PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 spell storing infusion cast time

Cyruskane
2017-12-05, 12:58 AM
Hey everyone, I've been playing an artificer lately and have no idea what to make of the spell storing infusion.
Let's say I designate a rock as the item to be infused, take 1 min to cast it, and store a magic missile spell (lv 1, UMD DC:23) in the process.
How do I get the spell back out of the rock? *Standard action like the Spell?
*Free action like the weapon enhancement "spell storing" if I hit someone?
*Do I need to make another UMD check to cast it from the rock like a wand/scroll?

Nifft
2017-12-05, 01:13 AM
A spell storing weapon will accept a spell, and then discharge the spell it contains when you hit a target with the weapon.

If you put magic missile in a spell storing rock, then I assume you'd need to hit someone with the rock before the Infusion's duration ran out.

rel
2017-12-05, 02:54 AM
I believe the spell storing infusion functions like a scroll so you need to make a UMD check, it takes an action, provokes, etc.

Forrestfire
2017-12-05, 12:37 PM
Hey everyone, I've been playing an artificer lately and have no idea what to make of the spell storing infusion.
Let's say I designate a rock as the item to be infused, take 1 min to cast it, and store a magic missile spell (lv 1, UMD DC:23) in the process.
*Do I need to make another UMD check to cast it from the rock like a wand/scroll?

The spell-storing item infusion creates a 1-charge wand. It works like a normal wand, including the activation time and needing to make another UMD check.

Necroticplague
2017-12-05, 01:47 PM

The Infusion says

This infusion allows you to place a spell effect into an item to draw it forth later, at your command. The item becomes, in effect, a wand with a single charge, which only you can use.
So, other than it's form, treat it exactly as a wand. So, in order:
1: Standard action, like all other wands.
2:Yes, like any other wand.