PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Brawler drew werebear card in PATHFINDER campaign

Vyanie
2017-12-08, 02:38 AM
Background, during our campaign we found a Harrow Deck of Many Things, I choose to go big and drew a bunch of cards and got EXTREMELY lucky. The problem I'm having is one of the cards I drew changed me into a natural were-bear and now I'm confused.

When making attacks in hybrid form am I still allowed to use Brawlers Flurry? If I am do i use the damage from brawler level or natural weapon damage? Can I use Brawlers flurry instead of my natural attacks? Do i use them and my natural attacks?

It took me a bit of reading to understand the whole stats part of lycanthropes but I am really confused for the attacks. In addition to this how does the Feral Combat feat come into play for all of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Psyren
2017-12-08, 02:53 AM
When making attacks in hybrid form am I still allowed to use Brawlers Flurry? If I am do i use the damage from brawler level or natural weapon damage? Can I use Brawlers flurry instead of my natural attacks? Do i use them and my natural attacks?

It took me a bit of reading to understand the whole stats part of lycanthropes but I am really confused for the attacks. In addition to this how does the Feral Combat feat come into play for all of this?

As written, Brawlers specifically can't use natural attacks with their flurry, and Feral Combat Training only mentions monks, so you might be SOL if your GM doesn't play ball.

Yanisa
2017-12-08, 02:55 AM

Nope, it's in the flurry description:

A brawler with natural weapons can’t use such weapons as part of brawler’s flurry, nor can she make natural weapon attacks in addition to her brawler’s flurry attacks.

In addition to this how does the Feral Combat feat come into play for all of this?
As written Feral Combat Training only allows monks to add natural attacks to their flurry, mainly because it was made for brawlers existed, so it seems reasonable to allow it for Brawlers as well. Ask your DM though.

It would still allow you to apply unarmed strikes feats to your natural attacks.

Vyanie
2017-12-08, 03:58 AM
So by RAW in hybrid form am i able to use brawlers flurry at all? I mean i could just headbutt headbutt and not use my claws or bite.

I had hoped that i could use my normal unarmed attacks and damage but use the special feature of grab that hybrid form gives me with the flurry, was there a way for me to do that? or should I just give up this idea of doing anything decent?

Yanisa
2017-12-08, 06:09 AM
So by RAW in hybrid form am i able to use brawlers flurry at all? I mean i could just headbutt headbutt and not use my claws or bite.
In hybrid form you do keep your class features.

You can either use your Brawler's flurry, with only unarmed strikes (or monk weapons). Or use a normal full attack, with unarmed strikes (or weapons) and/or natural attacks.

Do keep in mind that when you combine unarmed strikes and natural attacks in a normal full attack, all natural attacks are treated secondary and suffer a -5 attack penalty. It can rack up more attacks per round, at cost of accuracy.

I had hoped that i could use my normal unarmed attacks and damage but use the special feature of grab that hybrid form gives me with the flurry, was there a way for me to do that? or should I just give up this idea of doing anything decent?

That's the purpose of Feral Combat Training. Sadly there doesn't seem to be an errata or clarification to add Brawler to that feat. I still say: ask your DM to allow it. As the feat should include Brawlers, but was written before Brawler's existed.

Vyanie
2017-12-08, 06:31 AM

You can either use your Brawler's flurry, with only unarmed strikes (or monk weapons). Or use a normal full attack, with unarmed strikes (or weapons) and/or natural attacks.

Do keep in mind that when you combine unarmed strikes and natural attacks in a normal full attack, all natural attacks are treated secondary and suffer a -5 attack penalty. It can rack up more attacks per round, at cost of accuracy.

That's the purpose of Feral Combat Training. Sadly there doesn't seem to be an errata or clarification to add Brawler to that feat. I still say: ask your DM to allow it. As the feat should include Brawlers, but was written before Brawler's existed.

Ahh i think i understand, I had just wanted to make sure Feral combat training did what i was thinking before asking getting a yes and being completely disappointed afterwards. Sadly it seems even if I were to go that route i would loose out on my unarmed attack damage just being able to use the claw damage, looks like it was errata'd .... to bad paz hates martials.

Yanisa
2017-12-08, 06:52 AM
Ahh i think i understand, I had just wanted to make sure Feral combat training did what i was thinking before asking getting a yes and being completely disappointed afterwards. Sadly it seems even if I were to go that route i would loose out on my unarmed attack damage just being able to use the claw damage, looks like it was errata'd .... to bad paz hates martials.

There is a bit more explanation in the FAQ here (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1g1#v5748eaic9ozd). Most relevant for your question:

... apply the effects of the natural weapon (such as a poisonous bite) for each flurry of blows attack ...

So grab, which is an effect of claw, should be flurryable.

AZGrowler
2017-12-08, 04:05 PM

Based on the Martial Training class feature, Feral Combat Training should apply to brawlers. Yes, it calls out qualifying for feats and applying alternate effects based on Monk levels, but it stands to reason that brawler levels should count as monk levels for FCT.