PDA

View Full Version : Speculation [5e] Grapple Fun

FaceofBo
2017-12-05, 02:21 PM
So, currently, from looking around on the Playground, I have found a couple interesting grappler builds, from Horror Movie People Snatcher, to the Humanoid Cheese Grater. If y'all know more builds, please tell me and I'll add it to the list
:D

Horror Movie Grappler
-Lizardfolk Eagle Totem Barbarian, Tavern Brawler is not necessary but helps immensly
-Dash in, Hungry Jaws, grapple, ADV on grapple checks when Raging, Drag them out
-This build is great for getting those pesky back-liners out of the back lines and just eating them.

Mob Enforcer
-Mountain Dwarf Mastermind Rogue, Grappler Feat
-Str based Rogue, Short sword, Expertise in Athletics, Grappler Feat, Grab people, Never let go, Adv on Grappled targets, Sneak Attack forever
-If you just really like the idea of pinning someone to the ground and shanking them to death while also helping out your buddies, this is for you

Bed of Nails (A Classic)
-Dwarven Battlerager, with spiked armor and Tavern Brawler (Not necessary, but very very helpful)
-Hug people to death.
-Thats about it
-it's that simple Seriously, keep it simple stupid, no hidden messages, just simple murdlerizing

The Humanioid Cheese grater
-Rogue x/Ranger3 OR Druid 3
-Max that strength, take Expertise in Athletics, take Spike Growth and Longstrider
-Have Longstrider on you, get in melee and cast spike growth, setting yourself on the edge, then grapple and sprint back and forth (Bonus points if Tabaxi for super sprints). Make them take X 2d4 per 5 ft with no save, turn them into spaghetti
-Grab more move speed to grate more

If y'all have any additional ideas, or one of these is yours, please tell me and I'll add it/credit you, hope you all enjoy :D

Ventruenox
2017-12-05, 05:58 PM
Apache Chief
Goliath Immortal Mystic with Tavern Brawler and Brawny feats
-Guantlets of Ogre Power equipped.
-Mystic quirk of always wearing a mask makes for a good Luchador.
-Expertise in Athletics
-Giant Growth's Psychic Focus allows for grapple with +5' reach.
-Ogre Form (2PP, concentration, 1 minute) has synergy with Powerful Build Trait, meaning that when you change to size Large, you count as size Huge when determining the weight you can push/drag/lift. Now being effectively two sizes larger than the grappled opponent, movement is no longer halved. If this is incorrect, please let me know.
-Giant Form (7PP, Concentration, 1 minute) You now count as size Gargantuan for the 4560 lbs (19x30x2x2x2) that can be moved around the battlefield. Put those wrasslin' moves on an ancient red dragon.
-Object interaction to lift grappled opponent over the head and thus over 10'. Slam to the ground for 1d6 falling + prone.
-Fire Form (5PP, Concentration, 1 minute) gives 3d6 fire damage to anyone within 10' each turn. Grab & burn.
-Brute Strength. The focus give advantage on grapple checks. +5 to Athletics checks as a bonus action. Bonus action to pseudo smite 1d6 per PP spent on a hit. You can leap 20' per PP as part of your movement. Up to 140' with 7PP spent. Grab, Jump, Drop.
-Entertainer (Gladiator Variant) background for proficiency with a Cestus. (Fist wrap gladitorial weapon, counting it as an Improvised Weapon.) Improvised weapons work with Potent Psionics for +1d8 Psychic damage and can grapple as a bonus action due to Tavern Brawler.

Arcangel4774
2017-12-05, 06:03 PM
Horror Movie Grappler
-Lizardfolk Eagle Totem Barbarian, Tavern Brawler is not necessary but helps immensly
-Dash in, Hungry Jaws, grapple, ADV on grapple checks when Raging, Drag them out
-This build is great for getting those pesky back-liners out of the back lines and just eating them senseless.

Just a minor fix :D

Unoriginal
2017-12-05, 06:09 PM
I might have an idea for this, but I got to ask:

-Str based Rogue, Short sword,

Why use a short sword here? Wouldn't a battleaxe work better?

Arcangel4774
2017-12-05, 06:11 PM
Why use a short sword here? Wouldn't a battleaxe work better?

Short sword would still get sneak attack. The weapon has to be finesse/range but the attacks dont have to be made using strength

Unoriginal
2017-12-05, 06:17 PM
Short sword would still get sneak attack. The weapon has to be finesse/range but the attacks dont have to be made using strength

Oh, right. Thanks a lot. Then I suppose the rapier is the choice with the biggest hit die.

Of course, a short sword is much easier to conceal.

krugaan
2017-12-05, 06:23 PM
Oh, right. Thanks a lot. Then I suppose the rapier is the choice with the biggest hit die.

Of course, a short sword is much easier to conceal.

"Is that a short sword in your pants, or are you just hap ... oh. It's a short sword."

/sneakattacked

FaceofBo
2017-12-05, 09:31 PM
Apache Chief
Goliath Immortal Mystic with Tavern Brawler and Brawny feats

Not gonna lie, haven't touched Mystic with a 10 foot pole, but this looks to ridiculously fun, also very thematic, 10/10

FaceofBo
2017-12-05, 09:34 PM
Eating them senseless

Just a minor fix :D

Pretty sure D&D doesn't implement Vore damage

Saiga
2017-12-05, 09:51 PM
Pretty sure D&D doesn't implement Vore damage

It does in some monster statblocks!

Oerlaf
2017-12-06, 01:45 AM
There are four interesting grappler builds that can be found here: https://web.archive.org/web/20150917000749/http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4142801