PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever try to turn 'Pelor, the Burning Hate' into a full-fledged campaign?

atemu1234
2017-12-07, 06:29 PM
I feel like we could totally turn it into a decent elder evil campaign; Pelor, or, rather, the real Pelor, is returning to the Prime Material, causing the sun to grow in power, positive energy to run amok a la Ragnorra, but the true evil is something like the overzealous paladins who have become corrupted, attempting to wipe out all evil races, take control of the lives of the 'impious', etc.?

Madara
2017-12-07, 06:58 PM
I feel like we could totally turn it into a decent elder evil campaign; Pelor, or, rather, the real Pelor, is returning to the Prime Material, causing the sun to grow in power, positive energy to run amok a la Ragnorra, but the true evil is something like the overzealous paladins who have become corrupted, attempting to wipe out all evil races, take control of the lives of the 'impious', etc.?

I run the Burning Hate. It's pretty fun. I just treat his followers like Eberron treats people: your faith is the fuel, not your god.

The campaigns haven't been high enough level to do the major Pelor-as-a-Vecna threat but the fervor of his followers can be scary when he's ruthless.

Zaq
2017-12-07, 09:24 PM
Pelor being The Burning Hate (but still claiming to be NG) is 100% canon in my group and has been for years. Which, incidentally, makes it hilarious when we're using premade adventure module material and WotC throws in a Cleric of Pelor who's intended to be a friendly and trustworthy figure but who immediately gets treated as a sort of "everything's fine here, officer! Nothing to see here! You definitely don't need to spend any more time around us!" sort of figure.

That said, there's a difference between "Pelor is totes evil, guys" in the background and "Pelor, who is totes evil, is the main source of problems in this campaign" in the foreground, which I believe is what you're describing? I'd definitely be willing to read about that. I've never run or played in an Elder Evils campaign (or one of similar scope), so I don't have a whole lot of on-the-ground experience related to what it would look like, but it sounds entertaining as hell.

Recherché
2017-12-08, 12:50 AM
I was in a campaign that had the Burning Hate as a backdrop. Namely that the people the party was with had discovered the truth and were quietly trying to run away from Pelor and set up their own society across the ocean. However it was never the focus, just an occasional complication that kept showing up whenever we had to find a way to get rid of a visiting priest or inquisitor without revealing anything. Most of the game was actually about trying to make this new colony work in a hostile landscape.