PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul/Cleric

AwfulLawful
2007-08-20, 02:24 PM
I'm about to make a new character for our campaign, and it needs to be someone with a bit of healing. I don't want to bring out CoDzilla, so I'll go for a Favored Soul.

I've never played one before, so I could really use some help when it comes to feats and spell selection. All core books are allowed.

We are lvl 8 and the other two party members are a rogue and a ranger(archer). We are playing in Forgotten Realms.

I'd like the guy to be a melee character and focus my spells around healing and buffing. He'll be a human or half-elf.

Thought about taking the augment healing feat, but I don't know about the rest... Power Attack is a classic, though.

Another thing I considered was taking a single level of cleric, but I don't know if its wise.
I'd get proficiency with heavy armor, access to two domains (I'd go for the ones with the coolest domain powers, or perhaps healing), and the ability to turn/rebuke undead quite a few times each day which would open up for the nifty Divine feats. On the down side, I won't be able to cast my 4th level spells as a Favored Soul :smallfrown: At least until we reach level 9

Hope you can/will help me on this one

-AwfulLawful

Person_Man
2007-08-20, 03:19 PM
CoDzilla only occurs when a Cleric or Druid buffs themselves to insane power levels. There's no reason to nerf yourself by playing a Favored Soul just to avoid that. You just have to learn restraint in your spellcasting, and don't take Divine Metamagic.

Spiryt
2007-08-20, 03:28 PM
CoDzilla only occurs when a Cleric or Druid buffs themselves to insane power levels. There's no reason to nerf yourself by playing a Favored Soul just to avoid that. You just have to learn restraint in your spellcasting, and don't take Divine Metamagic.

Well, for me it's better to multiclass that way and try to use best parts of such guy than "restraining spellcasting" and generally playing with " I can't do that" feeling.

If Favoured Soul is indeed not so powerful as Clerics it's only better. AwfulLawful can play him normally without chance or temptation to become broken.

Seatbelt
2007-08-20, 04:31 PM
Spontaneous Healer makes you a cleric, and you dont have to learn the various heal spells, to cast them in your slots. At least.. I dont think you do.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-08-21, 12:02 AM
Amended post.

A lot depends on alignment and if Flaws are allowed for bonus feats?

Since in FRCS a Planetouched +0LA Aaisamar Human would be very good for a FS with the Wisdom and Charisma bonus.

FS-6, Pious Templar -1, Sacred Exorcist -1 need to be Good with the True Believer Feat (FS at third provides the Weapon Focus).

Level 1 need to take Educated Feat to qualify for SE knowledge requirements, Level 3 or 6 take the True Believer feat which leaves one open feat.

Bonus feat Mounted Combat (To qualify for PRC Paladin over the next 3 levels).

Now you can take 3 levels of PRC Paladin at 9, 10 and 11 and only lose 1 CL while gaining most Paladin bennies.

Kurobara
2007-08-21, 12:20 AM
Favored Soul - 6, PRC Paladin -2 (LG, lots of cross class skills Religion -2, Nobility and Royalty -2 and Ride -4 plus need the Mounted Combat feat).

Lose 1CL but pick up Divine Grace and Turn Undead plus other paladin specials. Taking another level gets you Aura of Courage and Divine Health.

PrC Paladin doesn't grant Turn Undead, it requires it for entry. Something like Favored Soul 8/Sacred Exorcist 1/PrC Paladin 2 would work though.

horseboy
2007-08-21, 12:50 AM
Well, if you're the only tank of three, there's really not that much wrong with Cleric. You're going to need some help keeping mobs off of the rest of the party.

Ramza00
2007-08-21, 01:09 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm

Will reduce your power somewhat while not to the extent favored soul does. Just don't take multiple domains through soverign speaker, contemplativ,e etc.