PDA

View Full Version : Heroism: does it stack with itself?

goatmeal
2017-12-04, 10:41 PM
So you can't gain temporary hit points from more than one source (you only get the best result, not the combination). But Heroism is triggered at the start of each turn. So if you gain 2 temporary hp at the start of your turn from heroism, and then take no damage that turn, are you still at 2 temporary hp, or does it go up to 4?

Composer99
2017-12-04, 10:49 PM
So you can't gain temporary hit points from more than one source (you only get the best result, not the combination). But Heroism is triggered at the start of each turn. So if you gain 2 temporary hp at the start of your turn from heroism, and then take no damage that turn, are you still at 2 temporary hp, or does it go up to 4?

You're still at 2, because "[t]he effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine" (PHB 205 or online here (https://www.5thsrd.org/spellcasting/casting_a_spell/)).

Eragon123
2017-12-04, 11:09 PM

I think just 2 unfortunately. Although I could see a DM allowing that spell to charge up as it is a single source and they disappear at the end of the spell.

Main point of concern is the following.

PHB 198

If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or gain the new ones.

This part doesn't specify distinct or separate sources. Indeed the following example is almost an upcasted Heroism.

For example, if a spell grants you 12 temporary hit hit points when you already have 10, you can have either 12 or 10, not 22.

You're still at 2, because "[t]he effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine" (PHB 205 or online here (https://www.5thsrd.org/spellcasting/casting_a_spell/)).

It's not multiple castings though. Heroism has a duration.

bid
2017-12-04, 11:11 PM
So you can't gain temporary hit points from more than one source (you only get the best result, not the combination).
Not exactly.

If you have temporary hit points and receive more of them, you decide whether to keep the ones you have or to gain the new ones.

And... ninja'd.:smallbiggrin:

Composer99
2017-12-05, 12:32 AM
It's not multiple castings though. Heroism has a duration.

So would most spells where you might fall foul of the restriction in the combining magical effects rule.

That said, I must have misinterpreted goatmeal's inquiry (in part, I suspect, since goatmeal already referred to the temporary hit points rule). I had originally meant to bring up the rules you and bid did, but thought better of it based on the thread title and goatmeal's original post, thinking goatmeal instead meant multiple castings of heroism, rather than the single tick each turn of temporary hp from one casting.

I suppose I didn't English very well earlier today. :smallredface:

goatmeal
2017-12-05, 08:32 AM
Thanks everyone.