PDA

View Full Version : In-combat use of suggestion spell againt the PCs.

Oerlaf
2017-12-07, 04:42 AM
I am going to run an event at a convention, where I will be very limited in time and where the NPC casters are present.

I found in the old articles an example of in-combat suggestion: "I suggest that an illusionist has switched the appearance of your friends and foes. Work with us and destroy your real foes" - the suggestion sounds reasonable, but of course it's not.

So, where can I find some examples or some compilation of suggestion spell that I can use against the characters?

JohanOfKitten
2017-12-07, 05:20 AM
IMO, good suggestions in-combat are poor strategic decisions that can sound well in quick overview.
They won't be terrible advices, but advices that don't help 90% of times.

- You should concentrate your attacks on the guy with big armor, he looks like the chief and the most dangerous. >Totally reasonable, but will force the target to use his attacks against a high CA.
- Are you sure that backups aren't on their way ? You should check to be warn your group. >Reasonable, might make lose some actions to lock the door/ watch the next corridor, use the search action to try to find invisible or hide enemies...
- Your friend paladin is doing fine with the troll, you should focus on me, the wizard, instead. > In the case of a melee warrior, that would need to disengage the troll to reach you, or might have difficulties to reach you because of the environement.
- In opposite, Your friend paladin just take a serious blow from the troll, you should assist him to put down quickly one enemy. > Avoid the focus on the wizard and regroup the players in one place (good for AoE spells).
- Your friends are weakened, you should retreat/surrender. > It doesn't need much to be reasonable. I've seen a lot of fights were the heroes had 1 or 2 persons down, bleeding, in a bad situation at some point in the fight, but prevailed in fight and win the encounter. But at some point, the retreat/surrender was a serious possibility. Your wizard can use that to ensure a fight when the last round was in his favor.
- In opposite, You've won, but I'm not worth the effort of chase. You should patch your injuried guys instead of running after someone unimportant. > It might be reasonable or not, depending of the encounter and how the player consider the caster. But it's a good way to save oneself when the caster is the last (or one of the last) enemy alive.

+ fun moves that won't be effective due to some information the players don't have.
- You should grab your enemy and push him in the pit near you. > the enemy being good in Athletic. Or if the enemy is some kind of monk that don't fear fall damages. Or if the pit was an illusion cast earlier for field control. It will waist one or more actions of the PC to try and push the enemy, for nearly no results.
- You should try to cast some fire spell to this monster. > the monster having a fire resistance or immunity, not known by the characters.
- You should turn undead against this uber-zombie. > The uber-zombie being a golem, turn undead will be a waist.
- Isn't it strange that the fighter in plate is having a big jewel around his neck ? It could be a magic item. > Push the character to try to grab the fighter to take his necklace in fight. Of course, it's a common necklace and thoses actions won't help in the fight.
- You're a group of elves and dwarves while my group is full of humans. You should extinct the torch to fight at advantage in darkness. > Of course, the "humans" are several disguised tiefflins and some warlocks with devil's sight.