PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Tripleclassing

Malapterus
2017-12-06, 12:24 AM
In 5E, if multiclassing is allowed, can one multiclass more than once? It seems like 'the good stuff' concentrates at the beginning and end of a class build so getting three 'starts' might be unbalanced.

I'm looking for someone who is very useful in to the team as well as doing a good job of fitting a specific combat role. Here's my proposed build:

Half Elf
Rogue 2
Ranger (Hunter) 3
Fighter (Battle Master) 15

specializing in the use of a longbow, backed up with dual scimitars.

This build would net me 9 skills, a bonus attack from the first Hunter option, three maneuvers, and two bonus attacks from the Fighter, among other things. It would cost me a few HP and any high-level stuff.

Any thoughts? Would you allow it?

Bahamut7
2017-12-06, 12:36 AM
In 5E, if multiclassing is allowed, can one multiclass more than once? It seems like 'the good stuff' concentrates at the beginning and end of a class build so getting three 'starts' might be unbalanced.

I'm looking for someone who is very useful in to the team as well as doing a good job of fitting a specific combat role. Here's my proposed build:

Half Elf
Rogue 2
Ranger (Hunter) 3

This build would net me 9 skills, a bonus attack from the first Hunter option, three maneuvers, and two bonus attacks from the Fighter, among other things. It would cost me a few HP and any high-level stuff.

My only concern is that you wouldn't have Extra Attack until level 10. Sure, the one time you do hit, you potentially hit hard but still. Now if you started at level 10, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Hyde
2017-12-06, 12:38 AM
I'd allow it, sure. There are a plethora of ways of getting an attack as a bonus action, however you'd like to do it.

Jerrykhor
2017-12-06, 12:39 AM
By RAW, you can take a level in every single class if you want. But as always, ask your DM first.

Desteplo
2017-12-06, 12:56 AM
There’s a build that learns all skills
-half elf. (2+2)
-rogue 1 (4)
-warlock 2 (2)
-cleric 1 (2)
-bard 3 (3)
-feat (3)

Takes 8 lvls but gets there
-could even add ranger in there

But yeah, DMs need to be consulted
-power level
-party composition
-campaign setting
Are all factors

Malifice
2017-12-06, 01:14 AM

Half Elf
Rogue 2
Ranger (Hunter) 3

You're delaying your abilities at 5th and 11th levels (in this case extra attack and extra attack(2)).

In 5E they've done a really good job of making MCing hurt. Ive seen plenty of players really regret a 1 or 2 level dip in a class when the other players hit 5th level and (extra attack, 3rd level spells, stunning strike, bardic inspiration on a short rest, uncanny dodge etc) all come into play.

Talamare
2017-12-06, 06:36 AM
It's called Multiclassing, not Doubleclassing

Some people may find it obnoxious, but it's kinda of whatever

Jethro
2017-12-06, 07:17 AM
There’s a build that learns all skills
-half elf. (2+2)
-rogue 1 (4)
-warlock 2 (2)
-cleric 1 (2)
-bard 3 (3)
-feat (3)

Takes 8 lvls but gets there
-could even add ranger in there

But yeah, DMs need to be consulted
-power level
-party composition
-campaign setting
Are all factors

You actually get 4 from Bard (1 free from the class and then 3 more from Lore).

Instead start VHuman with Skilled feat and not lose any ASI.

You could also be a Scout Rogue 3 and dump the Warlock or Cleric.

Or go VHuman with Skilled feat, Ranger 5/Rogue (Scout) X and have proficiency in 13 skills with expertise in 6...pretty boss build...would be a beast at tracking and infiltration. I'd probably go Gloomstalker Ranger (but Hunter works great too). Expertise in Survival, Nature, Stealth, Sleight of Hand, and something else. Start 1 Rogue then 5 Ranger then rest rogue. Or Start Ranger and then rest Rogue and lose one skill (probably won't be missed). You'd have great sneak attack damage (eventually) and sniping skills.

But I'd recommend less skills and Ranger levels and just go with Fighter and Rogue.

MrStabby
2017-12-06, 07:20 AM
Yes tripleclassing is fine.

Good stuff is, as you say, often at the front of a class but it is also true that you often get abilities that grow through class levels. In your example classes spellcasting may be one such thing. Each time you gain ranger spellslots you don't just get more, you also get better slots that can cast better spells.

Other examples are barbarians that not only get more rages, but the things rages add get better. Bardic inspiration that gets more uses (short rest recovery), more things it can be used for and a bigger die size.

By adding more classes you miss out on the faster than linear growth some of these features offer. Sometimes it is a good trade - sometimes not.

Some of the low level class features do effectively scale though - getting these into a build is nice. Warlock 2 is the classic example, but rogue 2 is similar. Rogue 2 lets you bonus action dash - for example getting an extra round of combat in for a melee character; as such it scales with the damage a character can do in a round.

N810
2017-12-06, 11:33 AM
Don't forget that you need to meet the minimum stat requirements for your new class.

2D8HP
2017-12-06, 12:09 PM
.....Or go....

....But I'd recommend less skills and Ranger levels and just go with Fighter and Rogue..
:amused:

I like they way you think.

Those are damn fine suggestions

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-06, 04:02 PM

Half Elf
Rogue 2
Ranger (Hunter) 3

I'd allow it, but I'd encourage you to go to Ranger 5-- the game expects you to have significant jumps in capacity around 5th and 11th levels, and it'll be a looooong slog to ECL 10 without that. In fact, Rogue 1/Ranger 5/Rogue +3/Fighter 4 is probably neater all around-- start with your skills and sneak attack, build up to your Extra Attack only a level late, then stack picking up more ASIs and the rest of the fancy stuff you were after. After that, I'd honestly suggest going back to Rogue; that gets you an third ASI in short order and starts racking up the damage boost faster and more neatly than more Fighter will.

You can combine as many classes as you want, but remember that things like Extra Attack don't stack, and you'll need ASIs eventually. It might help to plot things out. My build suggestion, then, would give you

1st: Sneak Attack, Expertise, extra skills
2nd: Extra Skill
3rd: Fighting Style
4th: Hunter extra attack
5th: ASI
6th: Extra Attack
7th: Cunning Surge
8th: Sneak Attack, Archetype option
10th: Fighting Style
11th: Action Surge
12th: Maneuvers
13th: ASI

That gets you the main features (Extra Attack, enough ASIs to max your key stat, 11th level offense boost) just a level late, while still picking up most of the things you care about. If you stick with Fighter, you'll get your third attack at 20th, making a nice little capstone; if you go back to Rogue, you'll rack up another 4d6 Sneak Attack (likely more damage than the Extra Attack) and end with Reliable Talent, another neat capstone.

Malapterus
2017-12-14, 10:39 AM
What do you guys think of Ranger(Hunter) 3/Fighter(Battle Master) 4/Ranger(Hunter) for the rest of the build; using a bow, using battle madter maneuvers at range with the Sharpshooter feat?

the_brazenburn
2017-12-14, 10:44 AM

Half Elf
Rogue 2
Ranger (Hunter) 3

<Cough, cough, Drizzt Do'Urden, cough, cough.>

All you really need to do to get the archetype is swap half-elf for drow and get a figurine of wondrous power.

No offense is meant, it does sound like a cool build.

mephnick
2017-12-14, 10:51 AM
If you're starting at level 1 you'll be switching characters within a couple months as you realize it's not actually very fun to build up low levels in multiple classes for some distant future where your character is slightly better than he would have been as a single class.

Malapterus
2017-12-15, 03:20 PM
If you're starting at level 1 you'll be switching characters within a couple months as you realize it's not actually very fun to build up low levels in multiple classes for some distant future where your character is slightly better than he would have been as a single class.

But I want to shoot someone with my bow and somehow launch him 15 feet and then vanish into the woods and complain to the squirrels about having to wear pants

Joe the Rat
2017-12-15, 03:28 PM
But I want to shoot someone with my bow and somehow launch him 15 feet and then vanish into the woods and complain to the squirrels about having to wear pants

Oh! In that case skip all the fighter/ranger nonsense and be a Warlock. Get the Repelling Blast and Beast Speech invocations at level 2, and chitter away.
Either Archfey or Great Old One is thematically appropriate for no pants.

Mjolnirbear
2017-12-15, 03:46 PM
I'd allow it, but I'd encourage you to go to Ranger 5-- the game expects you to have significant jumps in capacity around 5th and 11th levels, and it'll be a looooong slog to ECL 10 without that. In fact, Rogue 1/Ranger 5/Rogue +3/Fighter 4 is probably neater all around-- start with your skills and sneak attack, build up to your Extra Attack only a level late, then stack picking up more ASIs and the rest of the fancy stuff you were after. After that, I'd honestly suggest going back to Rogue; that gets you an third ASI in short order and starts racking up the damage boost faster and more neatly than more Fighter will.

You can combine as many classes as you want, but remember that things like Extra Attack don't stack, and you'll need ASIs eventually. It might help to plot things out. My build suggestion, then, would give you

1st: Sneak Attack, Expertise, extra skills
2nd: Extra Skill
3rd: Fighting Style
4th: Hunter extra attack
5th: ASI
6th: Extra Attack
7th: Cunning Surge
8th: Sneak Attack, Archetype option
10th: Fighting Style
11th: Action Surge
12th: Maneuvers
13th: ASI

That gets you the main features (Extra Attack, enough ASIs to max your key stat, 11th level offense boost) just a level late, while still picking up most of the things you care about. If you stick with Fighter, you'll get your third attack at 20th, making a nice little capstone; if you go back to Rogue, you'll rack up another 4d6 Sneak Attack (likely more damage than the Extra Attack) and end with Reliable Talent, another neat capstone.

Ranger 5 or fighter 5.with the proposed build, go fighter 5. You get more ASIs with fighter and more attacks if you can pack in 11 levels of fighter.

BoringInfoGuy
2017-12-15, 05:02 PM
Don't forget that you need to meet the minimum stat requirements for your new class.

And the minimum requirement(s) for the class you started with.