PDA

View Full Version : Thank you all for a very interesting set of role-playing discussions

Jay R
2017-12-06, 03:51 PM
I've been in role-playing discussions for over seven years, and I just wanted to say "Thank you." The manners, courtesy, and willingness to listen on giantitp is far above what I've seen on most internet discussions of roleplaying.

We've had disagreements where we eventually found out we had misunderstood each other, disagreements where we finally tracked our differences back to the fundamental assumptions or matters of taste, disagreements where we learned that other points of view have value, disagreements where we learned the one crucial fact that changed our views, ...

... and yes, some that went nowhere. Some where we just got angry.

But the overall quality of the discussions has been great.

I started playing 3.5e after reading some discussions here, after many years of other boards convinced me I wanted nothing to do with it. I've found people really worth listening to, and people who wanted to listen to me.

Thank you all for a wonderful set of uplifting, annoying, delightful, frustrating, informative, serious, and silly discussions.

Quertus
2017-12-06, 07:52 PM
I applaud you for creating this thread. While I share most of your sentiment, and greatly appreciate the Playground and Playgrounders, I doubt I'd have ever made such a thread.

Three cheers for the Playground!

Jama7301
2017-12-06, 07:55 PM
I mostly lurk, but I do appreciate the conversations you guys have a lot. It's helpful for seeing all sorts of different things and finding new ideas that you can work into your own. I will echo these sentiments.

In some threads though, y'all are intimidating as heck, haha.

JNAProductions
2017-12-06, 07:58 PM
May you game well, Mr. Jay R, for now and forever.

This thread is much appreciated. :)

Cluedrew
2017-12-06, 08:20 PM
{Having minor panic attack over the possibility of a good poster of the form leaving.}

Either way, I am also a fan of the forum. I am not a member of many sites but I joined this one because the conversation here impressed me. Even when stupidity of the highest order strikes, people usually handle it pretty well. Here is to productive conversation.

Jay R
2017-12-06, 09:21 PM
{Having minor panic attack over the possibility of a good poster of the form leaving.}

Either way, I am also a fan of the forum. I am not a member of many sites but I joined this one because the conversation here impressed me. Even when stupidity of the highest order strikes, people usually handle it pretty well. Here is to productive conversation.

Calm down; I'm not leaving. This was my 10,000th post, so I wanted to say something worth saying.

Cluedrew
2017-12-06, 09:48 PM
Great, I just couldn't decide if the note of finality in the post was my imagination or not. Glad it was.

Also, 10,000? I guess ultimately that is just a number. But man is that in impressive number.

JNAProductions
2017-12-06, 10:15 PM
And this is my 19,076th post!

Titans UNITE! :P

But yee, I can see how you got confused, Cluedrew.

Jay R
2017-12-06, 10:19 PM
And this is my 19,076th post!

Titans UNITE! :P

Cool! You have a little time to come up with something really great for your 20,000th one.

Lord Torath
2017-12-07, 08:44 AM
And thanks to the Mods for helping us stay civil!

Calthropstu
2017-12-07, 06:25 PM
And thanks to the Mods for helping us stay civil!

Hear hear. They may be a bit overbearing, but I have been to unmoderated forums before and holy crap is it bad.
And this is easily one of the better forums I have been to.

2D8HP
2017-12-08, 11:59 AM
Calm down; I'm not leaving. This was my 10,000th post, so I wanted to say something worth saying..
*wheh*

And I thank you for your posts!

Seriously, you've written some gems.

I also note that while not an Astronaut/Cowboy/Buckaroo Banzai, you're pretty much who I hoped to be when I grew up.

LONG MAY YOU POST!

kyoryu
2017-12-08, 02:10 PM
You're awesome, Jay. One of the shining stars of the board.

Velaryon
2017-12-08, 04:56 PM
This forum is definitely far, far friendlier than most others that I post on or have posted on in the past. I know the mods have a lot to do with that, but much credit also belongs to the community and users as well.

Psyren
2017-12-09, 11:59 AM
*refuses to look at own post count*

I think it got a lot better out here once all the subsystem rooms got created a few years back. Particularly when the newer editions (4e and 5e) got their own rooms to defang all the edition wars.

But what I like most about this room is that I constantly hear about obscure roleplaying systems I'd have never known existed. I'll probably never get to even try out the vast majority of them, but knowing they exist and the kinds of problems people suggest them to solve is valuable knowledge regardless.

Mordaedil
2017-12-12, 02:44 AM
I usually post on Something Awful, and while their forums are generally alright, their tabletop gaming forum is incredibly hostile to 3rd edition, making it difficult to post there.

So it's nice having somewhere to discuss these things in relative agreement that not everything is the best, but we make do and try to adopt the spirit of the game as best we can.

So yeah, thanks for that everyone.