PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ranger/Fighter Help

Malapterus
2017-12-04, 09:44 PM
I am considering a Dwarf Rogue for a character to add as mine to a game I've been invited to, but to a large degree that is just an exercise in nonsense for my own amusement. The party already has a rogue (archetype unknown) and while it would be nice to make use of Thieves' Cant I am not sure if this dwarf rogue assassin is going to bring a lot to the party.

The party has, prior to my arrival, lamented their need for a Ranger, and they do not have anyone who fits the 'ranged attack' role outside of spellcasters, so a Ranger might be a good idea. I do Rangers well and I like archers, so it's a good fit.

I'm currently on board as an NPC Fighter of high level and I've also found that class very attractive, as it seems to work around a lot of things I do not like about 5E.

With all that in mind, I am thinking my best option might be a Ranger(Hunter) who moves into a Fighter (Battle Master) at some point.

Ranger 11/Fighter 9 seems nice because I'd be able to get Volley and a lot of spells. I'd end up with a total of three attacks per turn at level 20 when Volley is not useable & three maneuvers I can use a decent amount in a fight.

My biggest interest is Volley, and the level 7 features of Hunter do not really stand out to me.

Ranger 5/Fighter 15 would give me an eventual FOUR attacks per round, all the basic Ranger stuff that benefits the party, and eventual recharging Superiority Dice. I'd be able to control the fight from my sniper's perch; tripping and pushing and making openings and such with my Battle Master Maneuvers, all throughout the course of the fight. That said, I wouldn't get the recharging dice till level 20, at which point I presume the game is basically over. I'd have 19 levels of roughly the same maneuver ability as I would with the first build, but I'd lose out on the Volley attack. In exchange I also understand I'd be getting my maneuvers much sooner, more to the benefit of my party.

I'm pretty new to 5E so any input or advice on this would be welcome.

Marvnmartian
2017-12-04, 11:03 PM
It depends on if you are going to be using the revised ranger and if you know if the dm is a mob dm that likes to throw a lot of things at you or one big thing.

Personally I run a Stout Halfling Battlemaster 20 no multi w/ sharpshooter and Crossbow expert the dm I ran it let me hand crossbow + shield cheese it up but just taking sharpshooter and a long bow would be perfectly fine for all situations.

-----20 Battlemaster---20 Battlemaster---------20 hunter------------20 hunter
-------------------------------- w CBE---------------------------------- w CBE
R1---8d8+40+80=184 ---9d6+45+90=189---4d8+15+20=67---3d6+3d8+20+30=92
R2---8d8+40+80=184---9d6+45+90=189---8d8+25+40=129---4d6+4d8+25+40=121
R3---4d8+20+40=92----5d6+25+50=105---8d8+25+40=129---4d6+4d8+25+40=121
R4---4d8+20+40=92----5d6+25+50=105---8d8+25+40=129---4d6+4d8+25+40=121
R5---4d8+20+40=92----5d6+25+50=105---8d8+25+40=129---4d6+4d8+25+40=121
--------Total= 644--------Total= 696-----------Total=583--------------Total=576
----------------------------------------------655 w/ Favored enemy----652 w/Favored enemy

quick math I did a long time ago, the way i figured it was all attacks hit and do max damage to simplify math. to get the ranger even close in single target they had to use swift quiver in their first round which is why they jump up to 129 but the double action surge burst of a battlemaster fighter + the 6 superiority dice they can conceivably hit for 440 damage or 450 damage w cbe in 2 turns which is nuts

Now if your dm will throw packs of mobs at you the ranger becomes more viable and if you want the extra tracking/spells that let you do more then punch stuff then go for it but tbh if you arn't using the UA revised ranger I wouldn't even bother with the class tbh

2D8HP
2017-12-05, 12:43 AM
......Rogue..

....Ranger...

...Fighter........
I haven't played one yet but the Gloom Stalker subclass from Xanthar's is making Ranger much more attractive, but you mentioned an interest in playing a "Dwarf Rogue", as well Fighter and that makes me think of my favorite "build", the Fighter/Rogue.

If you want the "saves", HP, and Heavy armor proficiency start as a Fighter, but if you want an extra skill start as Rogue then, just as long as some chump brave obliging other PC with high AC and/or HP stands next to an antagonist so you may use Rogue's Sneak Attack, combined with Fighters or Rangers Archery Fighting Style and put arrows in the green and scaly types eyes, like magic!

Fighters "Second Wind" and Rogues expertise in Athletics, Perception, and/or Stealth are nice as well.

opaopajr
2017-12-05, 05:05 AM
Seems like playing to lvl 20 is a given.

I'd make a selection on what would feel to me the most fun in play, and still cover the table request to fill a certain gap. Are they specifically looking for all the Ranger exploration utility from Favored Terrain, et alia, or are they just wanting more ranged attack throughput? That answer alone might break the tie between Ranger & Fighter.