PDA

View Full Version : So since I can't get an answer anywhere else, Dragon's Breath spell question

samcifer
2017-12-08, 02:28 PM
Tried asking both Mike and Jeremy on twitter and have been ignored, so I thought I'd ask here instead.

For the Bragon's breath spell, when it's cast on another player, is the spell dc of the original caster or that of the player for the dex save?

Say I cast it on the group's fighter and he uses it. Is it my spell dc that the targets of the breath attack have to roll against?

jaappleton
2017-12-08, 02:31 PM
I'd rule it as your DC. It's your spell that was cast. So I'd treat it somewhat like a scroll, where it gets a static DC; This is your DC, regardless of who casts it.

.....though the concept of casting it on a Familiar just occurred to me, and now I'm laughing hysterically :smallbiggrin:

samcifer
2017-12-08, 02:33 PM
I'd rule it as your DC. It's your spell that was cast. So I'd treat it somewhat like a scroll, where it gets a static DC; This is your DC, regardless of who casts it.

.....though the concept of casting it on a Familiar just occurred to me, and now I'm laughing hysterically :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, if I take magic initiate and go wizard for Find Familiar, I'm going to take DB as well as a regular spell.

Throne12
2017-12-08, 03:29 PM
If you cast shield of faith on your buddy. You don't get the +2 to AC. And he don't maintain the spell Concentration. You cast the spell it use your spell save DC.

samcifer
2017-12-08, 03:44 PM
I just asked because the spell in the book doesn't mention how to determine the spell sace dc when the breath attack was used by after the spell was cast upon them by a different player, esp. when the character who gains the breath attack isn't a caster.

JackPhoenix
2017-12-08, 04:08 PM

"Ye'r a wizard, lizard!"

jaappleton
2017-12-08, 04:14 PM
"Ye'r a wizard, lizard!"

"How'd you go about getting that familiar of yours?"
"I gave it the power to burn those which destroyed his nest."
".....You made an owl breathe fire?"
"**** yeah I did, wouldn't you?!"

JackPhoenix
2017-12-08, 04:26 PM
"How'd you go about getting that familiar of yours?"
"I gave it the power to burn those which destroyed his nest."
".....You made an owl breathe fire?"
"**** yeah I did, wouldn't you?!"

You've just reminded me of a boss I've used against low level party back in 3.5. After nibbling on some poorly stored magic scrolls, formerly normal rat was a meter long, glowing, flying, and breathing fire. And totally not a refluffed brass dragon wyrmling.

Strangways
2017-12-08, 09:49 PM
Tried asking both Mike and Jeremy on twitter and have been ignored, so I thought I'd ask here instead.

For the Bragon's breath spell, when it's cast on another player, is the spell dc of the original caster or that of the player for the dex save?

Say I cast it on the group's fighter and he uses it. Is it my spell dc that the targets of the breath attack have to roll against?

Your spell = Your DC. It doesn't matter whether the effect of the spell is emanating from you or from someone else.