PDA

View Full Version : Question on the IotSV

Mad Wizard
2007-08-20, 01:31 PM
One question I have about the Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil is if the personal warding stops your attacks too. Say you have a violet personal warding. Could you cast a spell through the warding to affect others? Also, if someone attacks you while you have the violet veil up, does their weapon disintegrate, or do they just suffer the veil's affects and still hurt you?

Aquillion
2007-08-20, 03:18 PM
The area warding says that things going outwards are not affected by it, so using that you can fling spells out to your heart's content.

The wall warding can be created as a 'one-way' wall that can be passed safely from one side; in that case, anyone could fling spells from that side, but nobody could from the other.

Personal wardings seem to have been overlooked. It says the veil affects creatures that attack inward, but doesn't say that it only affects creatures that attack inward. It says "the warding provides concealment to the initiate, but she can see out with no hindrance". All wardings indicate that the initiate can pass through it safely, too. I think that that it was pretty clearly supposed to indicate that personal wardings don't block the caster's actions at all, and operate like area wardings so you can throw things outwards... but it doesn't actually say that, and the Violet veil pretty clearly says that all objects and effects that cross it get disintegrated (other wardings have similarly broad effects for what they block). So if you want to get pedantic you could argue that anything the initiate tries to throw out of a personal warding will suffer the effect of the veils (though the initiate, personally, never will).

The violet veil disintigrates any objects that cross it. This would include weapons used to strike through it, yes (and the creature holding the weapon, if it's not a reach weapon... although per the wording in Disintegrate, anything they were carrying except the weapon used to strike through the veil would be fine. Unless the DM ruled that those objects passed through the veil, I guess, which would make sense on, say, a ring on the hand used to attack through the veil at the very least.) Note that such objects, including the weapon, would be attended and would therefore get to try to survive using their owner's fort save, though.

Karsh
2007-08-20, 03:27 PM
The personal warding is supposed to function exactly like the area warding, except it's smaller and travels with you, from my understanding of the PrC. So anything you send through it travels unhindered.

I think for the attacking through the veil thing... I believe that it depends on whether or not they fail the save. Nonmagical weapons, etc, should be instantly disintegrated, and I would allow magical ones a save. If they pass the save, they suffer no ill effects...

I dunno, prismatic stuff is kind of ambiguous as to whether passing a save allows you to pass through that layer or not.

Mad Wizard
2007-08-20, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the help.

Aquillion
2007-08-20, 09:52 PM
I think for the attacking through the veil thing... I believe that it depends on whether or not they fail the save. Nonmagical weapons, etc, should be instantly disintegrated, and I would allow magical ones a save. If they pass the save, they suffer no ill effects...Eh? From the exploration section in the SRD:
Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by spells. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus).A wielded weapon would count as attended, so it would get a saving throw using the character's saving throw bonus to resist disintegration. That could result in the humorous circumstance where the character is disintegrated, but their weapon isn't.

Dervag
2007-08-20, 11:00 PM
Eh? From the exploration section in the SRD:A wielded weapon would count as attended, so it would get a saving throw using the character's saving throw bonus to resist disintegration. That could result in the humorous circumstance where the character is disintegrated, but their weapon isn't.The Laws of Dramatic Narrative dictate that whenever a character is destroyed by a disintegration-like effect, their smoldering boots must remain in place.

Perhaps we should rule that attended boots automatically make their save against disintegration effects?