PDA

View Full Version : vHuman Glaivelock Hexblade vs Half-Elf Glaivelock Hexblade

prototype00
2017-12-06, 10:08 PM
So as some of you might recall I was planning to re-create my vHuman Glaivelock as a Half Elf Glaivelock at lvl 4 in AL to take advantage of Elven Accuracy.

But goodness, just looking at the vHuman Glaivelock, it is hard to make the choice. You get access to PAM and GWM a full 8 levels prior to the Half Elf!! That’s basically in three or four more sessions for me!

And granted, no Elven Accuracy super Trivantage, but you still have basically permanent Advantage with your Pact Glaive and darkness.

So tell me true, which would you take if you had to start at 1st level in AL?

Edit: Oh and what is the over/under of regular Advantage vs Trivantage for GWM?

Finney
2017-12-06, 11:11 PM
So as some of you might recall I was planning to re-create my vHuman Glaivelock as a Half Elf Glaivelock at lvl 4 in AL to take advantage of Elven Accuracy.

But goodness, just looking at the vHuman Glaivelock, it is hard to make the choice. You get access to PAM and GWM a full 8 levels prior to the Half Elf!! That’s basically in three or four more sessions for me!

And granted, no Elven Accuracy super Trivantage, but you still have basically permanent Advantage with your Pact Glaive and darkness.

So tell me true, which would you take if you had to start at 1st level in AL?

Edit: Oh and what is the over/under of regular Advantage vs Trivantage for GWM?

Bones did a comparison of melee (PAM + GWM) damage between regular advantage vs triple advantage in another thread, so credit goes to him for this chart:

https://i.imgur.com/AomGszL.jpg

Finney
2017-12-06, 11:19 PM
If I had to start at level 1, I would probably go with variant human because you won't notice an appreciable difference in damage between regular advantage and triple advantage until you get to the third and fourth tiers of play.

As you already pointed out the variant human build comes online much sooner than the half-elf version, so I suppose it just depends on your patience threshold.

prototype00
2017-12-07, 12:02 AM
If I had to start at level 1, I would probably go with variant human because you won't notice an appreciable difference in damage between regular advantage and triple advantage until you get to the third and fourth tiers of play.

As you already pointed out the variant human build comes online much sooner than the half-elf version, so I suppose it just depends on your patience threshold.

Ah, thanks for that! So indeed until much higher levels the Advantage (ha ha!) is on the side of the vHuman it seems...

nirurin
2017-12-07, 12:10 AM
Is there another way for the vHuman to close the gap, using their extra feat in some other way?

I guess it would have to be a Feat, as spending an ASI on actual stat points would be a waste of a racial, as vHuman only gets 2 stats to start with vs Half-Elf's 4. I assume the point of vHuman is to have inferior stats (16s and 18s at best) and to go with feats to shore up the abilities.

Though you also have the option to front-load your feats, and then get your stats up to 20 with the final ones at level 19/16

prototype00
2017-12-07, 03:54 AM
The Half Elf will probably always hit more accurately (18 Cha at 4th level and Elven Accuracy) but the human will hit Harder for the most part (PAM + GWM) for Tier 1 and most of 2.

Both will probably end up with 20 Cha, PAM, GWM and Sentinel by lvl 16.