PDA

View Full Version : Summoner

Stormcrow
2007-08-20, 06:26 PM
Before I get drowned by bemoanings of "this needs to be in homebrew" I say Silence!.

I've been working my way through Final Fantasy 12 and I really like the idea of having to defeat the things you wish to summon prior to be being able to summon them. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a summoner class written this way or is interested in helping to create one?

JackMage666
2007-08-20, 06:59 PM
Well, as much as you'll hate to hear it, this needs to be homebrewed.

Sorry, but it's true. It's not been done before, and it'd have to be pretty contained. Maybe have it so the summons available are equal to a Summon Monster Spell one level higher than that of what a Wizard of equal level could cast, since you don't want anything overpowered, but you do have to do a bit more work than a regular Wizard or Sorcerer would.

I'd like to see it as a base class, personally, and I think it's a great idea. Make it a bit more potent than a Wizard would, but not overpowering. I'd say, when a Wizard can cast 3rd level spells (and, thus, Summon Monster III), you should be able to summon monsters you've defeated that are on (or similar to) the Summon Monster IV list.

Note, though, that you'll need a list, or it'll be abused. I can guarantee that.

God_of_Luck
2007-08-21, 12:27 AM
Before I get drowned by bemoanings of "this needs to be in homebrew" I say Silence!.

I've been working my way through Final Fantasy 12 and I really like the idea of having to defeat the things you wish to summon prior to be being able to summon them. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a summoner class written this way or is interested in helping to create one?

In D&D, that's planar binding. There is a summoner base class floating in the Class and PrCs in the WotC.

If you want to homebrew it, use the 9th level spell Gate as an example. A few times per day you can summon a powerful creature to help depending on your alignment (from FF you can get Efreet (Efreeti or a Pit Fiend) and Unicorn (Celestial Charger is better to represent the summon better) and you can add stuff like an Ursinal Guardinal or a Firre Eladrin) with some spellcasting abilities (reduced schools, increased CL in summon spells, you name it).