PDA

View Full Version : Elgato HD60 S Capture Card, part 2

Lheticus
2017-12-07, 12:23 PM
So, I'd been having no end of problems trying to get my capture card set up. I've almost solved them, but the Game Capture HD software says it needs to be connected to a USB 3.0 port to work. It would appear that all the ports on my PC are USB 2.0...so how can I change this situation? Like, add a 3.0 port or adapt one of the 2.0 ports to 3.0, somehow.

Mando Knight
2017-12-07, 03:15 PM
You can add USB 3 ports to your computer, but you'll need an open PCI-e slot on your motherboard. If you don't have either PCI-e slots nor native USB 3 support on the motherboard, then you'll need a much more expensive upgrade to the whole computer.

Lheticus
2017-12-07, 07:21 PM
Okay so...this situation has gotten at least five times weirder, and now I'm not sure this forum can help me and I'll have to call Elgato tech support tomorrow. Apparently I DO have USB 3.0 but the card THINKS I don't, or something? The screenshot linked is from the relevant portion of my Device Manager...

Wtf? (https://gyazo.com/921d4e45df9010841e4a6e9c06610dfa)

Jimorian
2017-12-10, 02:02 AM
Which USB port are you plugging it into?

gomipile
2017-12-10, 11:36 AM
Okay so...this situation has gotten at least five times weirder, and now I'm not sure this forum can help me and I'll have to call Elgato tech support tomorrow. Apparently I DO have USB 3.0 but the card THINKS I don't, or something? The screenshot linked is from the relevant portion of my Device Manager...

Wtf? (https://gyazo.com/921d4e45df9010841e4a6e9c06610dfa)

Do you know what a USB 3.0 port looks like? Many computers have a mix of 3.0 and 2.0 ports, so you may have to hunt for it.

It's also possible, but unlikely, that your motherboard has a USB 3.0 controller that isn't connected to anything. In that case, you'd need a USB 3.0 front panel or back panel with a built in 20 pin motherboard header cable to plug into the host controller on your motherboard.

Lheticus
2017-12-16, 10:50 AM
Do you know what a USB 3.0 port looks like? Many computers have a mix of 3.0 and 2.0 ports, so you may have to hunt for it.

It's also possible, but unlikely, that your motherboard has a USB 3.0 controller that isn't connected to anything. In that case, you'd need a USB 3.0 front panel or back panel with a built in 20 pin motherboard header cable to plug into the host controller on your motherboard.

As far as I'm aware, 3.0 ports don't look any different from 2.0 ports, right? At least, on a computer

gomipile
2017-12-16, 11:44 AM
As far as I'm aware, 3.0 ports don't look any different from 2.0 ports, right? At least, on a computer
That is not the case. Typically the middle insulator blocks in USB 3.0 ports are colored blue. Even when they aren't blue, the manufacturer still usually chooses a color different than the 2.0 ports.

Furthermore, the 3.0 ports have extra contacts in the deepest part that can be seen to identify them by one who is familiar with USB 3.0 ports.

The easiest non-technical way would be to get a USB 3.0 flash drive and test its read speed on the ports you care about.

Lheticus
2017-12-18, 02:03 PM
The plot has thickened once more. I contacted the manufacturer I ordered the computer from, and they said I should have nothing but 3.1 ports. But Game Capture HD is still giving me the message that it needs 3.0 to work correctly!