PDA

View Full Version : Optimization highest attacks per turn

Amdy_vill
2017-12-06, 04:52 PM
so i was wondering how in a normal game you could build a character with the most attacks per turn possible. by normal game i mean these builds should rely on class features, race traits, and spells the character can cast. Official material only. no AU

Lombra
2017-12-06, 05:12 PM
Dunno, official material only: six with a twf [or crossbow expert (probably better because of sharpshooter), or polearm master, which could add one more attack through reaction because an enemy entered your reach this round, but you are talking about turns, so whatever] hasted eldritch knight at level 20 (+4 from action surge = 10)? Someone's gonna come up with some crazy unlimited reaction attacks for sure.

Damn. 10 attacks in one turn. With sharpshooter. Level 20 is crazy. And that's without accounting for the likely other buffs that could come from the party [swift quiver, foresight, greater invisibility(don't add an attack but are damn useful)]

An ancient red dragon has ~550 HPs, one fighter could annihilate one fifth of its health in one turn only.

Vaz
2017-12-06, 05:35 PM
Pay for True Polymorph into a Marilith at 16, advance to Fighter 4. Action Surge = 14 attacks in one turn. Haste gives you 15. Get a 16th with Battlemaster Riposte.

Theoretically, Volley gives you more, aginst a group of bunched enemies, but the likelihold of that taking place is minor.

rbstr
2017-12-06, 05:46 PM
Hasted Samurai with PAM or two weapons and at least one attack with advantage

4 from attack action, 1 bonus, one haste, 1 from rapid strike, 4 more on action surge:11 without counting your reaction.

edit: woops, miscounted

Lombra
2017-12-06, 05:48 PM
Hasted Samurai with PAM or two weapons and at least one attack with advantage

4 from attack action, 1 bonus, one haste, 1 from rapid strike, 4 more on action surge:10 without counting your reaction.

Eleven, actually.

rbstr
2017-12-06, 05:53 PM
Yes, 11...

ShadowSandbag
2017-12-06, 05:57 PM
Don't have my book on me, but I'm pretty sure that the Way of The Drunken Fist capstone lets you do something like 5 attacks with your flurry of blows. If you were Monk 18/Fighter 2 you could get
2 Attacks from attack action
5 attacks from flurry of blows for 1 ki
2 Attacks from action surge
1 attack from haste.
Plus something from two weapon fighting?

Gignere
2017-12-06, 08:17 PM
Upcast animate objects can get you some serious number of attacks add Eldritch blast at a high level and you can be doing 20 attacks.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-12-06, 09:15 PM
Hasted Samurai 15/Monk 2/Gloomstalker 3

3 from Fighter
1 From rapid Striker
2 from Flurry of Blows
1 From Haste
1 From Gloomstalker
and 4 (fighter plus gloomstalker) from action surge

So 12.

Lombra
2017-12-07, 03:10 AM
Hasted Samurai 15/Monk 2/Gloomstalker 3

3 from Fighter
1 From rapid Striker
2 from Flurry of Blows
1 From Haste
1 From Gloomstalker
and 4 (fighter plus gloomstalker) from action surge

So 12.

Thirteen. You take the attack action with haste, triggering the extra attack from gloom stalker.

Foxhound438
2017-12-07, 04:39 AM
warlock/fighter/sorcerer gets 12 attacks with quicken and action surge on eldritch blasts. Haste puts you up to 13 with an added bow attack.

Rerem115
2017-12-08, 11:15 PM
Same as the build for the faster-than-light, pigeon-powered snake-demon-paladin; you turn into a Marilith and fight an arbitrarily large number of enemies, chasing one group into the next.

Vaz
2017-12-09, 03:36 AM
Same as the build for the faster-than-light, pigeon-powered snake-demon-paladin; you turn into a Marilith and fight an arbitrarily large number of enemies, chasing one group into the next.

Except you only have one reaction when it's not your turn. It's per turn, not round.

The Shadowdove
2017-12-09, 07:07 AM
Doesn't tortle have a racial that allows a reaction attack?

If so, a monk fighter gloomstalker tortle with haste might be a contender.

Jack Bitters
2017-12-09, 09:02 AM
If we're just looking at attacks per turn, then a hunter ranger 11/fighter 2 with PAM can make up to 19 attacks - 8x2 from whirlwind (w/action surge), 1 from horde breaker, 1 bonus, 1 haste.

If you want to cheese it with the build even more, take 6 levels of sorcerer and quicken a level 6 scorching ray (7 rays) for 25 total attacks. Bump fighter up to 3, grab the riposte maneuver and deliberately provoke an attack of opportunity. If it misses, you get another attack. 26.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-12-09, 01:50 PM
Thirteen. You take the attack action with haste, triggering the extra attack from gloom stalker.

thought haste says only one attack, which means no gloomstalker bonus for that attack action

Vaz
2017-12-09, 01:56 PM
It's not the attack action. It is an action which allows you to take an Attack. So if it keys off Attack Action, then no.

If we're just looking at attacks per turn, then a hunter ranger 11/fighter 2 with PAM can make up to 19 attacks - 8x2 from whirlwind (w/action surge), 1 from horde breaker, 1 bonus, 1 haste.

If you want to cheese it with the build even more, take 6 levels of sorcerer and quicken a level 6 scorching ray (7 rays) for 25 total attacks. Bump fighter up to 3, grab the riposte maneuver and deliberately provoke an attack of opportunity. If it misses, you get another attack. 26.

Currently the highest, except for the fact that it cannot do more attacks against one target. The scorching rays are made with disadvantage also. The Risposte idea is good though, the Marilith now has 16 attacks if they are Hasted, which can all be used against the same target. 17 if it has a Scimitar of Speed (Provided the multiattack allows Scimitar, or you can have a Longsword of Speed)

JNAProductions
2017-12-09, 02:13 PM
Except you only have one reaction when it's not your turn. It's per turn, not round.

Marilith gets around that.

Vaz
2017-12-09, 02:23 PM
Marilith gets around that.

No, it doesn't.

Reactive: The marilith can take one reaction on every turn in Combat.
Marilith Cultist gives you 2 Reactions. Marilith changes you from 1/round to 1/turn. Highest attacks per turn. Not per round.

Also, non replicable during actual combat conditions so largely irrelevant, such as the Whirwind Ranger above.

JNAProductions
2017-12-09, 02:31 PM
No, it doesn't.

Marilith Cultist gives you 2 Reactions. Marilith changes you from 1/round to 1/turn. Highest attacks per turn. Not per round.

Also, non replicable during actual combat conditions so largely irrelevant, such as the Whirwind Ranger above.

Ah, fair enough. OP, did you mean turn or round? Because the Marilith FTL scheme gets you an arbitrarily large amount in a round, but not a turn.

Lombra
2017-12-09, 03:29 PM
thought haste says only one attack, which means no gloomstalker bonus for that attack action

You may be right, but at this point I find it quite unclear.

Lombra
2017-12-09, 03:33 PM
If we allow spells then something like a 17th level sorcerer/ fighter 2/warlock 1 could get 11+10 darts of magic missile + 4 rays of quickened eldritch blast for a total of 25 +1 weapon attack if he's hasted.

And if he's a tiefling he could get hit by an opportunity attack for an hellish rebuke? Not technically an attack but still...

Jack Bitters
2017-12-09, 04:20 PM
So in most circles magic missile doesn't count as an 'attack' because it doesn't make an attack roll. But if we're just going for discrete instances of damage, then as you suggest, hellish rebuke would be a good move as well.

rbstr
2017-12-09, 04:28 PM
You may be right, but at this point I find it quite unclear.

"(one weapon attack only)" seems pretty clear to me?

Lombra
2017-12-09, 05:23 PM
"(one weapon attack only)" seems pretty clear to me?

Yes it is, I was worrying too much about nothing