PDA

View Full Version : Support Fighter Build?

Phoenix042
2017-12-05, 01:24 PM
So basically, this is meant to be a frontline melee combatant using maneuvers, feat selection, and general tactics to defend my allies but also to enhance their attacks.

My team will consist of me, an assassin rogue, and a vengeance paladin (with GWM)

Here's my build so far:
Race: Variant Human
Class: Battlemaster Fighter 7
Style: Protection
Feats: Shield Master, Brawny, Resilient (wisdom)
Maneuvers: Commander’s Strike, Distracting Attack, Maneuvering Attack, Rally, Riposte
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 13
Background: Outlander (Wanderer)
Skills: Athletics* +9, Perception +5, Persuasion +4, Stealth +5, Survival +5
Tools: Ocarina, Smith’s Tools

We were given 29 point buy and I got permission from the DM to grab Brawny from the Skill Feats UA, which gives me expertise in athletics (and +1 strength) without having to multiclass.

Also, I have a magic shield that lets me use protection style without eating my reaction (still can only use it once per round). Hence riposte.

What do you think?

Is this as effective as I think it will be? Should I be worried about my low strength? What could I do to improve the concept?

opaopajr
2017-12-05, 01:53 PM
Your Persuasion, Perception, Stealth skills look like interesting support with your Rogue Assassin. And given a Fighter & Paladin, this Assassin definitely has alpha strike support to really shrink the combat pillar game length. Deception would be nice in there, but keep your Outlander concept. Talk to your GM on what sort of poisons are available for your Assassin, and what sort of ensnaring gear is available to your fighter beyond oil, caltrops, & ball bearings before you all go alpha strike nova on some target.

Vaz
2017-12-05, 01:59 PM
Scout Rogue 3 gives you a bit of versatility as well. You can move yourself, have some Skills, plus additional damage.

Shield Master works also very well assist your party members.

Afrodactyl
2017-12-05, 02:28 PM
Tripping attack is so good for this build. With it, you can potentially knock two enemies prone per turn rather than just one, or have another go at proning one you didn't quite get earlier.

A level or two of barbarian would get you rage for advantage on strength checks to grapple/knock prone and a +2 to damage when you attack. Three levels and getting wolf totem would get your allies advantage on melee attacks on creatures within five feet of you.

Galactkaktus
2017-12-05, 02:34 PM
I think all builds with shield master a deacent str and expertise in athletics will be good at supporting others with shoves and the occasional grapple.
As for your choice of maneuvers Commander's strike is great for supporting rogue players since you can easily get in off turn sneak attacks for them otherwise it's abit costly your bonus action + a teammates reaction. And if it's the case that you have a melee rogue player in your party i whould probably take goading attack with Commander's strike since i can use both of them on the same turn to make it alot safer for the rogue.