PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer build help

Harrysonford
2017-12-05, 09:44 PM
Can you guys please help me choose one of these builds for a sorcerer?
The rest of my party is: cleric, ranger, rogue, barbarian, and wizard

#1~
Storm sorcerer, tabaxi
In battle: staying in the back and blasting, but running in and out to help, eventually using thunder step to rescue wounded fighters to bring them to the cleric.

#2~
Shadow sorcerer, lightfoot halfling
(This one’s a bit different)
In battle: using hunting traps, but mainly staying in back blasting and using control spells.
*other: using thieves tools to make traps

#3~
Divine soul, Half elf
In battle: blasting and twinning healing spells

#4~
Divine soul, tiefling
Going all out on charisma right away
In battle: being very aggressive, and using mostly power spells from the cleric list

Your input would be greatly appreciated:)

Ritorix
2017-12-05, 11:51 PM
Based on that party you have a solid group. I'm assuming the others play to their classes' typical roles so the party has a bunch of single-target attackers, a tank, a primary healer and a blaster/controller. The only thing really missing is charisma and the social pillar of play. As the only charisma-based character, I would probably go variant human and take Inspiring Leader right away. It will fit your whole party.

For build, I would go divine soul, taking twin and empower. You'll supplement both the wizard and cleric, healing or blasting as needed. Think about how Concentration will be spent between you, the cleric and the wizard. Lots of options there, like you and the cleric could both Bless and cover all 6 party members. Don't focus much on healing, you really just want healing word for emergencies. Take a few of the blast staples like fireball, and one spell with attack rolls like scorching ray. Low AC will be your primary weakness, so consider a dip into hexblade for armor, a shield and the shield spell.

Easy_Lee
2017-12-06, 10:22 AM
Sorcerers aren't actually all that good at blasting unless they devote their build to it (dragon sorcerer). You run out of spell slots quickly trying to be a blaster.

Their major strengths are buffs and debuffs, especially when twinned or strengthened via a feature (such as heighten or hound of ill omen). I recommend you focus on that as it's the one thing you do that no one else can do as well. With Flexible Casting, you should always be able to make the spell slot you need to cast the right buff or debuff, as long as you chose the spell.