PDA

View Full Version : Damned Artificer thread....has anyone found a good one?

Legendairy
2017-12-08, 02:12 AM
My absolute favorite character in 3.5 was an artificer, I would love to play him again. Has anyone found a good, powerful feeling artificer that actually captures a blastificer type that can actually craft things in game? Homebrew or anything, I would love to play one even a tier-0 type, I can tone it down. Everything I find seems to grab bits and pieces but nothing I have seen feels “right”. Thank you all in advance.

clem
2017-12-08, 02:14 AM
There's one in Unearthed Aracana that's due for a release on the DMs Guild sometime next year. It's not going to feel like the 3.5 artificer, but it's better than nothing:

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

LeonBH
2017-12-08, 02:14 AM
Does the UA Artificer not do it for you? There were two versions of it. The first one is as a Wizard school, the other is as a new and separate class.

Legendairy
2017-12-08, 02:21 AM
Thank you for the link, I don’t think I have seen the stand alone class version, I was blinded by hate, I will take a look.

I have not looked. The only one I remember is the wizard sub and it was definitely SUBCLASS/PAR for what my opinion is of an artificer.

Give me a bit to get back to you two, thank you both so much.

Legendairy
2017-12-08, 02:42 AM
I like some things about it. The attuned item increase is amazing! The creating free magic items is great! The mechanical beast is...neat, but feels a bit off (easy to make work how I want it tho). It’s the subclasses honestly, and they don’t feel like they put out decent consistent DPR. I was wanting something with the duel wand wielder feel, I mean I can homebrew something but I wanted it to be something I didn’t make. I just feel I’m at a loss, I know it’s not 3.5 and I love 5e, I just want that artificer back. The one who eats magic items and remakes them, they are permanent fixtures and he helps the whole group by buffing up the gear. When the time comes he can nova at the cost of a small kingdom.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-08, 03:29 AM
As an alternative to the UA, my colleagues at Mage Hand Press have created a class called the Craftsman (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/04/craftsman-redux.html) that aims to plug the 'artificer' gap. We've had a lot of positive feedback on it, so it's something were quite proud of.

The Complete Craftsman book on our store contains more subclasses and other options, as well as expanded crafting rules for all characters, but it's not required to use the class.

ImproperJustice
2017-12-08, 08:03 AM
I’ve been running an Artificer for weeks using the one from UA.

My DPR is fine next to the other characters I Adventure with. It’s not the greatest, but then again, I can heal, pop traps, identify things, have all the knowledge skills, buff allies, have access to posions, debuff enemies, and equip multiple attuned magic items.

Honestly, the superior attunement is a very underrated feature. I pack three different wands right now which gives me a lot of punch when needed.

All this to say: Give the class a shot. It’s got a lot going on with it, and there is something to be said for the class’ utility.

JackPhoenix
2017-12-08, 09:05 AM
I like this one. (http://www.eberron5e.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Class-Artificer-Full-Class-v3.4.pdf) More faithful to the original than anything from WotC, but still takes 5e design intents into consideration. Also ported Eberron homunculi.

Falcon X
2017-12-08, 10:17 AM
I’m a big fan of DawnforgedCast alchemist. (It’s one of the few things I like from them).

It is a character that can do tons of great potion and poison making quickly. It goes bombs, chemicals, and self-transformation all the way.
However, it isn’t going to enchant any items, so it might not fit what you want.

Legendairy
2017-12-08, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone, I will check out the links and hopefully snag one. ImproperJustice, thank you for your input, I can see what you are saying, just seems a bard could do all those things but possibly better, even out DPRing them, I could be wrong. A full caster that cherry picks like the bard seems to do all that and more except the mechanical beast and attunement. In no way am I trying to undermine what you are saying, just giving you my at a glance feel of the class.

I guess my “pain” come from the fact that the 3.5 class could do a lot of things and then one thing really well, with that one thing being one of the routes, IE:blastificer, minionmancer, buffer. The UA one looks neat and seems to do a lot of neat things but nothing really good. A rogue AT can do almost the same stuff with more casting options and higher damage and a bard could do all that and more while being way more versatile.

Sorry about the long explanation, I have not played the class just a first glance kind of thing. I know this isn’t 3.5 and I think we are better for that, I just miss the feel of the artificer of old.

Mara
2017-12-08, 10:44 AM
My absolute favorite character in 3.5 was an artificer, I would love to play him again. Has anyone found a good, powerful feeling artificer that actually captures a blastificer type that can actually craft things in game? Homebrew or anything, I would love to play one even a tier-0 type, I can tone it down. Everything I find seems to grab bits and pieces but nothing I have seen feels “right”. Thank you all in advance.

I'm going to use this class to make magic items in the next campaign (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1svYTr9UBr2AWlQ99Mi0L-6MBmJ-IhnsZn7xWi3sVoOQ/edit?usp=drivesdk)

This class is more about enchanting things and making items that are less busted than actual magical items but a lot cooler.

The thematics are based off something else (Enchanters from Sufficiently Advanced Magic), not 3.5 artificer, but you should be able to re-flavor this to align better.

Legendairy
2017-12-08, 06:22 PM
Thank you everyone! I am still looking them all over. I also have the 22page one from dm’s guild. I just want to duel wands and have good nova or sustained DPR while doing the neat stuff, on par with a bard or sorc maybe. I just really want to play my 3.5 artificer in 5e somehow and not be broken but powerful. I can play broken without breaking the game too, I usually cater to my group (when I actually get to play). I just want that panic button that I can go nuclear for a round or three if need be lol.

Shrimpboy107
2017-12-08, 11:05 PM
I have a homebrewed revision of the UA Artificer that can be found here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/214015/Unearthed-Arcana-Artificer-Revised?src=newest_community&filters=0_0_45397_0_0_0_0_0

I added a Wand Carver subclass, which you can pretty easily reflavor as multiple wands. For your nova round, you can pick up the Wand of Magic Missile at level 6 and use all of your charges and all darts get +Int mod to damage. Costs time and money to make more Wands of Magic Missile, granted little at higher levels but still substantial for most game timespans. There are also other improvements to the class in general. And feel free to let me know what you think!