PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Ideas You'll Never Get to Play?

atemu1234
2017-12-05, 03:02 AM
I've realized as of late that I have a whole bunch of ideas for campaigns that I may never get to play - or, if I've done something TO play these campaigns, I'll never properly finish them or have abandoned them.

My favorites thusfar:

- All the players are low-epic evil spellcasters seeking to kill the god of death and ascend to his position. Each is in command of a nation, and must work together until they must, eventually, defeat each other to become the sole god of death. I would do this, but frankly I don't have enough players interested in 'spellcasting', and I'm already running two campaigns and am a part of at least four others at any given time.
- The players are a group of demonslayers in a world ravaged by an otherworldly 'Taint'. They must travel through the Abyss and seek out the Scythe of a legendary hero/living god, in order to sever the connection between the Abyss and their homeworld. The kicker- it's in the lowest layer, and it's greatest protector is the legendary hero herself, corrupted by millennia of Abyssal corruption.
- The players are criminals who have been specially released by a kingdom to serve as its protectors, a la 'Cyber City Oedo 808', save for the fact it's set in a medieval fantasy kingdom.

Anyone else have campaign ideas they'll probably never get to use?

Luccan
2017-12-05, 03:30 AM
Planar Incursion: A low-mid level game about travelling through the planes. The idea was a world where portals to other planes opened every few hundred years or so and there was a huge influx of interplanar trade. But I don't know nearly enough about the planes to provide good adventures, particularly for a lower level party, for whom planar travel would be more dangerous.

Inevitability
2017-12-05, 03:57 AM
Basically 'magical SCP foundation'.

Ages ago, a great war devastated the world, in no small part due to rampant magic put to horrific uses. The conflict only ended when the flow of magic itself got disrupted, ending the many empires now reliant on the supernatural to sustain themselves (basically, the world got turned E6).

After the war, now-weakened mages from a variety of nations banded together to prevent anything like this from happening ever again. They decided that it was best of the very existence of magic was hidden from the public, and proceeded to subtly aid the reconstruction of civilization, but this time with magic as nothing more than a myth.

They still rule from behind the scenes. They capture and study magical beasts, excavate ruins to remove ancient artifacts, and kidnap/recruit fledgeling sorcerers before they learn how to control their powers, all with the reasoning that magic is simply too dangerous to allow to randomly exist amongst the uncontrolled civilian population.

The players could be playing as agents for this faction, as 'free' mages who are trying to evade capture, or as members of another faction with vastly different goals (hoard magic to re-establish one of the old empires, re-introduce magic for the betterment of humanity, sacrifice all to the gods of madness).

flappeercraft
2017-12-05, 08:00 AM
Well I made a small campaign setting out of boredom and Epic NPCs for it and even created lore, important clans, empires, etc. Unfortunately I have no one to play it with, but it is fun to develop it further.

The_Iron_Lord
2017-12-05, 11:19 AM
This idea isn't exactly mine, and who knows, maybe I'll get to play/run it one day, but...
The players are ordinary guardsfolk in an ordinary town, when a drow/something else raid hits the city. The PCs are overpowered and taken as slaves. They have to survive as slaves in the drow/whatever world, and eventually rise in station/escape/stage a revolution.

Calmer
2017-12-05, 11:37 AM
Had a few ideas about a Scooby-Doo-esque campaign, with players traveling from town to town, defeating various monsters. Some turn out to be Old Man Withers or whatever, while others are the real deal.

Unsurprisingly, the Shaggy-Daphne-Velma-Fred dynamic doesn't work so much with experienced players who can basically take down any threat, and so have no reason to run away or actually investigate.

Krav201
2017-12-05, 11:48 AM
Mine is for a campaign where the party are guards in a fortress at the edge of civilization. The wall that keeps the monsters back sort of thing. Could be cool stuff involving conspiracy with other guards and we could have fun with the monsters that come in but my friends would never go for a campaign where they have to stay in basically the same place the whole time

Nifft
2017-12-05, 11:53 AM
Sky-Barbarians of Jovia - Primitives live in a band of oxygen-rich atmosphere on an alien gas giant. Plants float on a much denser toxic layer below. There's a bit of a water-cycle, but also rain falls when ice from the ring around the gas giant gets pulled in. Strange creatures fly down from the rarefied layers above, and horrible things with tentacles grasp from the toxic depths below.

The backstory is that the human population planned to survive on Jovia only until the terraforming robots finished their work on the four Jovian moons. That time has come, and now ancient machinery is awakening, but the human population fell to barbarism in the mean time. The terraforming robots, acting without guidance, have created ... strange things.

The game would be about escaping from the gas giant and moving the surviving human population to the jovian satellites, each of which is an insane and incomplete vision of a habitable planet. Each one is technically habitable, per their spec, but certainly not what their programmers had intended.

flappeercraft
2017-12-05, 02:30 PM
I just remembered an idea a group I was in had. A commoner campaign which is in the same continuity as another campaign where the goal of the players is to wreak havoc in the campaign setting, on the meanwhile the commoner PCs have to survive that.

Afgncaap5
2017-12-05, 02:32 PM
I don't think I'll ever be able to play in an Eberron or Greyhawk game. I really want to play in a game in either of these settings rather than just running one myself. Not gonna happen, though.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-12-05, 03:09 PM
I'm quite partial to Elder Evils, but with a little more political wrangling on the side to make it difficult (think WoT game of houses circa book 6). However, it's not easy to find a group stable across a long campaign, and it's equally difficult to find a serious group (as in, not a popcorn-and-joke-about-the-aboleth's-funny-voice-to-its-face-and-expect-to-get-away-with-it group).

Inevitability
2017-12-05, 03:15 PM
Mine is for a campaign where the party are guards in a fortress at the edge of civilization. The wall that keeps the monsters back sort of thing. Could be cool stuff involving conspiracy with other guards and we could have fun with the monsters that come in but my friends would never go for a campaign where they have to stay in basically the same place the whole time

Ever played Keep on the Borderlands?

Sky-Barbarians of Jovia - Primitives live in a band of oxygen-rich atmosphere on an alien gas giant. Plants float on a much denser toxic layer below. There's a bit of a water-cycle, but also rain falls when ice from the ring around the gas giant gets pulled in. Strange creatures fly down from the rarefied layers above, and horrible things with tentacles grasp from the toxic depths below.

The backstory is that the human population planned to survive on Jovia only until the terraforming robots finished their work on the four Jovian moons. That time has come, and now ancient machinery is awakening, but the human population fell to barbarism in the mean time. The terraforming robots, acting without guidance, have created ... strange things.

The game would be about escaping from the gas giant and moving the surviving human population to the jovian satellites, each of which is an insane and incomplete vision of a habitable planet. Each one is technically habitable, per their spec, but certainly not what their programmers had intended.

I love this! How would the 'primitives' be staying aloft though? Floating plants? Strange vehicles?

TalonOfAnathrax
2017-12-05, 03:22 PM
I always wanted to run a campaign where all the PCs suddenly woke up in a crypt. They were vampire spawn or something, but their creator just died and they suddenly regained their senses.

Of course, the thing that killed their creator was the Inquisition, and it's still in town hunting for the remaining vampires. The townsfolk are with them, the town is on lockdown, and they have clerics who're using their magic to hunt down the PCs and their ilk.

CockroachTeaParty
2017-12-05, 03:39 PM

Very cool.

If I were to run this, I might re-flavor divine magic. Gods don't exist, but the primitives don't know that; instead, the 'gods' are actually the terraforming AIs, each having gone a bit loopy over time. Divine magic is actually channeling hyper-advanced technology, perhaps nano machines in the caster's blood or strewn throughout the air. That might apply to regular magic too.

Nifft
2017-12-05, 03:57 PM
I love this! How would the 'primitives' be staying aloft though? Floating plants? Strange vehicles?

Floating plants, yeah. Really big ones.

They've got roots that trail down into the soupy, sulfur-rich depths.

Above, leaves and branches arch skyward, trying to direct rainfall into the plant's interior reservoir.

In terms of vehicles, I'd pictured two sorts:
- Human recon drones ("lost tech") which would be strange but friendly; and
- Abandoned alien mining drones, which would not be friendly at all.

The unobtanium is mostly gone, which might be why the alien miners left. But it's not all gone, and maybe that's why some giant skeletons float up out of the deeps. Maybe that's also why these plants can support the weight of a (modest) human civilization.

Very cool.

If I were to run this, I might re-flavor divine magic. Gods don't exist, but the primitives don't know that; instead, the 'gods' are actually the terraforming AIs, each having gone a bit loopy over time. Divine magic is actually channeling hyper-advanced technology, perhaps nano machines in the caster's blood or strewn throughout the air. That might apply to regular magic too.

That's an interesting take on magic.

I was picturing this game as mostly-mundane with occasional misunderstood technology, but a mixed-magic game it could be great, too.

Magic certainly makes human flight more plausible. :smallsmile:

ayvango
2017-12-06, 12:47 AM
I'd like to play Trapped in Another World campaign.

The world is kitbashed from all settings focusing on magic and neglecting technology. Took dragons from krynn and ban gnome firearms for example. Add underdark and faerzress from faerun and so on.

Each player should independently prepare his character story of how he got to the Magic World. He could time travelled, or stuck in a game or fall into a lake and wake in another world. Anything goes. And since it is another world noone is wondered why people eyesight get better with old age and other d&d oddities. It is a magic.

World economy should be more of medieval. Not only in sense of technology but also in mental organisation. Rationality and efficiency are children of modern age. Investment, calculating risks and profits were impossible at that age. So the society is in sleeping until heroes would shake it. It like discrimination between PC and NPC. Players are rare species of PC aka heroes. Because they all come from another rational world and magic world is like story tale or comic for them. So they are not bounded by traditions and are eager to experiment and adventure. Well, if happens pretty often in other campaigns, but I'd like to set solid background for it.

Take all silly modules and make it even more stupid. Bring cliche villains and amplify them. And allow heroes to wrack as much chaos in dull life as they want. But all my comrades are not very fond of smashing the fourth wall. So the idea remains unembodied

martixy
2017-12-06, 02:13 PM
I have an academic interest in a low-level gritty frontier survival campaign.

The other one I haven't yet done, but have aspirations to reach in my current campaign is epic-level play.

atemu1234
2017-12-06, 02:40 PM
Another for the list:

- Evil underdark campaign with a mostly drow party. I had a plotline lined out, we started doing it, then the whole myth-weavers crash happened and my players lost their character sheets. We could have started from scratch with new players, but in the end we just decided to start a new campaign.
- A Worm that Walks/Oriental Adventures mix that I came up with, replacing the substandard martials with ToB classes. It was a good story, too, but I only ever got two players for it and one flaked out on me.

ngilop
2017-12-06, 03:27 PM
I have always wanted to play a One last hurrah/Once more into the breach campaign.

Where the characters are high level/high points and the mission is 'poo is about to hit the fan, and we are the only thing that has the possibility of stopping it'

The player's already know that whether they succeeded in stopping the 'end of all' their character's lives are forfeit. Because a) they failed or b) they need to sacrifice themselves to give power to the X that keeps the bad they just defeated from ever coming back. or c) are locked into an eternal battle (ala Ra vs Apep) they have to fight and win to keep X at bay.

Elkad
2017-12-06, 04:11 PM
Sky-Barbarians of Jovia - Primitives live in a band of oxygen-rich atmosphere on an alien gas giant. Plants float on a much denser toxic layer below. There's a bit of a water-cycle, but also rain falls when ice from the ring around the gas giant gets pulled in. Strange creatures fly down from the rarefied layers above, and horrible things with tentacles grasp from the toxic depths below....

Floating plants, yeah. Really big ones.

I've thought about a game here too. I'm assuming you got it from Integral Trees by Niven, that's where I did.
For those that haven't read it, it's sci-fi, but the "world" is right. Even has a functional ecology without needing magic support.
People live on double-ended "trees" with 2 tops and no roots, which are many miles long, floating/orbiting the gas giant in the breathable atmosphere zone.

unseenmage
2017-12-06, 04:52 PM
One is more a setting than a game. In the farthest future the planes themselves are dying of old age. Mechnus' gears have all but stopped. The infinite planes are finite, though still immeasurably large. No new life is being born. Spells and magics which last forever are ending. All the Elder Evils have come snd gone. Anything with a divine spark or equivalent has perished. Constructs and Undead have the equivalent of lifespans where their forms and magics are fading and failing.

Normal PC races can still be found as Temporal Stasis spells and Quintessence are evaporating.

The universe has a hard end coming. It can practically be seen with the naked eye, let alone with divinations. But rumor has it that end could be postponed, though not indefinitely.

The other idea is a campaign where airships, Eberron, and Faerun collide. Basically just reskin the tv series Fringe and play the episodes.

Captain Kablam
2017-12-06, 06:01 PM
Well not never get to play, but I have more than a few that I dearly want to try.

Adventures in Death (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?288795-Adventures-in-Death)
The basic idea behind this adventure is that our heroes are dead ad exist in basically a lived in afterlife. Mixing in a lot of elements from stuff like Grim Fandango and Silent Hill. Plot I was going with was that people were vanishing, and not "moving on", so the players try to find out why and grapple wih the details of what happened to them in life. Had lore built up, rules for hauntings and such. Lots of fun.

The Money Pit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?475308-The-Money-Pit-An-adventure-where-gold-doesn-t-matter)
Basically a dragon was able to wish for a massive, pocket dimension hoard and sends his minions out stealing other, massive treasures. Monuments, treasure, even had a plan for a TV dungeon where the players are going through channels just to wreck the dragons big screen, along with other quirky wonders that would cause the dimension to collapse and free them.

Lycanthrope Horror (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?337312-Lycanthrope-Horror&p=17196941#post17196941)
A who dunnit mystery where the players have to figure out who a particularly nasty werewolf is as the bodies keep stacking up.

Town Adventures (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?299555-Town-Adventures&p=15883580#post15883580)
The players are part of the town guard, or stay pretty near a city in the midst of a war, which eventually falls to the enemy, police state put in place. Think French resistance under Germany and you'll get the vibe I was going for.

Figments
The idea here is that the players were figments of a kids dreamworld and that kid is in a coma, wasting away, their ultimate goal being to wade through his fears, dreams, and memories to eventually wake him up. Very surreal kind of adventure.

Nifft
2017-12-06, 06:13 PM
I've thought about a game here too. I'm assuming you got it from Integral Trees by Niven, that's where I did. That's a story about a Smoke Ring (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Integral_Trees), which is an torus-shaped atmosphere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_torus) around a planet or star -- not on any planet, and not in the atmosphere of any planet.

IIRC there was a neutron star anchoring Niven's smoke ring in that book.

For those that haven't read it, it's sci-fi, but the "world" is right. Even has a functional ecology without needing magic support.
People live on double-ended "trees" with 2 tops and no roots, which are many miles long, floating/orbiting the gas giant in the breathable atmosphere zone.

If you did a smoke ring around a gas giant, it would be in a zone like Saturn's rings. I'm not sure how much gravity you'd need to support a sufficiently dense atmosphere at that distance.

I suspect the need for very high gravity is what drove Niven to put his novel's ring around a neutron star.

At any rate, the Integral Trees are also cool, but they're not related to my campaign idea.

martixy
2017-12-06, 06:25 PM
Well not never get to play, but I have more than a few that I dearly want to try.

Adventures in Death (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?288795-Adventures-in-Death)
The basic idea behind this adventure is that our heroes are dead ad exist in basically a lived in afterlife. Mixing in a lot of elements from stuff like Grim Fandango and Silent Hill.

Money Pit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?475308-The-Money-Pit-An-adventure-where-gold-doesn-t-matter)
Basically a dragon was able to wish for a massive, pocket dimension hoard and sends his minions out stealing other, massive treasures. Monuments, treasure, even had a plan for a TV dungeon where the players are going through channels just to wreck the dragons big screen, along with other quirky wonders that would cause the dimension to collapse and free them.

Lycanthrope Horror (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?337312-Lycanthrope-Horror&p=17196941#post17196941)
A who dunnit mystery where the players have to figure out who a particularly nasty werewolf is as the bodies keep stacking up.

Town Adventures (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?299555-Town-Adventures&p=15883580#post15883580)
The players are part of the town guard, or stay pretty near a city in the midst of a war, which eventually falls to the enemy, police state put in place. Think French resistance under Germany and you'll get the vibe I was going for.

Figments
The idea here is that the players were figments of a kids dreamworld and that kid is in a coma, wasting away, their ultimate goal being to wade through his fears, dreams, and memories to eventually wake him up. Very surreal kind of adventure.

Lycantropes: I think there's a web module that does it. It's called "Bad Moon Waning". It's kind of a whodunnit(not sure how much of a mystery it'd be), which at least upon first reading seems to be one of the better free web adventures put out there.

The figments thing is neat. It doesn't personally appeal to me, but I appreciate the idea.

Money Pit was also good, but I've already given my opinion on that(in that thread). It inspired me to create a very high-level adventure with an awesome concept that I do hope to play one day.

BlackOnyx
2017-12-06, 07:04 PM
I have an academic interest in a low-level gritty frontier survival campaign.

I'm a big fan of this one as well (has the potential for a lot of fun from both a player and a DM perspective).

The players could be displaced citizens of a recently conquered country, sent to the outskirts of the empire to establish small settlements for further expansion. They'd have to pay regular tribute (grain or minerals) and any attempts to escape/rebel would be met with military intervention.

I'm thinking NPC classes, no (or very limited) casters, and slow xp progression. Negotiation, teamwork, & creative strategy would play a bigger role than individual class builds.

Gods, monsters, and adventurers certainly still exist, the players just aren't among them.

Captain Kablam
2017-12-06, 07:28 PM
Money Pit was also good, but I've already given my opinion on that(in that thread). It inspired me to create a very high-level adventure with an awesome concept that I do hope to play one day.

Aw now I'm blushing, still trying to find a good chance to use one of the NPCs from that. Princess Glitterhope: Malevolent, chain smoking, 12-year old, evil ruler or a candy and rainbow coated kingdom with propaganda, public executions, and secret police, and she rides into battle atop a DOOMicorn (it leaves behind a rainbow of every shade of black). But that's more fodder for a "NPCS You'll never get to use"

Another one I had in mind was
Fairy Tale Adventure
I'm crap with names, but the whole campaign is based around a more light hearted, Grimm Fable sort of romp.

Basically this witch with strong elemental powers wants this sword this king has, it's magic would boost her already phenomenal powers. Thing is it's cursed and electrocutes anyone to whom the sword has not been rightfully granted. And the king isn't keen on just handing it over given that yeah this witch is kind of a jerk.

So what to do? Well this King has a son and wouldn't you know it, this witch just so happens to have a daughter. Bull**** is done so the two will become wed and now the king is trying to weasel out of the deal. Sensing this weaseling, the witch has he daughter kidnap the prince (they say it's because he's engaged and simply getting to know them, it's a lie)

It's about this point the players are brought in. They have to journey to the Sky Castle, save the kid, and probably get straight up murdery. If not, The witch gets her sword which gives her a doomsday device, her magic brainswashes the boy which gives her daughter a kingdom to tyrant over.

But there's more to it than that. One fun thing is that the with the daughter, I was going to give this whole skyknight vibe, and is rather disinterested in this whole scheme, seeing as she would much rather be out squaring off against some powerful hero or monster. The good/evil of the act doesn't concern her so much as the challenge of it. By the time the players roll around she's been pretty much pillaging the kingdom she's supposed to rule and is pretty bored of the whole affair. The more formidable the players make themselves, the more she'll welcome the challenge. AND on top of that, the witch has been taking time to experiment on the prince, turning him into a brute/puppet.

Also this particular kingdom was founded a long time ago by a legendary druid hero (the macguffin sword is his), and the king knows the location where some of the druid's more powerful weapons and equipment was grown, as well as a means to get to the castle (Beanstalk set up). But when they get there all they find is a dire boar. A goddamn pig. All the mystical plants had been eaten. As they come to the place a cherry from a tree falls and explodes, and the pig floats up to the tree and starts eating the two or three bushels left. He can fly, and he's pretty easy to befriend and tame. If the players named him "Pigasus" I'd just let them win at everything for the rest of the night.

I also got giddy thinking up a "random" encounter where a little old lady is being chased and shot at by a fierce orc warrior with an odd amount of silver weapons. Should the players get involved (which they are wont to do), and kill the orc, the old lady then transforms into a fierce, large, some would even say big and bad, wolf creature complete with a hurricane like breath weapon.

BlackOnyx
2017-12-06, 07:38 PM
- Urban Campaign

I've always liked the idea of a campaign taking place in a medieval metropolis (populations upwards of 100k).

The city could be divided up into separate rings (slums, lower districts, upper districts, nobility, etc.) where the PCs slowly work their way up in access and influence. Sewers, catacombs, and the like could offer a place to develop a network for black market trade & trafficking.

Mafia, thugs, corrupt nobles, different factions vying for power...I imagine it would be a lot of fun. Players would have to be smart about their dealings, as simply running away from their problems would prove a lot more difficult. (The class & gameplay variants from Cityscape would no doubt play a big part in it all.)

- Plane of Summons (a la Monster's Inc)

An interesting one that myself a few of my fellow players came up with a few sessions back. The PCs discover (or are employees in) the Plane of Summons, the plane where all summoned creatures reside when not being called upon.

Summons would just clock in for "on-call" shifts like it was any other job. Their "pay" is just a result of a long standing deal in which they provide their services to the gods and private contractors (arcane casters) in exchange for magical energy.

Needless to say, summons would travel through huge networks of doors on conveyor belts, trying to fill their daily quota of magical energy before clocking out.

Might make a better one-shot (or arc) than a campaign, but I could see it being funny nonetheless.

- (Not) Aperture Science

Portal, but the D&D version. The players stumble upon (or are revived in) the depths of a massive magical laboratory created by a long dead wizard who specialized in construct crafting. His final creation (quite possibly the reason for his death) is a hyper-intelligent construct (basically a quasi-deity) that now runs the facility.

Mike Miller
2017-12-06, 08:54 PM
I always wanted to run a Grim-n-Gritty system campaign which is basically just a super deadly campaign for 3.5 with some changes. "More realistic" combat (in quotes for good reason) so that PCs don't just dive into combat all the time but think about what is happening first. Also, monsters live up to their name. The system is low magic (which I don't like. I am very much a high fantasy man), but the low magic makes sense within the system.

The problem is that characters can die really easily regardless of level, so it is tough to do a campaign unless combat is rare. Which could work

Luccan
2017-12-07, 01:57 AM
I always wanted to run a Grim-n-Gritty system campaign which is basically just a super deadly campaign for 3.5 with some changes. "More realistic" combat (in quotes for good reason) so that PCs don't just dive into combat all the time but think about what is happening first. Also, monsters live up to their name. The system is low magic (which I don't like. I am very much a high fantasy man), but the low magic makes sense within the system.

The problem is that characters can die really easily regardless of level, so it is tough to do a campaign unless combat is rare. Which could work

Hmm... You could probably work that with d20 Modern/Past (throw in some Urban Arcana, that has some relevant races and occupations). Use the Occultist and Spiritualist to be your "casters", but since they rely on scrolls and items, they have to make deals with fey/demons/abominations-that-rend-man's-sanity. It's also a lot easier to bring people down in d20.

tadkins
2017-12-07, 02:04 AM
Had a weird idea for one. Not sure how well it would work, as it's kind of unorthodox, but I'd love to try.

It basically revolves around the political power struggle of four major Drow houses. It would require 20 people, four groups of five. The central setting would take place in the Underdark, in a large drow metropolis. Each group would be made of individuals holding high positions in their respective houses, competing against each other. It would be a pretty open campaign, with each group taking whatever approach they see fit to come out on top.

Not sure how feasible such an endeavor would be, since it would require the DM to be on top of basically four games at once, but it'd be interesting to see.

Inevitability
2017-12-07, 04:39 AM
A proper megadungeon. None of that 'seven levels of room after room of inexplicably stationary monsters', I want a giant underground ecosystem. I want an enormous structure that's still being explored, with small pockets of civilization everywhere. I want something with the thematics and logistics of a dungeon, but the freedom of an open world.

Mechnus' gears have all but stopped.

Noooooooooooo.

Feantar
2017-12-07, 05:07 AM
A proper megadungeon. None of that 'seven levels of room after room of inexplicably stationary monsters', I want a giant underground ecosystem. I want an enormous structure that's still being explored, with small pockets of civilization everywhere. I want something with the thematics and logistics of a dungeon, but the freedom of an open world.

Something between Undermountain and Arx Fatalis?

Inevitability
2017-12-07, 05:14 AM
Something between Undermountain and Arx Fatalis?

Never heard of Arx Fatalis, but I suppose so.

martixy
2017-12-07, 05:36 AM
Aw now I'm blushing, still trying to find a good chance to use one of the NPCs from that. Princess Glitterhope: Malevolent, chain smoking, 12-year old, evil ruler or a candy and rainbow coated kingdom with propaganda, public executions, and secret police, and she rides into battle atop a DOOMicorn (it leaves behind a rainbow of every shade of black). But that's more fodder for a "NPCS You'll never get to use"

To be fair, my version has little to do with yours, apart from the prompt: What if gold didn't matter? And all the ensuing implications I could think of. Certainly of a less humorous bent. Actually, it ended up as a cross-over between Star Wars and D&D, which is amazing in itself.

Which reminds me that I'd potentially love to play a campaign in the StarCraft universe, the cut-throat BroodWar version anyway, not the sappy SC2, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Captain Kablam
2017-12-07, 10:25 AM
Had a weird idea for one. Not sure how well it would work, as it's kind of unorthodox, but I'd love to try.

It basically revolves around the political power struggle of four major Drow houses. It would require 20 people, four groups of five. The central setting would take place in the Underdark, in a large drow metropolis. Each group would be made of individuals holding high positions in their respective houses, competing against each other. It would be a pretty open campaign, with each group taking whatever approach they see fit to come out on top.

Not sure how feasible such an endeavor would be, since it would require the DM to be on top of basically four games at once, but it'd be interesting to see.

Tried doing a similar thing, all the players are spies working for competing nations, and yeah, the organization was murder. I'd say look at a game shop and get a couple of people on board to play as solid gms, that way it's not all on your shoulders. Plus it can help with the rp of multiple NPCs talking to each other which always feels so rubbery to me, y'know?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-12-07, 11:43 AM
Sort of Retaking of Moria, but bigger? I'd play that.