PDA

View Full Version : Advice on characters death and rerolling....

Mihek
2017-12-06, 06:22 AM
So for the last year I have been playing a Kenku Monk/Paladin of Roa who advocates for peace (Think Jedi-inspired bird man). During the end of our first major story arc, Tristen, the monk, was killed and resurrected by his party. Recently, he has been battling death a little too much. After setting in motion a series of events that resulted in a mind-deteriorated silver dragon laying waste to his family and city he was from, the party set off to find a sphinx they'd heard of nearby to roll time back.

The place was an old temple to the Raven Queen, now used as a lair for a Beholder with the sphinx hidden away beneath the temple. We managed to sneak in, and the riddles to get to the sphinx required someone to sacrifice themselves. I did so, and was granted my life back by the Raven Queen herself after pleading with her and then agreeing to slay Baphomet on her behalf for the problems he is causing in our campaign. The Raven Queen questioned if this was the right choice, feeling that fate wanted me dead since this was my second time in the realm of the dead... She resurrected me though and on our way, we went only to get noticed by the beholder..... He eyesocketed me with a stun into an autocrit on his best beam (I don't recall the names, but it's the last one, necrotic damage) which auto killed me.....

My party ultimately had to come retrieve my body and speak directly to the Raven Queen. She was not pleased about letting me come back, and on some powerful persuasion rolls, we made it happen. Which leads us back to the dragon. We had the sand of time from the Sphinx and were allowed to either roll back time on the entire town, or back or forward time on a specific person. Unfortunately, we were not entirely sure how the item worked and the range was quite small, so myself and the ranger were stuck making the choice alone. Potentially, rolling back experience from our other players to save the town. Ultimately, we choose to give youth back to a powerful arcanist that had lived for longer than we had even known at the time, having been part of the original war of the gods. He sealed the dragon away but we had to fight for 10 rounds. Guess who is dead again..... (This time two of us died)

So here is the actual question, story line it makes sense to accept the Raven Queens beliefs that I should move on. The DM has said to roll a second character just in case, but says that there are means of me coming back if I choose too (Guessing as a revenant). As a player, I have been getting weary of the Kenku lifestyle. Our group is very RP-Centered and a Jedi like monk that cannot compose his own thoughts and sentences is difficult to roleplay. Still, I love the character and have been playing him for a year in January. There are many potential stories unfolding including that of his connection as the Avatar of Roa, a god that has very few followers and has chosen Tristen to bring about the peace he seeks. I am worried about giving up those stories and giving up on this character.

On the other hand, I have a really solid idea for a new character that I am really excited about. He would be really fun to play and would be able to get into the story fairly easy. My DM told me to decide by next session what my thoughts are. I can't decide though. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks

TL;DR Character keeps dying and might have trouble being ressurected. Should I live with the consequences of coming back to keep a character going or accept their fate and roll a new character?

Unoriginal
2017-12-06, 07:05 AM
Well, your character apparently had no problem letting a town and hundreds of people, including his family, stay dead, even though he had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to bring everyone back.

Is that the kind of person who would keep trying to follow a god's task (or rather, several gods' tasks) despite the repeated deaths and the consequences?

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-06, 08:26 AM
It seems your poor Kenku is fates to pass from the world. If you've been getting tired with playing him, maybe it is time for you to embrace a new character that you're excited to play.

The game is about having fun together. It sounds like you aren't having too good a time, and are kinda going through the motions by now.

I say, let the drumstick stay dead, and grab yourself a new character to rock.

MrStabby
2017-12-06, 08:39 AM
I think there is reincarnation that lets you come back as a different species. Might work for you. Also lets you keep some of your character whilst also "moving on".