PDA

View Full Version : Advice on creating a warlock "magical girl"

eleclipse
2017-12-06, 03:15 PM
So i'm toying with the idea of creating a "magical girl" warlock, the base concept it's to fuse a "sailor moon" type of caracter with the concept of someone that when trought "vietnam" and severe violence and now, while trying to remain "sugar and stars", have a violent\hysterical side to her.

It's a bit serious a bit non-sense.

Meccanicaly speaking (it also need to be viable) i want it to be a warlock, and i was thinking of going:

HEXBLADE ("magical wand"!)
Maybe pact of the chain to have a "pet", a imp in disguise (perfect with the concept) or Maybe just pact of the blade and flavour the "wand" thing with the fact that it can become any weapon (of course shel will talk to the weapon) mechanically mostly a longbow.

So i wanted to ask:

Advice of chain / blade?

I like both idea so i'm mostly looking at mechanic advice, i hear good thing about pet but i never had one and i find hard to figure a real utility to it, at the same time i really like the blade pact but is there a real difference with eldritch blast? (i mean i can add cool feature with the new invocations, and maybe also goo sharpshooter and everything but i'm not sure)

Any advice on feat / other that will thematically fit well with che carachter concept :)

Thanks in adavance for any help!

Typhon
2017-12-06, 03:23 PM
I love the idea of a magic girl warlock character. The class seems like a beautiful fit for the concept.

My only additional thought is don't bind yourself too heavily to hexblade. A fey or goo patron would also work well story wise and leave the blade pact as an option. Maybe refluff the Raven queen. Talk to your DM, I really want to see the final result.

I never was to interested in the show, but didn't it take a while before she got her wand?

Easy_Lee
2017-12-06, 03:27 PM
You can take blade pact for a more effective weapon. It's also necessary for improved pact weapon, without which you cannot use a Longbow as a pact weapon.

Variant Human will let you pick up Magic Initiate at first level. The spell find familiar will give you the familiar you desire and will allow you to resummon him once per day if he dies.

Take ascendant leap when you can. This lets you cast Jump at will for implausible acrobatics, necessary for a modern magical girl. As a result, you won't want to completely dump strength.

krugaan
2017-12-06, 06:38 PM
I'll just have you know, I restraining myself was a nigh herculean task.

Instead I'll ask ... what qualities/powers besides transformation/wands/vapidity are quintessentially magical girl?

Bahamut7
2017-12-06, 06:51 PM
OMG I love this. Why didn't I think of this sooner? Also, watch madoka magica and get to episode 3 at least.

Now then, I agree with Easy_lee and to use a feat to get find familiar or ask your DM if they would just give it to you as it fits the concept. Though, if just given to you, it may not act accordingly all the time, especially if this is a magical girl with pTSD.

Hexblade is perfect for the battle magical girl genre. Ascendant Step/Otherworldly Leap, Armor of Shadows, Mask of Many Faces, Sculptor of Flesh (could mix well with her more hysterical side), and Thirsting Blade are all definite.

Eldritch Smite might even mix well as a Final Attack.

I am not going to lie, I may do this at some point (not the war torn version). Thank you for this inspiration.

MrBig
2017-12-06, 06:54 PM
As for Blade vs Chain Pact, it comes down to whether you want to be a melee or ranged attacker.

Blade can have slightly higher damage output, but you need to put more resources into it.

If you go Chain (or Tome) you get a very strong ranged attack, and it only takes one invocation.

Flavor-wise, you could fluff eldritch blast as a magical bow that appears and shoots bolts o’ magic.

Take the Light cantrip for glowing, colored magic ambiance, and the invocation for at-will Silent Image to be able to create special effects.

Greywander
2017-12-06, 07:26 PM
Also, watch madoka magica and get to episode 3 at least.
I'm only two episodes in, but this Mami character seems to really have her head on straight, I can't wait to see where her character arc heads later in the series. I'm sure it will be a big weight off her shoulders once her friends agree to fight with her. Let's just hope she doesn't lose her head and bite off more than she can chew. But if her friends help then I'm sure she won't get left hanging.
Would you like to make a deal? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I've actually thought about this a bit myself. I thought it would be interesting to run a Madoka Magica styled campaign where the players are just regular girls with no powers, and see how long they can last before selling their soul.

Hexblade/blade pact seems like the best fit, as most magical girls I've seen seem to have a signature weapon that appears when they transform, but you could fluff the signature weapon and go with a different patron or pact. Mask of Many Faces/Master of Myriad Forms can be used to don your magical girl outfit. Eldritch blast can be reflavored as a thematic energy beam suited to your character.

Definitely take Fly as one of your spells, better if you can somehow get permanent flight. Ascendant Step and Otherworldly Leap can give you some at-will mobility so you don't need to burn a spell slot on flight. Gestalting, if allowed by your DM, as a sorcerer, wizard, cleric, or bard would also give you access to more spell slots, making it more feasible to cast Fly while still having plenty of spell slots. Gestalting also adds a way for different magical girl characters to distinguish themselves from one another in terms of themes and abilities.

Bahamut7
2017-12-06, 07:33 PM
I'm only two episodes in, but this Mami character seems to really have her head on straight, I can't wait to see where her character arc heads later in the series. I'm sure it will be a big weight off her shoulders once her friends agree to fight with her. Let's just hope she doesn't lose her head and bite off more than she can chew. But if her friends help then I'm sure she won't get left hanging.
Would you like to make a deal? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I've actually thought about this a bit myself. I thought it would be interesting to run a Madoka Magica styled campaign where the players are just regular girls with no powers, and see how long they can last before selling their soul.

Hexblade/blade pact seems like the best fit, as most magical girls I've seen seem to have a signature weapon that appears when they transform, but you could fluff the signature weapon and go with a different patron or pact. Mask of Many Faces/Master of Myriad Forms can be used to don your magical girl outfit. Eldritch blast can be reflavored as a thematic energy beam suited to your character.

Definitely take Fly as one of your spells, better if you can somehow get permanent flight. Ascendant Step and Otherworldly Leap can give you some at-will mobility so you don't need to burn a spell slot on flight. Gestalting, if allowed by your DM, as a sorcerer, wizard, cleric, or bard would also give you access to more spell slots, making it more feasible to cast Fly while still having plenty of spell slots. Gestalting also adds a way for different magical girl characters to distinguish themselves from one another in terms of themes and abilities.

I don't want to hijack the thread but after you see episode 3 just send me a personal message. But yes, I also agree Fly would be great.

krugaan
2017-12-06, 07:34 PM
I'm going to honestly say this is the only thread I regret participating in.

/backs out slowly

Typhon
2017-12-06, 07:49 PM
I regret nothing

Rysto
2017-12-06, 07:51 PM
Flavor-wise, you could fluff eldritch blast as a magical bow that appears and shoots bolts o’ magic.

Here's an alternate interpretation. (https://static.zerochan.net/Yagami.Hayate.full.1190667.jpg)

Bahamut7
2017-12-06, 08:45 PM
Here's an alternate interpretation. (https://static.zerochan.net/Yagami.Hayate.full.1190667.jpg)

That is beautiful. More of a tomelock using shillagggga to act as all in one warlock, but still.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-07, 02:56 AM
Is homebrew an option? Because there's an otherworldly patron (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/02/the-mystical-talisman.html) and a full base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444516-Base-Class-Magical-Girl-(AKA-quot-Help-me-I-ve-done-something-terrible!-quot-)) right here that might fit the bill.

Clone
2017-12-07, 06:13 AM
This is one of the characters I'll be using later on. Here is what I'll be doing:

Patron: Celestial Patron wins for me. The healing capabilities, while limited, are great for being a team player. Alternative is Hexblade for all those goodies and the curse, reflavoured to be a special move of sorts.

Invocations: Mask of Many Faces and Armor of Shadows for your disguise. Normally you wear common clothes but whenever bad guys come around, shout "oh no, evil doers! Who's that in that bush over there?? I'll go get them!".
Proceed to jump into bush and cast Mage Armor for your outfit and Disguise Self for your mask/ hair change. When the battle is over, say your catchphrase and jump back into the bush to turn off your disguise (or recast them to look normal). Agonizing blast if chain, to keep up in damage.

Pact: Depends on the party, but Blade and Chain are great. Blade for your oversized, ridiculous weapon which you swing with ease. Chain for your faithful sidekick, take whichever suits your character (I know some of you want that Imp/ Quasit familiar). Sprite wins for me.

But whatever you do, make sure your eventual reveal of your identity (if it ever comes) is overdramatic, even if EVERYONE already knows. Act like there's no way they could have known.

Zalabim
2017-12-07, 07:11 AM
Alternative is Hexblade for all those goodies and the curse, reflavoured to be a special move of sorts.
The curse is that one speech you always give. Oh, sure, it's technically different every time, but everyone calls it "that one speech" because it always ends the same way. In the name of something, I'll something.

Invocations: Mask of Many Faces and Armor of Shadows for your disguise. Normally you wear common clothes but whenever bad guys come around, shout "oh no, evil doers! Who's that in that bush over there?? I'll go get them!".
Proceed to jump into bush and cast Mage Armor for your outfit and Disguise Self for your mask/ hair change. When the battle is over, say your catchphrase and jump back into the bush to turn off your disguise (or recast them to look normal). Agonizing blast if chain, to keep up in damage.
The proper transformation sequence is Minor Illusion (theme music). Silent Image (flashy background). Mask of Many Faces [Disguise Self] (Costume). Armor of Shadows [Mage Armor] (magical protection). Fiendish Vigor [False Life/Armor of Agathys] (More magical protection). Create Pact Weapon/dismiss or call familiar (whichever your style). Then, if it's really serious, you might cast Fire Shield (Fired Up), Mirror Image (Misty Doppelgangers), Blink (Time Manipulation) or the like depending on your patron and level.

Sure it takes over half a minute (up to 36-42 seconds in this case), but it's just so authentic. If you're pressed for time, you can drop the fanfare and get it finished in 24-30 seconds, but either way you can transform several times in the span it takes a ranger to put on a breastplate.

eleclipse
2017-12-07, 07:41 AM
First of all thank you all for the ideas and suggestions!

You can take blade pact for a more effective weapon. It's also necessary for improved pact weapon, without which you cannot use a Longbow as a pact weapon.

Variant Human will let you pick up Magic Initiate at first level. The spell find familiar will give you the familiar you desire and will allow you to resummon him once per day if he dies.

Take ascendant leap when you can. This lets you cast Jump at will for implausible acrobatics, necessary for a modern magical girl. As a result, you won't want to completely dump strength.

Nice idea! I think that as long as i find a magic weapon and i've pact of the blade i can bind a longbow anyway (and the the rest if flavour)

I'll just have you know, I restraining myself was a nigh herculean task.

Instead I'll ask ... what qualities/powers besides transformation/wands/vapidity are quintessentially magical girl?

Appreciate the effort! :D

Uhmmm lot of good aswer after that question but i'll probably add naivety/romantic while being absurdly strong?

OMG I love this. Why didn't I think of this sooner? Also, watch madoka magica and get to episode 3 at least.

Eldritch Smite might even mix well as a Final Attack.

I am not going to lie, I may do this at some point (not the war torn version). Thank you for this inspiration.

Will watch it! sure use it at will the i was also ispired for the basic concept by a friend of mine, love the idea of the final attack!

As for Blade vs Chain Pact, it comes down to whether you want to be a melee or ranged attacker.

Blade can have slightly higher damage output, but you need to put more resources into it.

If you go Chain (or Tome) you get a very strong ranged attack, and it only takes one invocation.

Take the Light cantrip for glowing, colored magic ambiance, and the invocation for at-will Silent Image to be able to create special effects.

You had me at "special effects"

Why you say that blade is slightly higher damage output? i tought what going ranged with the various feats was the one

Sadly no gestaling, basically i play with AL rules in my group

I don't want to hijack the thread but after you see episode 3 just send me a personal message. But yes, I also agree Fly would be great.

Will do!

]Here's an alternate interpretation.

That's just perfect!

Is homebrew an option?

Sadly not an option :(

Pact: Depends on the party, but Blade and Chain are great. Blade for your oversized, ridiculous weapon which you swing with ease. Chain for your faithful sidekick, take whichever suits your character (I know some of you want that Imp/ Quasit familiar). Sprite wins for me.

But whatever you do, make sure your eventual reveal of your identity (if it ever comes) is overdramatic, even if EVERYONE already knows. Act like there's no way they could have known.

Oversize you mean flavour wise right?

For the rest i just love your description!

The curse is that one speech you always give. Oh, sure, it's technically different every time, but everyone calls it "that one speech" because it always ends the same way. In the name of something, I'll something.

The proper transformation sequence is ....... or the like depending on your patron and level.

Sure it takes over half a minute (up to 36-42 seconds in this case), but it's just so authentic. If you're pressed for time, you can drop the fanfare and get it finished in 24-30 seconds, but either way you can transform several times in the span it takes a ranger to put on a breastplate.

That's gold, i won't probably put it into real use but it really gave me lot of idea to work on while "roleplaying it"

---

While thinking about it i decied that, in the meantime, i will create a whole 4/5 party of this for the fun of it (and also it le me see what i like the most), so i started to think "i need one tematically tied to fire, sorecer level?...." this is going to be fun

I'm still very undecied about the distance vs close combat, probally just flavour wise it should be someone pretty decent at both.

Ellisthion
2017-12-07, 07:59 AM
My group did a whole "Magic Girls" two-shot; set in typical stereotypical modern Japan, and we got transformation sequences etc.

I went with Warlock, and after binge-watching a pile of Sailor Moon:
* I went Tome because I wanted to pick up Thaumaturgy to make fancy eyes and dramatic voice
* I took a lot of non-violent control options: Fey Presence, Calm Emotions, Hypnotic Pattern, Fear
* Mask of Many Faces for Sailor Moon disguise powers + legit explanation for transformation sequence

My character sheet (https://i.imgur.com/nTifsbA.png)

I can't find it but I wrote up a description of a transformation sequence, involving an outfit of glimmering blue scales appearing. Her Eldritch Blast was her pulling scales off her outfit and chucking them, with me shouting "SCALES OF JUSTICE!"

The coolest other characters were:
* A bard whose 'performance' for casting etc was her drawing pictures mid-air that came to life; her transformation sequence involved her drawing her outfit onto herself
* A middle-aged school teacher barbarian whose 'rage' turned her into teenaged version of herself wielding a ball-and-chain like the girl in Kill Bill (https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b7/72/97/b77297ea84cac54c84da5b30b63e9110--schoolgirl-bad-girls.jpg)