PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your party

Harrysonford
2017-12-07, 11:43 PM
What tips and tricks do you know for keeping your party safe? Feats, class, subclass, spells etc..

Any ideas are valued :)

Potato_Priest
2017-12-07, 11:47 PM
A good persuasion check to tell them to stay home and work on the farm.

More seriously, the Ancestral Guardian barbarian in Xanathar's guide is great because it has an ability to heavily penalize enemies for attacking anyone other than itself. (Disadvantage on the attack and resistance to the damage).

Paladins have auras that can help the party with saving throws, avoiding spell damage, or ignoring harmful conditions.

Any tank without a built-in way to "distract" enemies can benefit from the sentinel feat, since it opens up options for both keeping enemies away from the party and disincentivizing attacking anyone but the tank.

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-08, 12:24 AM
Most classes have their way for keeping their party safe. Some might be more geared towards inflicting the status effect of 'Dead', which tends to be rather effective at making someone stop attacking.

SociopathFriend
2017-12-08, 01:10 AM
Alarm spell. Learn it. Cast it.
Given 10 minutes you can cast it as a ritual.
Congrats, you are now basically impossible to be surprised by low-level threats.

Talamare
2017-12-08, 01:17 AM
Healer Feat
Inspiring Leader Feat
Sentinel Feat

ImproperJustice
2017-12-08, 01:34 PM
Healer Feat
Inspiring Leader Feat
Sentinel Feat

Healer and Ispiring Leader both provide low to now respurce healing/damage reduction which allows the team to save spell slots/resources for more immediate needs.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-12-08, 01:39 PM
Healer Feat
Inspiring Leader Feat
Sentinel Feat

Healer and Ispiring Leader both provide low to now respurce healing/damage reduction which allows the team to save spell slots/resources for more immediate needs.
Third this. One of the first discussions I have with any party in games with free first level feats is about who's going to take Healer, and who's going to take Inspiring Leadership. I tend to try and take one even when the build normally needs something else just because it makes me a very popular character.

Sentinel's also outstanding, for a true blue tank. But make sure you're going to be using miniatures first, I can confirm that it's almost useless if you're playing theater of the mind.