PDA

View Full Version : 1HD Outsider that wears heavy armor in its monster entry?

Sleven
2017-12-05, 08:27 PM
Tieflings wear light armor, Aasimar wear medium armor, but is there a playable outsider that wears heavy?

EDIT: it matters for proficiencies, in case anyone is wondering. I suppose an elf or spirit folk with heavy armor could qualify with the Otherworldly feat.

tyckspoon
2017-12-05, 08:35 PM
Tieflings wear light armor, Aasimar wear medium armor, but is there a playable outsider that wears heavy?

EDIT: it matters for proficiencies, in case anyone is wondering. I suppose an elf or spirit folk with heavy armor could qualify with the Otherworldly feat.

The 'X Race As Character' entries would rule here, which do not describe the character wearing *any* armor and thus the Tiefling, Aasimar, and almost any other low-HD outsider which is considered suitable for being a PC does not have racially-derived proficiency with armor. They would get it from their class, just like most races do.

Otherwise, what you're trying to do is essentially the same as writing up a statblock for an Outsider of the race you want to play, assigning it the kind of armor you want to be proficient in, and claiming that this means that because *that other* character wears heavy armor, then *your* character is proficient.

Sleven
2017-12-05, 08:54 PM
The 'X Race As Character' entries would rule here, which do not describe the character wearing *any* armor and thus the Tiefling, Aasimar, and almost any other low-HD outsider which is considered suitable for being a PC does not have racially-derived proficiency with armor. They would get it from their class, just like most races do.

Otherwise, what you're trying to do is essentially the same as writing up a statblock for an Outsider of the race you want to play, assigning it the kind of armor you want to be proficient in, and claiming that this means that because *that other* character wears heavy armor, then *your* character is proficient.

There's a reason why my thread title includes "1HD Outsider" in the title. This character is intended to take 1HD of Outsider as their first level as the base monster entry.

Now that that's over with, can we get on to what the thread is actually about?

The Viscount
2017-12-05, 09:08 PM
All 1HD outsiders that I've seen (excepting races like planetouched) have no armor proficiency. I regret to inform you I don't think it can be done. Would you like to explain more fully what you are aiming to accomplish so that we could discuss alternatives?

Shalist
2017-12-06, 01:07 AM
Is permanently level-draining away excess RHD (pre-game, via your background) an option?

edit: Note that anything with the shapechanger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#shapechangerSubtype) subtype is 'proficient with any weapons / shields / armor mentioned in it's description, as well as lighter forms (of armor).' Also note that anything with the supernatural ability to assume one or more alternate forms has this subtype.

That is, find a something with an alternate form, and you're good to go.

Sleven
2017-12-06, 01:54 AM
All 1HD outsiders that I've seen (excepting races like planetouched) have no armor proficiency. I regret to inform you I don't think it can be done. Would you like to explain more fully what you are aiming to accomplish so that we could discuss alternatives?

I'm building a character concept for a friend. Involves starting out as a planar outsider of some variant and becoming part of a group of planar travelers. Heavy armor proficiency is a requirement for a few prestige classes I thought would fit the character theme beyond level 1 while still staying mostly caster.

Is permanently level-draining away excess RHD (pre-game, via your background) an option?

edit: Note that anything with the shapechanger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#shapechangerSubtype) subtype is 'proficient with any weapons / shields / armor mentioned in it's description, as well as lighter forms (of armor).' Also note that anything with the supernatural ability to assume one or more alternate forms has this subtype.

That is, find a something with an alternate form, and you're good to go.

Yea, I thought of that as well, but I think they were worried that playable monsters with the shapechanger subtype not being otherworldly and/or humanoid-y enough. Can you think of any humanoid looking shapechangers with an otherworldly vibe? Even if they don't fit, maybe I can sell it to them.

The reason I'm looking for the heavy armor requirement is because I can basically have the build done already if I could have that one requirement met. If not, I'll probably just leave them with the nuts and bolts combination I had in mind.

Thurbane
2017-12-06, 03:09 AM
Would Mechanatrix (FF p.137) work? It's listed as wearing banded mail.

Sleven
2017-12-06, 07:17 PM
Would Mechanatrix (FF p.137) work? It's listed as wearing banded mail.

They won't like the Cha penalty, but that's actually perfect! They specifically asked for a Darth Vader armored mage-like theme.

Thanks, Thurbane.