PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Intelligent Whatever (3.5 Template)

Aniikinis
2017-12-08, 04:04 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/3/30/3291225-grodd.png/revision/latest?cb=20170123164224
Don't mind the ape, they said. It's dumb as a sack of rocks, they said. It won't conquer the world, they said...
Intelligent Creature

"Intelligent" is an acquired template that can be added to any creature with less than 3 Int or with Int as a nonability score (referred to hereafter as the "base creature"). It uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities, except as listed:

Type: If an animal is given this template it becomes a magical beast, otherwise, same as the base creature.

AC: Same as the base creature.

Special Attacks: An intelligent creature retains all the special attacks of the base creature

Abilities: Adjust from the base creature as follows: Con -2, Int is increased by rolling 4d4 and adding the sum to the base creature's Int score. Any creature that is mindless and/or lacking an intelligence score counts that score as 0 for this calculation and subsequently loses the mindless trait which then causes the creature to be entitled to skills and feats, and become susceptible to mind-affecting effects, if it was not before.

Feats: Same as the base creature.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature.

Treasure: Same as the base creature.

Alignment: Same as the base creature

Advancement: By character class.

Special: If the creature was unable to speak before, it gains the ability to speak as well as an average member of whatever the closest racial analogue is (or human if there isn't one)

rferries
2017-12-08, 09:43 PM
Nice and simple. 2 things:

1) Can it be expanded to include creatures with Intelligence as a nonability (oozes, vermin, etc.)? Such creatures would be entitled to skills and feats, and would possibly become suceptible to mind-influencing affects.

2) Usually ability modifiers in 3.5 are even numbers, so ideally it would grant +8 or +10 intelligence (or a special ruling that it rolls 3d6 for Intelligence).

Aniikinis
2017-12-08, 11:18 PM
1) Can it be expanded to include creatures with Intelligence as a nonability (oozes, vermin, etc.)? Such creatures would be entitled to skills and feats, and would possibly become suceptible to mind-influencing affects.

Didn't think about those, but yeah it can, and I'll add that in soon.

2) Usually ability modifiers in 3.5 are even numbers, so ideally it would grant +8 or +10 intelligence (or a special ruling that it rolls 3d6 for Intelligence).

True, the reason I used a +8 is that if the creature has either a 1 or 2 in its int score it would be a 10 or 11, and thus not particularly more intelligent than the average human. I'll bump it up to +10. Scratch that, I think I'll use a 4d4 for the intelligence (average is 10 with 9 and 11 being very close behind).