endourance and savage attacker feats.

Role-playing wise, he made a pact with his otherworldly patron while his soul was in another plane and I guess trained with the raven queen or something.

Basically my question is, is there anything I'm missing that doesn't make this a good build? Or anything I am misunderstanding?

Sception
2017-12-04, 06:21 PM
Per errata, the level requirements for warlock invocations are warlock levels, not character levels. Means you'll need hexblade 5 to pick up the extra attack, and the bonus cha damage is probably out of reach if you plan on gaining many levels in swashbuckler.

Mikal
2017-12-04, 06:30 PM
Plus you wouldnt get dex to damage. Cha replaces it in Hex Warrior, it doesn't add it.

You could go Swashbuckler 4/Fighter whatever/Hexblade 12+

I'd start Hexblade first for Hex Warrior, then go Fighter and Swashbuckler

jmuells
2017-12-04, 07:40 PM
Well pooh, haha. Well that lets me take devil's sight and use the darkness spell in combat. Then at that point I would either take mask of many faces for fun or agonizing blast to give me a range option upgrade.

So that would be 1d8+charisma x 2, and 4d6 sneak. I guess at that level I lose 2d6 that I would get from straight rogue sneak.

Thats not too weak right? I do gain the Hexblade curse which is nice. Plus a range option from Eldritch blast.

jmuells
2017-12-04, 07:57 PM
my character did die a rogue so I don't think my dm will let me say his first level was warlock
I was really hoping to just add flavor to the rogue class. What makes more levels in warlock better than focusing on rogue?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-12-04, 08:07 PM
my character did die a rogue so I don't think my dm will let me say his first level was warlock
I was really hoping to just add flavor to the rogue class. What makes more levels in warlock better than focusing on rogue?

spells, invocations and other warlock goodies. Given the option to start at level 12 straight hexblade is my choice. level 12 warlock has a lot going for it, considering smite and life drink and improved pact weapon. the option to be both melee and ranged at the drop of a hat without having to use EB is pretty good too with no damage falloff save for he weapon choice. Rogue cerainly has a lot of benefits too though and i can see going the other way around.

Personally i would build Hexblade 12/ Swashbuckler 4/ X +4

Options for X include
-Fighter
-Paladin
-Ranger (revised more than phb)
-Sorcerer
-Barbarian
-Bard

All add something unique and fun and you could always just put more levels in warlock or rogue.