PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Soul consuming great sword

abyssalslug
2017-12-07, 07:58 PM
Ok, I had this great idea for a legendary weapon.
1d12 slashing damage+4d4 necrotic damage. reach 5ft
This weapon has 3 charges. When you land a hit on a target with this sword, make the hit a nat 20 and remove a charge. When you take a short rest, restore all charges and the wielder takes 2d10 for every charge used. The weilder will wake up after 5 minutes of a short rest after the effect has triggered.

It would be fun to give this to someone and not tell them what it

Lalliman
2017-12-08, 05:41 AM
What's with the waking up part? You don't usually sleep during a short rest. Is this just assuming that the damage knocks you out?

noob
2017-12-08, 05:58 AM
I guess he will just do a long rest then a short rest.(the long rest for hp and the short rest for the charges) then a bunch of additional short rests.

Mith
2017-12-08, 10:38 AM
Ok, I had this great idea for a legendary weapon.
1d12 slashing damage+4d4 necrotic damage. reach 5ft
This weapon has 3 charges. When you land a hit on a target with this sword, make the hit a nat 20 and remove a charge. When you take a short rest, restore all charges and the wielder takes 2d10 for every charge used. The weilder will wake up after 5 minutes of a short rest after the effect has triggered.

It would be fun to give this to someone and not tell them what it

So does the damage just knock you out even if you have enough HP to take the hit? Does Bear totem Barbarian resist the damage done? On the subject of Barbarians in general, I assume that Brutal critical only applies to the 1d12? Making a 20th level critical 5d12 + 8d4 + 13 damage at maximum Strength if I recall correctly (average 65.5 damage).

Also, after 6th level, a Fighter could break even on average with the damage exchange, and the Barbarian would have better odds if they spend Hit Dice to heal during the same short rest.

Nifft
2017-12-09, 12:13 PM
As an alternative to inflicting damage, you could have it consume HD, causing them to become unavailable until a Long Rest is completed.