PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite / most consistent way to gain Advantage?

nirurin
2017-12-06, 09:14 PM
Building a Swords Bard at the moment, and was looking at the spell options, and wondering which ones would give me a good combination of crowd control and advantage for my (limited) follow up attacks.

Darkness + Devils Sight is by far the best combo that I can think of, and is the one that everyone knows about, but it would require 2 levels of Warlock to get and it'd be nice if there was other ways :p

Familiar + Help Action would get 1 Attack per turn of advantage, but if you use it regularly you're likely to get your familiar killed by the DM.

krugaan
2017-12-06, 09:18 PM
Building a Swords Bard at the moment, and was looking at the spell options, and wondering which ones would give me a good combination of crowd control and advantage for my (limited) follow up attacks.

Darkness + Devils Sight is by far the best combo that I can think of, and is the one that everyone knows about, but it would require 2 levels of Warlock to get and it'd be nice if there was other ways :p

Familiar + Help Action would get 1 Attack per turn of advantage, but if you use it regularly you're likely to get your familiar killed by the DM.

There's nothing really like it. Darkness + Devil's sigh is your best bet, which is convenient since you can go hexblade for CHA melee. Being a full spell level behind really hurts though.

nirurin
2017-12-06, 09:23 PM
There's nothing really like it. Darkness + Devil's sigh is your best bet, which is convenient since you can go hexblade for CHA melee. Being a full spell level behind really hurts though.

Yeh, also means 2 levels behind for short-rest inspiration dice, and 2 levels behind for Extra Attack. Patience isn't really my strong point :P

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-12-06, 09:32 PM
Maybe I'm missing it but doesn't Tasha's Hideous Laughter leave an enemy in a state in which everyone has advantage in melee attacks on them?

Rysto
2017-12-06, 09:33 PM
Faerie Fire is on the Bard list. It's not guaranteed advantaged but if it sticks it lasts until the spell ends. It is concentration though, so it can end early if you take a hit.

nirurin
2017-12-06, 09:39 PM
Maybe I'm missing it but doesn't Tasha's Hideous Laughter leave an enemy in a state in which everyone has advantage in melee attacks on them?

It falls Prone, so yeh I think melee attacks gain advantage. But it fails on a Wisdom saving throw, and it gets a new saving throw at the end of each of it's turns, and "every time it takes damage". So if you have 3 attacks, it gets 3 attempts to get up.

It's a good spell, but it's better as a "put the monster on the floor laughing while everyone buffs / heals / runs away".

coyote_sly
2017-12-06, 09:41 PM
Reckless attack all day erry day.

krugaan
2017-12-06, 09:42 PM
It falls Prone, so yeh I think melee attacks gain advantage. But it fails on a Wisdom saving throw, and it gets a new saving throw at the end of each of it's turns, and "every time it takes damage". So if you have 3 attacks, it gets 3 attempts to get up.

It's a good spell, but it's better as a "put the monster on the floor laughing while everyone buffs / heals / runs away".

Well, three attempts to break, isn't it? It still has to get up on its own turn.

That being said, crowd control and advantage all in one spell is pretty much impossible without something like upcasted hold person.

Mikal
2017-12-06, 09:46 PM
Mine is the darkness devils sight but then I like to play a warlock. Now I upgrade to shadow of moil (aka better greater invisibility) with 4th level slots.

Get find familiar from magic initiate and have it use the help action? Only works for a single attack but hey.

Bonus- use it to deliver touch spells!

Bonus 2- extra scouting!

MrBig
2017-12-06, 10:14 PM

Owl familiar can fly away without provoking attacks of opportunity.

prototype00
2017-12-06, 10:16 PM
Owl familiar can fly away without provoking attacks of opportunity.

I’ve seen DMs just use AOE attacks to get rid of pets.

nirurin
2017-12-06, 11:17 PM
I’ve seen DMs just use AOE attacks to get rid of pets.

Yeh, DMs can be ***** to pets.

Well, three attempts to break, isn't it? It still has to get up on its own turn.

That being said, crowd control and advantage all in one spell is pretty much impossible without something like upcasted hold person.

It just says "on a success, the spell ends". Doesn't actually specify if it remains prone until it's next turn. Might work.