PDA

View Full Version : Players that have caused TPK's

Arc_knight25
2017-12-05, 08:37 AM
I want your stories of deceit, betrayal, forgetfulness and just plain greed that resulted in a TPK.

I'll start mine off.

We come across a quite mad medusa. We did not know it was a medusa at first, but we found out it was, once it shed its headdress. She was talking as if she was royalty and we her subjects. We were low balling her on items to exchange for the black lotus that we needed. Which upset her.

We exchanged gems for the black lotus. We had given the gems in a ornate box. The covered medusa tossed the box on the ground and admired the gems. Now as we leave with what we came for mind you. Two of our players return to the room and ask for the box back. We had already upset her earlier, she thought she was royalty and asking for a part of "gift" back was in poor taste and bad etiquette.

She sheds her headdress and combat begins. Followed up with a TPK. 3 players turned to stone, 1 ran, and 2 dropped from damage (Stabilized).

Some DM magic came into play, so it wasn't a true TPK, but without it it most definitely was. Our DM let our rogue get back up with 1 hp from a token she had gotten from a fey creature. She gets her assassinate sneak attack off as the medusa went back to her mad ramblings, and didn't notice her getting up. Needless to say the Medusa didn't survive the auto crit. The token had enough charges to remove the petrification of all 3 stoned players.

CeriPendragon
2017-12-05, 10:03 AM
I have two, both from Curse of Strahd.

Some spoilers below.

The first was myself, Ranger, and two friends: a rogue and cleric. We escape the Death House well and everything’s going great. We chat with some NPCs, rest up, and restock before heading out to the church because we heard rumors of a vampire there. The priest says he has his son locked up in the crypt. My character had the Haunted One background and was pretty paranoid about vampires in general so we go down there to kill it. In the course of the fight both party members are bitten. My character decides that they’re now infected and lost causes. He leaves the crypt, bolts the hatch, sprinkles oil over it and sets the church ablaze.

After this little incident we all reroll and add some new players. As we go through it becomes obvious to my character, a Valor Bard I think, that we don’t have what it takes to defeat Strahd. So she begins to plan to preserve her own life. We get all the way to the castle and to Strahd...where I promptly turn everyone over to him in exchange for my own life.

Strahd agrees, and together we kill the others. Strahd gets his bride, and is happy. I am bitten and allowed to turn following the fight forced to forever serve Strahd.

Dualswinger
2017-12-05, 10:16 AM
Jaysus if I pulled 2 party double crosses like that in a row my group would crucify me.

In one game I played the party infiltrated an evil cult SPECIFICALLY to do recon only, since we were very aware that the cult leader was a powerful wizard.

Sadly once the party tiefling was told she’d had to go through the initiation because of her mixed heritage she took that as a personal insult and attacked the cult leader.

His cone of cold killed all but two of us, and only by virtue of being a bear totem barb did I get out of there alive.

CeriPendragon
2017-12-05, 10:26 AM
Jaysus if I pulled 2 party double crosses like that in a row my group would crucify me.

Haha yeah most probably would. I play with a group of teenagers as part of a volunteer thing so while they weren’t happy it wasn’t much worse than what any of them have done in other games.

NecroDancer
2017-12-05, 10:28 AM
We almost got a TPK when facing an undead tree. It could grapple multiple people and unleash a scream that could deal around 40-50 psychic damage. Sadly our paladin wanted to keep attacking the tree to kill it when everybody else was just trying to run away from it. The only reason the paladin wasn't left for dead was that you could only escape the tree's grapple by doing 15 damage to the branch grappling you, this meant a lot of us were stuck and needed help escaping even though the paladin was more interested in killing the tree (mainly because he had the ability to smite and resist the tree's attacks).

Luckily we barely escaped (the cleric's panic fireball killed the tree) but our rogue died and had to be reincarnated. If it wasn't thanks to our barbarian hacking away at the branches we would have never escaped. But we were one round away from a TPK.

It was a fun encounter though, the only reason I'm not salty from that horribly overpowered tree was the fact we could have technically run away from it.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-05, 10:30 AM
In 3.5 our DM had a rule, if you roll a 1, roll again to see how bad the critical failure was.

My barbarian with a great maul went to club an ice giant, I used power critical, power attack and a magic ring I had that let me roll max damage 1/day but I had to call it before I rolled.

I rolled a 1, then to see how bad it was I rolled another 1.

We were in a huge ice cavern fighting about 12 frost giants, I pulled a Bugs Bunny and hit the wall hard enough to shake the entire place, caused a cave that buried the whole group.

The ice giants were just slightly inconvenienced, they proceeded to beat us all to death before we could dig our way out.

Arc_knight25
2017-12-05, 12:09 PM
Great stories guys.

I have another one involving the same player, only this time its in 3.5.

So we are going through a tome of some sort, there are symbols on the ground and pots and such littering the pathway.

As the group is talking and discussing what to do and how to approach this obstacle. Same player that had gone back for the discarded chest from my last story. Takes out her bow and fires a shot into one of the pots.

We are all clumped around in the narrow hallway talking and discussing. As the pot break a wail of the banshee goes off. out of our party of about 7 only 3 remain standing once the spell has hit everyone. Needless to say, when this player gets bored at the table you never know what your going to get.

The_Jette
2017-12-05, 12:17 PM
If we're talking any edition, I ran a 3.5 D&D game set in a horror themed homebrew. I explained to the players that it was a living world, and not always tailored to their party level. So, they really needed to consider their chances of surviving specific encounters. Anyways, the party was traveling down a road, and I rolled a random encounter. It ended up with three spellcasters, and a bunch of undead minions. Now, if the party had counted the number of undead, they'd have realized that this group of spellcasters (read:necromancers) were a bit beyond their level. But, they decided to set up an ambush anyways. The spellcaster of the group was hit with a feeblemind spell and was taken out of the fight. The rest of the party were outright killed by a combination of zombies, skeletons, and spells. There were technically two survivors, though. The party mage survived. And, the team rogue who wasn't there that day survived. The rest made new characters and continued the adventure. They later came across their own, dead characters as raised zombies, and got to destroy themselves. Thankfully, there were no hurt feelings that day.

white lancer
2017-12-05, 12:53 PM
Our longest-lived campaign is a 3.5 one in which we agreed to randomize our characters--it was initially intended to be our "backup" campaign for when not enough of us (or not the right mix of us) were available to play one of our more serious ones. It wound up being the only one to survive once we no longer lived together. So our characters are really suboptimal, including my own--a half-orc sorcerer that was lucky to have the Cha to cast spells. That half-orc sorcerer has both managed to prevent a near-TPK and to nearly cause one.

We started out in fairly normal fashion until one of our members (a gnome fighter) decided he wanted to be a pirate. Given that this was our less structured game, we just decided to roll with it and headed straight for the sea. Along the way (among other things), we got captured by a tribe of halflings, and all of us but our halfling player managed to escape. We hooked up with an elven exploration crew who were looking for something in the area, and eventually that led to us negotiating with the halflings in exchange for passage away from the jungle (additionally, our gnome not-so-secretly wanted to steal their ship for piracy purposes). Meanwhile, the party halfling had actually joined the tribal halflings and became their ambassador.

So most of our group accompanied the elven leaders to the shore, where our ranger (the only one who spoke Halfling) agreed to translate. As the resident unhinged character, I was left behind...but I followed flying invisibly anyway. The negotiations probably would have gone well enough...except for our dear ranger friend, who proceeded to insult and threaten the halflings without our knowledge. This led to a fight in which most of the elves were killed, and my character saved our party members and the elven captain (who I really should have left to die--he was the worst) by casting Fly on them. So we escaped that one without a PC casualty, though we probably would have lost one or two had I not tagged along.

That night, as we and the crew were asleep on the elven ship (anchored out in the bay), the halfling PC led a raiding party with rowboats to attack. Two party members, the ranger and gnome, were awake, because the gnome had attempted and failed to smother the ranger in his sleep (after deducing that he had sabotaged the negotiations), and another battle ensued. All but two of the remaining elves were killed, and the mast was damaged enough that the DM rolled randomly to see where it landed...and it rather poetically landed on the would-be pirate gnome, killing him instantly. The ship went down, and my character used Feather Fall to help us have a smooth landing. Meanwhile, our lizardfolk monk had grabbed the treacherous halfling (who we later learned was pregnant) and taken her overboard; he then proceeded to drown her over the next few rounds. Our games don't tend to be especially deadly, so losing two PCs in one session (and throwing the campaign completely off, to the point where we basically spent the next dozen sessions or more wandering in the jungle) was unprecedented.

The second near-TPK was a lot simpler. After a few in-game months of wandering in the jungle, my half-orc was nearly constantly diseased and had lost his memory thanks to an encounter with some pixies, and his lack of survival skills had become a running gag. This time he had stumbled across some mushrooms and eaten them without question, and predictably he got dazed and disorient. In the previous session, we had assaulted a camp of orcs, only to retreat when their master (a red dragon) showed up. So naturally, when a group of orcs asked to parlay with us, it should be suspicious...but my none-too-smart and mushroom-drugged half-orc doesn't see it that way and leads us into an obvious trap. In the ensuing fight, one party member (played by the player of the gnome fighter) was burned to a crisp, another (played by the halfling's player) was captured and agreed to work for the dragon, thus ending his time as a PC...and my character, the one who got us into the mess, managed to escape into the forest and hide in a Rope Trick. As only the three of us made it for that session, this was one away from being a TPK.

HolyDraconus
2017-12-05, 02:41 PM
5e. Had a party of a ranged monk, paladin, cleric and a brand new wizard. Got to an enchanted lake with a guardian. Monk pisses of the guardian by attacking it, then running behind an iron door. Cleric and paladin took defensive stances, to try to appease the thing. Monk then, seeing it's allies not following suit, begins to snipe at the thing. Cleric got dragged under water. While it's making death saves, the monk STOPS sniping. At this point it's apparent that the only thing that can hit the guardian is range. Monk tells wizard to continue to do nothing. Paladin tries to save cleric. Monk waits for pally to go under water, then leaves. Cleric and paladin both dead, wizard listens to monk who both walk out the dungeon.

OoC, monk player said he doesn't feel the need to apologize cause that's what his character would do, and he would feel that hitting less than full hp isn't worth the risk. Haven't played with that char since

The_Jette
2017-12-05, 02:57 PM
5e. Had a party of a ranged monk, paladin, cleric and a brand new wizard. Got to an enchanted lake with a guardian. Monk pisses of the guardian by attacking it, then running behind an iron door. Cleric and paladin took defensive stances, to try to appease the thing. Monk then, seeing it's allies not following suit, begins to snipe at the thing. Cleric got dragged under water. While it's making death saves, the monk STOPS sniping. At this point it's apparent that the only thing that can hit the guardian is range. Monk tells wizard to continue to do nothing. Paladin tries to save cleric. Monk waits for pally to go under water, then leaves. Cleric and paladin both dead, wizard listens to monk who both walk out the dungeon.

OoC, monk player said he doesn't feel the need to apologize cause that's what his character would do, and he would feel that hitting less than full hp isn't worth the risk. Haven't played with that char since

Wait... so the guy felt that his character would send two of his party members off to die, while saving himself and the wizard? What alignment was the guy? Chaotic ***hole?

HolyDraconus
2017-12-05, 03:26 PM
Wait... so the guy felt that his character would send two of his party members off to die, while saving himself and the wizard? What alignment was the guy? Chaotic ***hole?

He didn't save the wizard. Wizard never stepped from behind an iron door. The monk picked a fight, antagonize the monster when players were trying diplomacy, allowed the cleric to be dragged under (cleric was trying to protect him even then, was right next to the monk, and DM asked the monk would he take a reaction to help. Monk declined), at which point the new level 1 wizard wanted to help and the monk told him to stay put, so he did, the paladin then mentions to the monk and wizard that range attacks is the only thing that can hurt it, so distract it while I go save the cleric. The moment the paladin dove into the water, the monk STOPS attacking then leaves. Wizard not knowing what to do asked the monk what's going on, who replies it's not worth it and was leaving.

Arc_knight25
2017-12-05, 03:32 PM
How do people feel after such an event happens?

For our 3.5 wipe I was laughing(Had survived wail of the banshee), others at the table (the ones dead) not so much.

For our 5e game, I was just buzzing. All night the player was just being absent minded and going off alone. This just topped it off for me. To be fair though she is playing a Tabaxi rogue with the archaeologist background, so the scatter brain and going off alone did fit in well with the ancient ruin we were exploring. It's just when your guide's (Myself and her significant other) say stay close and they don't, bad things tend to happen.

arclance
2017-12-05, 03:35 PM
Other than the classic "Not a team player, would kill you for beer money" adversarial playstyle I mostly see TPKs caused by players who have no sense of in game self preservation or danger.
This kind of player would kick in the door to a "Unstable Explosives" factory after being warned 3 times by the DM and at least once by the players that this is Pants on Head stupid and then still do it while totally believing nothing bad will happen.
And then they will do it again next week.

If you stay far enough away from their character they tend to be excellent at detecting traps and ambushes but are otherwise a liability.

mer.c
2017-12-05, 04:20 PM
Not an actual TPK, but really damn close twice in a row.

Princes of the Apocalypse spoilers below.

My players got completely fleeced by the Air Cult. Feathergale sent the party to kill Marlos, after which they sprung an ambush while the party was sleeping. (The druid had a thing for Savra, so they waited until he was the one on watch so she could get close to him.) This led to 3/4 of the party being sold off to the Water Cult, since Gar suspects sacrificing them would be particularly useful in summoning Olhydra. The party's Air Genasi Wild Sorcerer, Calim, was brought to Aerisi in the hopes of conning him into collaborating. Because of plot-hook-related reasons, he would basically guarantee they succeed in summoning Yan-C-Bin.

That could have resulted in a TPK, but the party Rogue had befriended several reluctant Water Cultists and helped them escape. They helped spring the 3 that were at Rivergard, and then went to rescue Calim.

Calim (who has 6 Wisdom) managed to crit several critical Insight rolls, and figured out that Aerisi was bad news. Thinking the rest of the party was dead, the cultists had him locked up while they decided their next move. In the mean time, the former cultists led the party to the Air Temple to spring him out. They walked the two-mile sheer cliffside to the temple and rescued Calim, but set the whole temple on high alert whey they collapsed the central palace with an Erupting Earth spell. They were forced to retreat, with Ahtayir the djinni, who Calim had befriended, covering their escape.

Now this is where the players' lack of experience with PnP RPGs crops up. They long rested until nightfall, then though, "OK, the dungeon's reset. We'll just go back and try again." They cast a Light cantrip and walk the two miles across the sheer canyon. At midnight. With a bright, shining beacon on following them around. Naturally, they were ambushed by about a dozen cultists on their flying mounts as they made their approach. The party got absolutely wrecked.

Fortunately for the party, Calim's player's quick thinking kept it from turning into a TPK. Calim figured their only chance was for him to surrender himself and agree to cooperate. Given the cult's #1 priority was convincing or coercing him to help with summoning Yan-C-Bin, they accepted and took everyone prisoner (again).

Calim was brought down to the Howling Caves to participate in the ritual. As collateral, the cultists started slowly torturing the other party members to death, saying that with his full cooperation, they should return in time to at least stop the torture (with no guarantees of what would happen after). The players had a little agency in what they did, which basically came down to buying an extra minute of life here or there by taking permanent damage to their character's stats. I calculated it so that each one would have about a one-in-three chance of dying within the necessary timeframe.

Long story short, all three survived with permanent damage (the druid was one round from being cooked alive), and Ahtayir got them out because of a plot hook impeding the summoning ritual and because Calim had done so well in RPing with him before. But Ahtayir died after having his essence drained into Yan-C-Bin, Calim had all of his magic ripped away from him and was retired from the campaign, and the Air Cult did guarantee summoning Yan-C-Bin. Plus the lost time from the capture and recovery meant that Red Larch fell under Air Cult control, Wumford and Westbridge were wiped out by orbs of destruction, Feathergale undermined Triboar, and the cults have upgraded their equipment and bolstered their numbers.

So not a TPK, but two very near misses, with pretty severe consequences. I figured that letting their good play in the past give them a chance of survival, but seeing things crumble around them because of their failure, was a better alternative than rolling all new characters.

The_Jette
2017-12-05, 04:41 PM
He didn't save the wizard. Wizard never stepped from behind an iron door. The monk picked a fight, antagonize the monster when players were trying diplomacy, allowed the cleric to be dragged under (cleric was trying to protect him even then, was right next to the monk, and DM asked the monk would he take a reaction to help. Monk declined), at which point the new level 1 wizard wanted to help and the monk told him to stay put, so he did, the paladin then mentions to the monk and wizard that range attacks is the only thing that can hurt it, so distract it while I go save the cleric. The moment the paladin dove into the water, the monk STOPS attacking then leaves. Wizard not knowing what to do asked the monk what's going on, who replies it's not worth it and was leaving.

Honestly, if I were running the game, I would probably pull the player aside and tell him that he needs to start being a team player or find a different group. Intentionally creating character who will leave their allies to die rather than even so much as providing cover fire seems like the complete antithesis of what this game is about. It's the same thing as creating a neutral character and saying "Why should I care if that village/ orphanage/ whatever burns to the ground? What does helping them do for me?" My response is, "Fine. You stay behind and spend the rest of your life in obscurity while the rest of the group goes on to save the world. Roll a new character."

Galactkaktus
2017-12-05, 05:11 PM
Me a wizard was in a group with four other players a sorcerer, two rangers and a bard. All of us were level two we had gotten a treasure map. So on our way to the cave where the treasure was i detected some magic and managed to identify the spell as darkness and made it clear to the other players that my character is not strong enough to cast this spell. Our rangers found som tracks and managed to figure out that there was about 8 drows nearby. As we got closer to the cave it became apparant that they were also going to the same place. I immediatly said we can't fight 8 drows that apperantly are stronger than us since they have access to stronger spells. When we arrived at the cave the rangers found tracks leading into the cave but not out of it i said we can't fight them head on it's suicide and tried to get my party to just give up on the treasure or come up with another solution than fighting them. One of the rangers got tired of nothing happening and just went into the cave all the other characters followed suit shortly after i stayed in the back and was last to go into the cave. And luckily we detected the drows before we got ambushed we rolled for initiative my character went first and thought maybe the DM has made them abit weaker since they outnumber us. So i used magic missile for 10 damage the drow is still standing one of the rangers attacks with his bow for 11 damage the drow is still standing at that moment i realized we have to retreat or we are dead. And after their attacks i was certain of it none in my party had fallen but none of them had fallen either and we were heavily damged so when my turn came up i said we have to retreat this is suicide and used all my movement and a dash action to run. The problem was i was the only one to retreat the my party stayed and fought. At the end of the fight they managed to kill one of the drows and all of them were dead only my character survived.

HoodedHero007
2017-12-05, 08:09 PM
This is an almost-TPK, but not because DM shenanigans.
I was playing a Neutral Evil Aetherborn Soulknife, along with a Half-Orc Fighter who nobody could understand, a Dwarvish Ancients Paladin who was a "MLG" and constantly succeeded on DEX checks despite having a 10 in the stat, 2 Wild Mage Sorcerers, one a Teifling cook, 1 socially awkward Svirfneblin wizard, a trigger happy thief, another thief who used "Meth bombs" in combat, and an absent minded Wood Elf Assassin who used a "Logbow".

Yeah, we were that type of party.

Anyway, once we raided a desert fortress housing the Half-Orc's evil father (long story), and after a fight resulting in the villains fleeing, my character stumbled upon one of them chilling on the roof. Instead of calling the party, my Mystic started chatting with the villain, and when the party moved out, I convinced them that the one I chatted with was not still at the fortress. We then fought the other one, and my mystic later decided to go back to the fortress to officially join the villains because the character really didn't care about the party.

Later, when the party was raiding another area along with my new Yuan-ti Whispers Bard, I asked the DM if my character could fight alongside the boss, he said yes, and my character was summoned there. I promptly was able to nearly one-shot the party's fighter with a combination of Lethal Strike, Hone the Blade, and Green-Flame blade, and the fighter only survived due to one of the half-orc's racial abilities. Then, the assassin tried to shoot me and rolled an 18, but I had Inertial Armor, Cloak of Air, Focus on Iron durability, Bracers of Defense, and +5 DEX. The DM decided that I was way too OP, so he said that I had a "more reasonable" AC of 16, and no disadvantage imposing abilities. So I did the obvious thing and used Misty Form, and then the DM simply said that my Psion had a "Psi attack", whatever that is.

So I almost caused a TPK and didn't, though not for lack of trying.

SociopathFriend
2017-12-06, 12:48 AM
We were playing the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign and they tried to take the precious!

You see, I was a Paladin accompanied by a Bard, a Rogue, and a Sorcerer. During our adventure we came across a certain Trident- which literally fell into my arms from above (the Bard was flying around and carrying a priest while stabbing him, actually quite effective). As we had no idea what the thing did, the DM ruled I could figure it out if I spent some time attuning to it.

That's when it all went very wrong. You see, the trident forces you to want nice things, all the nice things; anything really. So when we next came across a certain small dagger- I had to have it. And because the rest of the party was occupied fighting for their lives- I got it. Same deal- except by this point I was RPing the trident as having a bit more influence over me than the game might've intended. So then I had two magical items corrupting my thought process. The dagger makes you basically never think anything through and act on impulses.

Did I mention I was gored by a Wereboar and cursed? Plus we came across my sister and she died in my arms? The curse was eventually lifted but not before the Paladin had severe issues from goring innocents when he couldn't control himself. My character's heart was in the right place but his mind was all over the joint.

The party, not exactly a bunch of idiots, very quickly realized the weapons were not very becoming of me- and they knew there were at least 2 more out there. So when the Sorcerer wild-magic'd a unicorn onto the scene- the Bard managed to convince the unicorn to hide the dangerous weapons where nobody would find them. The catch- the Bard's plan involved everyone trying to jump the Paladin, beat him down, and take the weapons by force.

The flaw in this plan was... they were a Bard, a Rogue, and a flying, invisible, sheep that was formerly a Sorcerer (he had the Wild Magic that did stuff for a few turns in a row) against a Sorcadin with two magical weapons that he unreasonably wanted above all else.
Long story short, Rogue was blinded and prone from the first round and rendered useless, Bard was killed after failing to deal enough damage or put any spell over on the Paladin, Rogue was killed as he kept trying to stab the Paladin, Sorcerer was a sheep, and the Earth Cult was drawn to the battle and killed the Paladin. The DM (nicely) ruled that the Sorcerer somehow found his way out as an invisible flying sheep as there wasn't much that would be able to find him or stop him from doing so.

We then had to start a new campaign. So technically it was a TPK, even though one member survived.
In my defense, it was very, very clear what would happen if they tried taking the things from the character- they gambled on taking him down quickly to capitalize on the miracle of the unicorn- and they then realized exactly how much nova damage a Sorcadin can put out when he puts his mind to it.

ImproperJustice
2017-12-06, 10:32 AM
We were running a game of extreme dungeon crawl (a modern reality show, where the PCs are pro athletes engaged in dungeon crawling).

Theh had just cleared the first floor and had just started the second when they come to a room.

A mysterious figure is seated at a table, shuffling cards (he’s an actor and really hamming up the mysterious stranger routine, he is also wearing a non-combatant badge to denote that he is not a threat).

Behind him are 7 doors. He instructs the players that if they feel lucky, they can sit at the table and draw a card, which will open one of the doors behind him. Some contain fabulous prizes, some danger, and some will hold both.

One of the PCs, who is a method role player, had chosen to play as a “black hat” or impulsive and rude type character. (Think of a villain type pro-wrestler.)

He grabs the actor, slams him on the table, and demands that he tells him which door is what (it is worth noting that roughing up non-coms tis frowned upon in the rules of the competition).
The actor screams like a girl and is safely teleported away by the producers.

As his cards hit the table, all of the doors opened.

It was a third level party vs. a series of encounters meant to be fought one at a time.
I think it included something like 16 hobgoblins, 4 dire wolves, 8 Dance Zombies, 12 Gnolls, and a Minor Death.
It got ugly real fast.

mer.c
2017-12-06, 11:34 AM
We were running a game of extreme dungeon crawl (a modern reality show, where the PCs are pro athletes engaged in dungeon crawling).

Theh had just cleared the first floor and had just started the second when they come to a room.

A mysterious figure is seated at a table, shuffling cards (he’s an actor and really hamming up the mysterious stranger routine, he is also wearing a non-combatant badge to denote that he is not a threat).

Behind him are 7 doors. He instructs the players that if they feel lucky, they can sit at the table and draw a card, which will open one of the doors behind him. Some contain fabulous prizes, some danger, and some will hold both.

One of the PCs, who is a method role player, had chosen to play as a “black hat” or impulsive and rude type character. (Think of a villain type pro-wrestler.)

He grabs the actor, slams him on the table, and demands that he tells him which door is what (it is worth noting that roughing up non-coms tis frowned upon in the rules of the competition).
The actor screams like a girl and is safely teleported away by the producers.

As his cards hit the table, all of the doors opened.

It was a third level party vs. a series of encounters meant to be fought one at a time.
I think it included something like 16 hobgoblins, 4 dire wolves, 8 Dance Zombies, 12 Gnolls, and a Minor Death.
It got ugly real fast.

Your players sound like a blast!

mephnick
2017-12-06, 11:46 AM
Played a Paladin who hated slavers.

Encountered a lot of slavers.

Refused to back down and told the party to leave me if needed, I'd free as many as I could.

The party stayed with me and died. A couple of them tried to bail when the realized they were actually going to lose, but it was too late.

I knew we were going to lose immediately, because the DM is a friend and runs the games the way I do. Oh well, I tried to tell them!

ImproperJustice
2017-12-06, 11:23 PM
Played a Paladin who hated slavers.

Encountered a lot of slavers.

Refused to back down and told the party to leave me if needed, I'd free as many as I could.

The party stayed with me and died. A couple of them tried to bail when the realized they were actually going to lose, but it was too late.

I knew we were going to lose immediately, because the DM is a friend and runs the games the way I do. Oh well, I tried to tell them!

That sounds pretty heroic.
I’d have my character male that stand too.

What would be cool, would be if the GM let that be a spark that ignited a revolution:)