PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Capitalism, ho! Roleplaying a magic item crafter?

theonesin
2017-12-07, 09:24 PM
So for a currently-running Pathfinder game, I'm trading out my previous character(combination of RP and mechanical reasons make me disinterested in playing it anymore) for something I haven't played before: a magic item crafter. But I'm looking for advice on how to roleplay one.

Mechanically, he's a Suqor(bird race from Akashic Mysteries) spellcaster, which from their fluff are described as "nomadic, difficult to befriend, and fierce when offended". So far as him joining the group, he's sort of a hired merc to help guide the rest of the previous party to their next destination(or are kinda on the run for some bad business in the main city and trying to lay low/sent out on punishment).

I have a rough idea that the character was a roaming magic item consultant of sorts and/or someone who joined other adventurers in an attempt to better see what items adventurers actually need, and then took a liking to adventuring it itself. Personality is the hardest part for me to figure out though, and I'm seeing him as a sort of "capitalist wizard", frequently looking to make deals for profit(though less about scamming or undermining people. Just putting out mostly honest offers). I'm just kinda of unsure how to shape the character's personality from there.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated(and sorry for any rambling/unnecessarily mechanical clutter).

Skelechicken
2017-12-07, 09:58 PM
I imagine they'd have a lot of stories. If he's traveled with many groups in the past and did so specifically to see what sorts of items were useful, I'd expect him to drop the occasional, "y'know those vines up ahead remind me of the time I was travelling with Reginold the 4th. It's never a bad idea to have some extra fire scrolls on hand... rest his soul."

If you are playing honest business man genuine offence at the suggestion that his offers are useless would be expected as well. He wouldn't necessarily be quick to befriend the party on a personal level, but he'd be trying to keep on mostly friendly terms. Standoffish or not, it's important to be approachable when conducting business.

Motivations are probably centered around interesting areas, or areas that remind him of places where he'd acquired previous inventory. And if he's a crafter of magic goods I expect he'd want to get his hands on magic items as the party finds them, not necessarily to use, but to dissect and understand. He'd want to get inspiration for his own craftsmanship.

If he's being hired as a guide, I expect he'd be willing to play tour guide to the best of his ability too. If he's competitive he can frequently point out rival shops and casually drop anecdotes about people they ripped off.

These are behaviors I would personally put into the character, and I would sort of try to develop more solid personality quirks from these. Often what a character does informs who a character is, at least for me.

Vogie
2017-12-08, 10:35 AM
There's a couple ways that you can go, personality-wise.

Bleeding-heart - The PC wants to spread the power of magic to the less fortunate. They'll focus on making utility-oriented magic items, things that non-adventurers can also use, so that they have the largest possible market in which to sell. A "rising-tide-lifts-all-boats" approach. Very grounded, consciously, cautiously optimistic, and world-weary.
Change Agent - The PC sees the ability to use magic item availability to alter how society works, using economics instead of politics or military. Basically, the Elon Musk of magic items - while Tesla or Solar City may not survive as companies, the impact of those companies existing have changed the perception and manufacture of vehicles and power collection. Very optimistic, very driven, a little crazy.
Power Broker - The PC sees the access to magic items as a means of control. They could be using magic item sales to fund other things, or making sure the group the PC backs has the magic items needed to beat their opposition. May be connected to the mob. Very Calculated, possibly secretive, likely gives a dour impression.
True Believer - The PC just loves magic, loves magic items and wants to share that love. Could be shown as a "motivational speaker" vibe, selling magic items that help the individual, or a Mr. Magorium/Willy Wonka/George Weasley-style eccentric genius.

Mastikator
2017-12-08, 01:39 PM
A pure capitalist would be motivated primarily by profit. This sounds more like an artisan, someone who creates works of art and wonder. For a price. He should be passionate about his art, the fact that it's expensive is evidence that it's good. The profit is a means to an end rather than an end onto itself.

Basically he should be a little bit full of himself when it comes to magic items, but in an entirely justified way.

Concrete
2017-12-14, 03:23 PM
Failure is always fun. What are the magic items he designed that never really took off?

("One of these days, the Hat of Rain Negation will be on the head of every adventurer from here to The World Wound, just you wait!")

Which ones worked, but turned out to be simply impractical?

("Sure, the refrigerated Handy Haversack could keep all your food at an optimal temperature, but I never could make it cheaper than a wand of Purify Food and Drink.")

Which ones looked good on paper, but turned out to be deathtraps?

("The teleporting full plate armor would have been a smash hit if only I could figure out what made the helmet teleport two seconds before the rest of it!")

Did he have a game changing invention, only to have the idea stolen by a rival artificer.

("I was *this*close to getting the contract for The Wayfinder, but that bastard Thimblefingers got it by selling them MY exact invention but with an added light spell! Why would anyone who can afford a Wayfinder not already have a light source? It makes no sense! I tell you what... *several minutes of rambling about patent dodgers in general, and one in particular.*")

Stories about such past failures could go a long way in establishing the character's background and ambitions, not to mention, give plenty of roleplaying opportunities.