PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Make Zombies Interesting Again!

Sivarias
2017-12-07, 10:33 PM
Hey guys,

I've been fiddling with the 5e Monster creation mechanics and would like some feedback for what I've got here. Before we get any further VECNA-KAL, STAY OUT!!

Anyway, I wanted to make zombies more... more. I like the idea of loose magic just randomly powering undead, or necromancers mixing different magics to create different styles of zombie.

The first is based off of the 28 days later style undead. Fast, ferocious and brutal. I modified pounce to give them the feel of just running at you and taking complete advantage of you when/if you get knocked over.

The second one is more of a zombie based trap. It's a classic horror movie scene. You walk past half a zombie or one that otherwise seems to be dead only for it to trip you and take a large chunk out of your leg.

The idea is to mix these up in a dungeon with regular zombies, feeding your players small clues. Eventually putting them in the difficult situation of having to handle the hunters while the sunken zombies claw at their feet. Fun for low level adventurers no?

Feedback would be appreciated. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PGgFJChCohGmwMuWJ-Sk2S40Gad7o8t1jGHhbzlROHU/edit)

I included the baseline zombie for comparison sake.

Ixidor92
2017-12-08, 10:09 AM
Out of the two options you have presented here, I really like the concept of the sunken zombie, I would just tune it a little bit. The big thing that stands out to me, if you really wish to use this zombie as a "trap" of sorts, is that you have given no hide skill nor any kind of ability to help with being unnoticed. I would probably add something similar to the Gargoyle's ability to appear as stone while motionless, but instead they are indistinguishable from a half-rotted corpse. Also, depending on how threatening you want this creature to be, you may want to have the bite also carry the poisoned condition instead of just doing poison damage.

For the hunter I don't think you actually beefed it up enough. Obviously this depends on what you wish to do with the zombie in question, but given the threat it is supposed to represent, I would try to increase it to a challenge 1 creature. The easiest way would probably be to increase either it's strength or constitution, and maybe its hit points.

Hope this helps.

Composer99
2017-12-08, 10:32 AM
These are really cool. I'll echo the suggestion that the trap zombies have some means of appearing indistinguishable from corpses.

Sivarias
2017-12-08, 10:42 AM
Hmmm, I thought it would have been obvious from the fluff, but a mechanical confirmation wouldn't hurt. I'll edit and update when I do.

Edit: Changes have been made. Gave the sunken's false appearance.

For the hunter I don't think you actually beefed it up enough. Obviously this depends on what you wish to do with the zombie in question, but given the threat it is supposed to represent, I would try to increase it to a challenge 1 creature. The easiest way would probably be to increase either it's strength or constitution, and maybe its hit points.

I didn't want to buff them too much, because the plan is to use them in squads against a party of 3/4th level. I was trying to follow the "hard" guidelines from the DMG, especially considering this group doesn't have a cleric. That being said they do feel kind of weak to me, but I would rather them feel weak and not live up to the fluff, than have the wandering meat and potatoes monster of my dungeon risk a tpk with every encounter.

brian 333
2017-12-08, 02:27 PM
Zombies are by definition mindless undead. They become another kind of undead, lich, for example, if they retain or gain sapience. That said, there is room for many kinds of zombies, depending on the type of magic used and/or the origin of the corpse.

The Unburied: in this world the dead who are not given burial rites may rise up to wander mindlessly, hungering for blood and brains with no fear or even awareness. Though the chance of becoming a zombie is less than 1 in 1000, it seems to happen at the worst possible time. Performing burial rites on such a zombie is enough to allow it to rest in peace.

The Drowned: similar to above, save that these zombies cannot leave the waters in which they died. They may float, and can swim, if the corpse is fresh, but after a few weeks at most the corpse is too sodden to float, and must shamble about in the mud forever seeking the sustenance it needs.

Created zombies: These are standard zombies, and they come about via Animate Dead spells.

The Cursed: A variation of the Curse spell causes the recipient to have pale skin, sunken, blackened eyes, and a gaunt appearance. If the cursed individual dies without having the curse lifted, he automatically becomes a zombie. This creature can be slain, but will reanimate, regaining 1 hp per day up to that individual's max hp until the curse is lifted by the curser or a Remove Curse spell is cast by a cleric of equal or higher level than the curser. These zombies can be turned or destroyed but can only be controlled by the one who imposed the curse.

The Haunted: Oathbreakers and the dishonored dead wander the site of their dishonor. This type of zombie hungers like any other, but if it can be said to have any desire, it is to end its dishonored condition by fulfilling its oath or performing some deed which, in the opinion of the one to whom the dishonor was done or his lawful heir, absolves the Oathbreakers. Oath fulfilled or honor restored, the Haunted immediately expire. These zombies can be turned or destroyed, but they will only, (and automatically,) obey one with the power to declare their oath fulfilled or honor restored.

Eternal Guardians: Similar to The Haunted, these zombies have taken a vow to defend a location beyond their death. Such zombies act normally, but are bound to the location they swore to guard in life. They have improved resistance to turning, but can be controlled only by the terms of their vow.