PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Powerful Build Trait, Enlarge, and Grappling

Ventruenox
2017-12-08, 12:25 PM
It seems that this should work:

A PC with the powerful buld trait counts as one size larger for push/drag/lift weights. When an Enlarge Spell (or the Mystic Discipline Giant Growth) is cast, you increase one size category and double the push/drag/lift capacity. These effects stack. Moving a grappled opponent around the battlefield is done by pushing, dragging, or carrying them.

Therefore: An enlarged grappler with the powerful build trait counts as TWO sizes larger than their original size. If the grappler and the grappled were both size M originally, that means the halved movement restriction is lifted for the enlarged grappler.

Is there anything I am missing here?

Khrysaes
2017-12-08, 12:28 PM
It seems that this should work:

A PC with the powerful buld trait counts as one size larger for push/drag/lift weights. When an Enlarge Spell (or the Mystic Discipline Giant Growth) is cast, you increase one size category and double the push/drag/lift capacity. These effects stack. Moving a grappled opponent around the battlefield is done by pushing, dragging, or carrying them.

Therefore: An enlarged grappler with the powerful build trait counts as TWO sizes larger than their original size. If the grappler and the grappled were both size M originally, that means the halved movement restriction is lifted for the enlarged grappler.

Is there anything I am missing here?

In math if you double a double, it is 4 times.

In seriousness, it is based on the wording.

Also, I believe empower strength, bear barb 6, and the ua brawny feat increase the capacity too.

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-08, 12:42 PM
Wow, I am about to start Curse of Strahd and this is making me want to create a Bugbear Bearbarian. As long as I have a mage willing to use concentration on enlarge on me I can push, drag, or pull 8x the normal amount and I would have advantage on STR checks.

It would set up a Hulk vs Loki scene like at the end of the avengers movie where if I can grapple strahd I could just start body slamming him around! That would be priceless.

LeonBH
2017-12-08, 01:08 PM
An enlarged creature is still a Large creature (assuming they started as Medium). They just count as one size larger for the purposes of their carrying capacity. So, the halved movement restriction would still apply. It's just that they can carry four times their original carrying capacity.

Ventruenox
2017-12-08, 01:21 PM
The carrying capacity math wasn't what I needed to verify, it was the movement restriction. My arguement is that moving a grappled opponent counts as a push/drag/lift so while moving the size Large grappler counts as size Huge.

If movement is no longer halved, running a grappled opponent through an AoE like Spike Growth results in silly amounts of damage. 2d4 per 5', no save on the damage - the save is only to spot the spikes. A full dash with 30' movement results in 120d4 damage, not counting any additional ways to increase speed.

Master O' Laughs - you may want to mix in Rogue on the Bugbear for Expertise in Athletics and the Reckless Sneak Attack. Use a whip and you can do it from 15'. Strahd would probably mist away to escape you, that puny count.

LeonBH
2017-12-08, 01:31 PM
The carrying capacity math wasn't what I needed to verify, it was the movement restriction. My arguement is that moving a grappled opponent counts as a push/drag/lift so while moving the size Large grappler counts as size Huge.

If movement is no longer halved, running a grappled opponent through an AoE like Spike Growth results in silly amounts of damage. 2d4 per 5', no save on the damage - the save is only to spot the spikes. A full dash with 30' movement results in 120d4 damage, not counting any additional ways to increase speed.

Master O' Laughs - you may want to mix in Rogue on the Bugbear for Expertise in Athletics and the Reckless Sneak Attack. Use a whip and you can do it from 15'. Strahd would probably mist away to escape you, that puny count.

If you're grappling a small race like a Gnome or Halfling, the movement restriction is no longer applicable. But it still applies for Medium creatures.

It's worth noting that Polymorph would let you replicate your since you can transform into a Huge creature. Also, anyone with Land's Stride (a Druid or Ranger ability, but possibly other creatures have it as well) is immune from Spike Growth damage.

Master O'Laughs
2017-12-08, 01:31 PM

I was just thinking about that. Either Assassin for the insane crits on 1st round of combat or maybe one of the Xanathars sub-classes.

If he mists away then I will just have to chase him down and do it again! lol.

Khrysaes
2017-12-08, 06:29 PM
I was just thinking about that. Either Assassin for the insane crits on 1st round of combat or maybe one of the Xanathars sub-classes.

If he mists away then I will just have to chase him down and do it again! lol.

I think Arcane trickster may actually be better, as you can enlarge yourself with enough levels, and grant advantage with a familiar.

Inquisitor is good too, as with a bonus action you can get sneak attack without needing to reckless for 10 rounds. More difficult to do though.

pdegan2814
2017-12-08, 06:30 PM

The wording says "When you move, you can drag or carry the grappled creature with you", so it sure seems to me like Powerful Build's virtual size boost would apply. So if an Enlarged Goliath tried dragging a Medium sized creature, their speed wouldn't be halved. At least, that's how I'd rule if I were a DM. Does Spike Growth damage apply even if it's forced movement? Would it apply if someone was pushed into the area with something like Repelling Blast? I don't know the ruling on that.

Galactkaktus
2017-12-08, 07:03 PM
Ok so if i ever play with a player that plays a large race with high str and expertise in athletics i should value enlarge/reduce higher since with it we can grapple dragons.

Quoz
2017-12-09, 07:36 AM
Large creatures may, GM dependant, also gain the suplex move. The max height you can reach over your head with a running vertical leap is 3+str mod+(height×1.5) from arm reach. This means an 8 foot tall bugbear or firbolg with a +5 str mod can deal a 20 foot drop for a free action as part of their move by releasing a grapple. 2d6 and prone, no save. And then you land on top of them and grapple again. With enlarge, your height is doubled so you add 24 feet to the max lift and drop.

That, on a monk who has extra move and can run up vertical surfaces at no penalty, makes me want to play a luchador firbolg for my next character so badly.