PDA

View Full Version : See Invisibility

Arvin Natsuko
2017-12-07, 12:22 PM
The caster know the creature or object he can see due to the spell is invisible?

In the ethereal case, the spell states that creatures and objects appear ghostly and translucent, but says nothing about the invisible ones.

What do you people think?

LeonBH
2017-12-07, 12:26 PM
I'd say the caster doesn't know they're invisible. The spell just says they can see invisible things. It opens up puzzles for the players where the caster with See Invisibility and the friend without it need to team up.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-07, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I don't see why the caster should know which things they are seeing are invisible to others. It says in the text of the spell "as if they were visible".

The easy way around this is to cast detect magic at the same time - that'll show an aura of illusion around anything that is invisible.

tieren
2017-12-07, 01:28 PM
It seems unnecessarily punitive to me for someone who used a spell slot to gain the ability to see invisible things to then not know when he sees an invisible thing/creature.

Eradis
2017-12-07, 03:33 PM
It seems unnecessarily punitive to me for someone who used a spell slot to gain the ability to see invisible things to then not know when he sees an invisible thing/creature.

It's a good situational spell. If you are fighting enemies that you don't see, then it's a good time to use that spell slot to spot them. Otherwise, behavior of invisible creatures might give them away. How would you act in the presence of an enemy that you think can't possibly see you? You might try to prevent making noise above all else, getting close to your foe even coming from the front, etc.

Arvin Natsuko
2017-12-08, 12:00 AM
I think I agree with Leon and Ninja.

And this can indeed create interesting situations.

Thank you all for your replies.

Dalebert
2017-12-08, 12:38 AM
Ask your bat familiar. It knows.

"I can sense a creature with my sonar that I don't see with my eyes."

And btw, "blind as a bat" is a very misleading phrase. Bat eyesight is fine.