PDA

View Full Version : Optimization "Sea Witch" character build?

Jarmen4u
2017-12-08, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

I've played 5e for a while, but I'm still ignorant of a lot of the options out there for building classes. I was helping someone else make a character for a campaign they're joining, and they want to play something akin to a sea witch. I know this person well, and basically they're obsessed with fish- and water- related things. Nami from LoL, Cali Marie from Cuphead, Feferi from Homestuck, Vaporeon from Pokemon, that big mermaid from Shantae, etc.

To start, I suggested a Water Genasi, but other than just rolling a wizard and picking water-type spells, I'm not really sure where to go with their character.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Mr A25
2017-12-08, 02:38 PM
If Unearthed Arcana is available, then the Sea Sorcerer would probably work well from a flavour and mechanics perspective. There are plenty of water related spells in Xanathar’s and elemental evil that would be perfect as well.

If you ever got to a high enough level, you could convince the DM to allow you to take the Druid spell Tsunami as like your ultimate spell.

Jarmen4u
2017-12-08, 02:41 PM
Love that idea! Currently, the player will be having a call with the DM later this evening, so I'm looking to get a few different ideas for them to spitball.

In case UA isn't allowed, or even if it is, any other ideas?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-08, 02:55 PM
any other ideas?

It may be a long shot, but if homebrew is allowed, I made a merfolk (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/05/merfolk.html) race.

We also have a raft of aquatic familiars (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/07/familiars-under-sea.html), if your friend is playing a witchy character, and some new water-themed spells (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/10/elemental-spells-water.html).

Otherwise, I second druid and sorcerer. They're the easiest classes to play with an elemental bent. Remind them that spells and abilities can be refluffed - shield could be a wall of water you summon up around you, or hold person could be an Avatar-style ice prison (https://am23.akamaized.net/tms/cnt/uploads/2014/07/katara-featured.png).

JackPhoenix
2017-12-08, 03:10 PM
If you're looking for something official, triton storm sorcerer.

Mr A25
2017-12-08, 03:10 PM
Storm sorcerer is fully published in Xanathar’s! It’s a lot more lightning focused but I could definitely see a water aspect about it depending on the fluff! I can’t think of anything else too directly watery but a Moon Druid that uses marine transformations or a coastal land Druid could work!

Also look at the player race Triton for a real watery race!

Jarmen4u
2017-12-08, 03:35 PM
Thanks for that, I was just actually looking over Tritons! I'll take a look at Storm Sorcerer, Sea Sorcerer is also very cool, although there's a bit of overlap in a few of the abilities, like being able to breathe water.

Jarmen4u
2017-12-08, 04:42 PM
So, a lot of these classes have interesting abilities, but has anyone actually played these UA subclasses in-game? How useful are these class abilities, or how often are they relevant? I'm mostly curious about Sea Sorcerer (most likely the one they're going to pick), but experience with either is appreciated.

Hypersmith
2017-12-08, 11:18 PM
I'm experienced with sea-sorcerer quite a bit as a blaster and a support. Probably my fav sorc subclass. Essentially the higher the level, the more useful the ability. Damage reduction by charisma score is especially great. The level 1 ability is pretty useful if you are content with using a cantrip one turn and a spell the next and alternating, but the biggest problem with it is that it needs you to consistently land the cantrips. It's nothing awesome, but it is incentive not to rely on spell slots so heavily, so the subclass has better mileage (imo) than other sorcerers.

Overall a more defensive, elusive sorcerer.

mgshamster
2017-12-08, 11:38 PM
I'm doing something similar with my water Genasi coastal druid, and picking up spells themed around water or coasts.

Ganymede
2017-12-08, 11:48 PM
You could easily be an Archfey Warlock with some sort of elder sea hag as your patron. It can be of any race as well, because you can take Gift of the Deep at 5th level which gets you a swim speed, water breathing, and the ability to cast the Water Breathing spell on your friends.