PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5e new DM making Dragonfire Adapt work with Eldritch Disciple

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-12-07, 12:08 PM
Hello guys :)

One of my players is playing Dragonfire Adapt and took some levels in Cleric in order to start taking levels in Eldritch Disciple.

My problem is that a lot of the Class Features are made for warlock and I want to change them to work with Dragonfire Adapt without making it destroy the party power level.

The party is:
Half-Minotaur Fighter 3/ Barbarian 2(A regular Charger(not uber))
Draconic Elan Erudit 5(Blasting and little BFC)
Draconic Tabbit Dragonfire Adept 3, cleric 1, Eldritch Disciple 1(DMM and Heighten spell)(BFC and buffs)

I will put the party at mid to low-mid optimization.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-12-09, 10:11 AM
I am making it jump because I still have problems with knowing how to make Dragonfire Adapt work with Eldritch Disciple.

Will making all the EB stuff work with the Breath weapon will be fine, to strong or to weak?

Mike Miller
2017-12-09, 10:41 AM
Are you saying you want to make the Eldritch shape and Eldritch essences function when using the DFA breath weapon?
Also, he shouldn't be able to take Eldritch Disciple at 5th level. 6th level should be when he can enter it. Also, he doesn't come close to meeting the prerequisites with that build, unless you altered the necessary prereqs.

And why is he taking divine metamagic when he only has heighten spell?

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-12-14, 10:49 AM
Are you saying you want to make the Eldritch shape and Eldritch essences function when using the DFA breath weapon?
Also, he shouldn't be able to take Eldritch Disciple at 5th level. 6th level should be when he can enter it. Also, he doesn't come close to meeting the prerequisites with that build, unless you altered the necessary prereqs.

And why is he taking divine metamagic when he only has heighten spell?

he take DMM on Heighten spell because that way he can cast level 2 divine spells.

I think I didn't see the level 8 skill he need but I may houserule that the requirements need to be met at level 1 of the PRC.

I am saying I want to make Gift of the Divine Patron work with DFA Breath Weapon.
I also want to make Eldritch Spellweave work with the different DFA breath weapons effects.

I don't know if it is to strong or not.

weckar
2017-12-14, 11:02 AM
This would be frankly easier with Elldritch Theurge. The abilities just translate better.

The main issue in translation is that the dfa's breath weapon is ALWAYS an area. The effects given NEVER work with areas.
Therefore, allowing them to work with areas will make them more powerful.

You would probably be better off making a new theurgic class from the ground up.

Mike Miller
2017-12-14, 11:04 AM
he take DMM on Heighten spell because that way he can cast level 2 divine spells.

I think I didn't see the level 8 skill he need but I may houserule that the requirements need to be met at level 1 of the PRC.

I am saying I want to make Gift of the Divine Patron work with DFA Breath Weapon.
I also want to make Eldritch Spellweave work with the different DFA breath weapons effects.

I don't know if it is to strong or not.

Well, I am not familiar with those abilities so I will have to read up on them, but you need to reread Heighten Spell. That feat does not allow you to cast higher level spells. It makes the effective level of the heightened spell equal to whatever higher slot you want it in. Therefore, Heighten Spell is not going to let the cleric cast second level spells.

weckar
2017-12-14, 11:07 AM
I think the entry requirements should probably be 2nd level divine spells and 1 die of breath weapon, to make it equivalent to the existing one. So, swap all but 1 DFA level for cleric.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-12-14, 01:18 PM
This would be frankly easier with Elldritch Theurge. The abilities just translate better.

The main issue in translation is that the dfa's breath weapon is ALWAYS an area. The effects given NEVER work with areas.
Therefore, allowing them to work with areas will make them more powerful.

You would probably be better off making a new theurgic class from the ground up.
But the Eldritch Disciple is very good for this player and it is simpler to change 2 abilities then to make a new class.

Well, I am not familiar with those abilities so I will have to read up on them, but you need to reread Heighten Spell. That feat does not allow you to cast higher level spells. It makes the effective level of the heightened spell equal to whatever higher slot you want it in. Therefore, Heighten Spell is not going to let the cleric cast second level spells.

Heighten Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to a maximum of 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level.

From the SRD

It look like it make the spell level higher.

Mike Miller
2017-12-14, 05:12 PM
From the SRD

It look like it make the spell level higher.

You bolded the wrong part. Just past it, inside your quoted section, Heighten spell actually increases the effective level of the spell it modifies

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-12-15, 04:42 AM
You bolded the wrong part. Just past it, inside your quoted section, Heighten spell actually increases the effective level of the spell it modifies

I don't see how it make what I bolded wrong, it look like they add information, not removing the meaning of what came before.

Anyway, if I am wrong I will just houserule it because this is how we play for a long time and it's work good for my group.

I only want to get some help with the PRC changes :'(
This is the only thing that hurt the fun of my group for now and I want to fix it.