PDA

View Full Version : A question about Telling blow from D&D 3.5 PHB 2

Crow_Nightfeath
2017-12-05, 11:11 PM
Telling Blow
Type: General
Source: Player's Handbook II
When you strike an opponent's vital areas, you draw on your ability to land crippling blows to make the most of your attack.
Prerequisite: Skirmish or sneak attack ability.
Benefit: When you score a critical hit against a target, you deal your skirmish or sneak attack damage in addition to the damage from your critical hit. Your critical multiplier applies only to your normal damage, not your skirmish or sneak attack damage. This benefit affects both melee and ranged attacks.

There is an errata that explains that the sneak attack damage only happens once. But that's not my question. Is the normal sneak attack range still in effect for this feat? It came up in a game a little while back where our rogue scored a critical with their bow further out than the 30 ft range. I ruled in favor of the extra damage at the time to keep an argument from ensuing, but I'm still not sure if that's how it really works or not.

Powerdork
2017-12-05, 11:32 PM
You're not using your sneak attack ability, you're using the feat to add your sneak attack damage (a value you can point to) to the damage roll when you've scored a critical hit. That's my take on it. It's like adding your Charisma bonus to saving throws as a 2nd-level paladin: circumstances normally don't let you apply your stat to a roll, but a special circumstance comes up that does, based on an ability you have. And Charisma for Will saving throws isn't out of the question, see one of the DMGs (I forget which but I swear to you it's in there somewhere).

TL;DR For every (saving throw)/(critical hit), you add your (Charisma bonus)/(sneak attack damage) even if it wouldn't normally apply, because of (divine grace)/(Telling Blow).

Crow_Nightfeath
2017-12-06, 12:05 AM
Okay, that actually makes a lot of sense, thank you.