PDA

View Full Version : Practiced Spellcaster?

kirbsys
2007-08-20, 05:35 PM
Hey, can anyone tell me the gist of the Practiced Spellcaster feat? I'm going to go pick up CA, but I'm curious as to what exactly the feat does.

Thanks.

Jasdoif
2007-08-20, 05:39 PM
It increases your caster level in a class a bit, up to a max of your character level.

It's handy if you aren't a single-class full-caster for whatever reason, but you don't get access to the higher spell levels or spells per day, so it's not much of a substitute.

Bleen
2007-08-20, 05:40 PM
Your caster level is your character level.

Basically, if your CL is 1 in Wizard, but you have 5 Fighter levels, your CL for stuff like overcoming SR would be 6. It doesn't give you any spells beyond what your actual level in the caster class is, though.

kpenguin
2007-08-20, 05:40 PM
You choose a class in which you can cast spells and cast spells from that class with a +4 caster level bonus up to your HD. This helps out gishes, theurges, and casters with racial hit dice.

AlterForm
2007-08-20, 05:42 PM
You choose a class in which you can cast spells and cast spells from that class with a +4 caster level bonus up to your HD. This helps out gishes, theurges, and casters with racial hit dice.

I've found it's also useful for 1/2-progression casters, whose CL is equal to 1/2 their class level (rangers and paladins come to mind). :smallsmile:

kirbsys
2007-08-20, 05:42 PM
So, I could take it twice and make my Mystic Theurge/Wizard/Archivist have a CL equal to his total level when casting his spells? Cool. :smallcool:

Starbuck_II
2007-08-20, 05:43 PM
I've found it's also useful for 1/2-progression casters, whose CL is equal to 1/2 their class level (rangers and paladins come to mind). :smallsmile:

Only after level 8 of course, since 4 +4=8, but before that little benefit.

blue_fenix
2007-08-20, 05:45 PM
Your caster level is your character level.

Basically, if your CL is 1 in Wizard, but you have 5 Fighter levels, your CL for stuff like overcoming SR would be 6. It doesn't give you any spells beyond what your actual level in the caster class is, though.

True except for the most it can increase your caster level is by 4, and never to more than your HD. The intended use for it is boosting caster level when using non-full progression multi-classing or PrC's. The other use is screwing with PrC requirements and other rules that specify caster level but not spell levels. e.g. a wizard 1/fighter 4 with this feat can qualify for a prestige class that says "arcane caster level 5th." Combined with the Ultimate Magus PrC, there's a trick to give you almost full wizard casting (only leaving 2 or 3 levels out) with something like 10th level sorceror casting on top.

Saph
2007-08-20, 05:46 PM
So, I could take it twice and make my Mystic Theurge/Wizard/Archivist have a CL equal to his total level when casting his spells? Cool. :smallcool:

Yeah, it's a really nice feat for any character with limited spellcasting. Great for gishes, since it gives them a CL equal to that of a full caster. It does require a few ranks in Spellcraft, though.

- Saph