PDA

View Full Version : Zealot Barbarian: Physically IMPOSSIBLE to die?

Grear Bylls
2017-12-07, 07:22 PM
Hello all!

So, I was reading the Zealot Barbarian (not XGtE as I don't have it), and I had a question on the 14th level feature. (Please tell me if they fixed this in XGtE)

14th Level: While raging, having 0 hit points doesn't knock you unconscious. You still make death saving throws, and you suffer the normal effects of taking damage while at 0 hit points. However, if you would die due to failing death saving throws, you don't die until your rage ends.

15th Level: Your rage only ends if you fall unconscious or choose to end it.

So, if you fall unconscious, you continue raging, until you choose to end it. If you always rage, you never die until you go to negative your maximum HP. Do I have this right?

Kane0
2017-12-07, 07:23 PM
I believe there was a thread on this about a week ago. One sec.

Here we go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?543531-So-is-a-15th-level-zealot-immortal).

Talamare
2017-12-07, 09:09 PM
Still die to damage

Mikal
2017-12-07, 09:15 PM
I think the solution turned out to be "drop them to less than 5 hp, cast sleep."

I mean it doesn't have to be 5 hp but that does guarantee even a 1st level sleep cast that bolos all the dice will affect them.

Also your rage still ends after a minute. It just can't end early unless you choose for it to do so

Mith
2017-12-07, 10:05 PM
There are also instant death effects. Enough shadows should do the trick (unless the saving throw is a less than 14 CON save).

Grear Bylls
2017-12-07, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the help!

Damage and stuff will EVENTUALLY get him, but it takes forever. Instadeath and sleep or things I didn't think of. Thanks for pointing it out!

And thanks for the link Kane0!

Varlon
2017-12-07, 10:43 PM
15th Level: Your rage only ends early if you fall unconscious or choose to end it.

Rage lasts one minute.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-07, 10:59 PM
Considering it only gets crazy at level 15, hit him really hard then force cage him. Mock him for the next few rounds til he is dead.

suplee215
2017-12-07, 11:35 PM
the 15th level ability does not increase the time limit, it simply takes away the clause where you must take or deal damage each turn. you die after a minute

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-08, 12:22 AM
the 15th level ability does not increase the time limit, it simply takes away the clause where you must take or deal damage each turn. you die after a minute

If they aren't on the receiving end of a heal before then.

In the other thread, I suggested taking out the healers. The Zealot might be a pain to take out, but the supporting group isn't. At least, no more than the usual band of Adventurers.

Talamare
2017-12-08, 02:36 AM
If they aren't on the receiving end of a heal before then.

In the other thread, I suggested taking out the healers. The Zealot might be a pain to take out, but the supporting group isn't. At least, no more than the usual band of Adventurers.

I mean

If he fails all 3 death saves. Heals no longer work

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-08, 03:34 AM
I mean

Revivify still does. And it won't cost the 300gp diamond to use on this guy either, because of their 3rd level ribbon.

Lombra
2017-12-08, 06:21 AM
I mean

It does, because (in the XGtE version) you only die if you finish raging without any HPs left, so if you manage to drink a potion before ending the rage, even at 3 death saves fails, you stay on your feet, ready to rage again. Woks wonders with the built-in healing of aasimars.

Talamare
2017-12-08, 06:24 AM
Revivify still does. And it won't cost the 300gp diamond to use on this guy either, because of their 3rd level ribbon.

Right, but... I mean...
Revivify isn't a Heal, it's literally a Revive... ify
It only happens after someone has 100% died

It does, because (in the XGtE version) you only die if you finish raging without any HPs left, so if you manage to drink a potion before ending the rage, even at 3 death saves fails, you stay on your feet, ready to rage again. Woks wonders with the built-in healing of aasimars.

Okay, yea... I didn't read the Xanathars
I guess Heals do still work

I swear the designers have a major hardon for Barbarians

Lombra
2017-12-08, 06:31 AM
Right, but... I mean...

I can't blame them, love the class :biggrin:

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-08, 07:24 AM

Sonuva.. I hadn't even thought about the Aasimar innate healing!
But, that's once per long rest, isn't it? Not like a Paladin's Lay on Hands where they can use 1hp at a time to really cheese the system?

Mental note: dip 1 or 2 levels of Paladin at some point..

Lombra
2017-12-08, 07:29 AM
Sonuva.. I hadn't even thought about the Aasimar innate healing!
But, that's once per long rest, isn't it? Not like a Paladin's Lay on Hands where they can use 1hp at a time to really cheese the system?

Mental note: dip 1 or 2 levels of Paladin at some point..

Yeah aasimar is 1/LR. Lay on hands is indeed pretty sweet.

Mikal
2017-12-08, 08:39 AM
Right, but... I mean...

Not really. This doesn't kick in until 15th level. That's what 15th level effects should be doing.

Specter
2017-12-08, 08:56 AM
Let's not forget Disintegrate and Power Word Kill, either.

But really, the easiest thing to do if you find yourself against one of those is to stall them hard. Any of these will work:

- Wall of Stone
- Wall of Force
- Forcecage
- Hold Person
- Hypnotic Pattern
- Mental Prison

Zalabim
2017-12-08, 08:58 AM
I sense... an opportunity to pimp the Healer feat again. You can certainly use the once per rest heal on yourself here. If you still count as dying, then using a kit to stabilize yourself (and gain 1 HP because of the feat) works too.

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-08, 09:33 AM
I sense... an opportunity to pimp the Healer feat again. You can certainly use the once per rest heal on yourself here. If you still count as dying, then using a kit to stabilize yourself (and gain 1 HP because of the feat) works too.

Heh. "I'm pretty messed up. I guess I'll slap on a bandaid or something."
Either that, or Rage-Healing.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-08, 09:40 AM
Any sort of hard control will basically kill them at that point. Sleep, Stunned, etc.