PDA

View Full Version : God of Knives

VoxRationis
2017-12-08, 03:24 PM
Inspired by Hela from Thor: Ragnarok, I am interested in a character concept of a caster-type who claims dominion over a broad concept like "death," but mostly has the power of "knives." Obviously, this is a pretty tongue-in-cheek kind of character. So what sort of things would you suggest for a caster who limits themselves to spells which create knives or blades? (No 20-level builds, please. I generally play between 1st and 10th level.)

Nifft
2017-12-08, 03:29 PM
Persistent Cloud of Knives is one knife-throw per round as a free action.

Mord's Sword is another knife-shaped attack, or Spiritual Weapon.

MIC has a gauntlet of infinite knives.

heavyfuel
2017-12-08, 03:37 PM
A DMM Cleric can persist Cloud of Knives as early as lv 3, and even if the DM is against a DMM Cleric, you can maybe convince them to allow it since it's cloud of Knives. You're basically spending 3 feats (Extend, Persist, DMM) for 1d6+1 damage if you hit

Whirling Blade can be used in conjunction with daggers AND Arcane Strike. Works pretty well with Sorcerers

Lazymancer
2017-12-08, 03:56 PM
Whirling blade with Manyfang Dagger (SK) works wonders.

noob
2017-12-08, 03:59 PM
You could use spell thematic: knives.
And also do not forget telekinesis is really cool.
And if you use arrows it inflicts damage as "daggers" so somehow your dagger mage throwing arrows would fit thematically if you stop using your imagination to represent yourself dnd.

heavyfuel
2017-12-08, 04:02 PM
You could use spell thematic: knives.

That's pretty cool. Fireball? Pff! Knifeball! (it's like a grenade that explodes knife shaped shrapnel)

VoxRationis
2017-12-08, 04:45 PM
Where is Cloud of Knives? I'm looking through the Spell Compendium, Complete Arcane, and Complete Mage and not finding it. Did I miss it?

noob
2017-12-08, 04:53 PM
Player's Handbook II
It also seems nothing prevents you from persisting that spell 30 times and attacking with it 30 times at each turn(except the hard part of getting that many persist)
You can get sneak attack damage on it and have it persisted 8 times without too much weird cheese and thus get lots and lots of sneak attack for dealing something like 40d6 damage per turn.(as free actions then you can cast your own knifey spells during battle)

Thurbane
2017-12-08, 04:55 PM
I was thinking about a similar character a while back:

It might be an option, but needs Wis, which I was hoping to be a dump stat.

Never noticed that before. I'm fairly confident my table would rule that it increases spells known as well.

Looking at spells I might want to pick up to fit this theme (I'll be culling a lot of the useless ones and double-ups):

Silvered Weapon

Backbiter
Blade of Blood
Blades of Fire
Magic Weapon
Master's Touch
Mighty Wallop
Persistent Blade
Weapon Shift

Bladesong
Bladeweave
Burning Sword
Cloud of Knives
Decastave
Enlarge Weapon
Flame Dagger
Frost Weapon
Hurl
Infernal Wound
Returning Weapon
Scimitar of Sand
Sonic Weapon
Stretch Weapon
Whirling Blade

Dolorous Blow
Energy Surge
Greater Magic Weapon
Greater Mighty Wallop
Keen Edge
Legion of Sentinels
Spectral Weapon
Steeldance
Vile Lance
Weapon Of Energy
Weapon of Impact

Bladebane

Dancing Blade
Sakkratar's Triple Strike
Sword of Deception
Touch of Adamantine
Toxic Weapon
Vanishing Weapon

Arrow of Bone
Brilliant Aura
Mage's Sword
Sword of Darkness

Black Blade of Disaster

Nifft
2017-12-08, 05:01 PM
I was thinking about a similar character a while back:

Needs some Blade Barrier, too -- perhaps via Wyrm Wizard.

Ooo, and another one on the Cleric side is Body Blades (SpC) which makes you one of the edgiest, knife-iest PCs.

ben-zayb
2017-12-08, 05:05 PM
Have you considered Soulknife, what with Hela pulling knives out of her hindside / thin air?

I did make a TO female soulknife (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20138735&postcount=119) that can throw gazillion knives per round. Too bad that it takes level 14 to go online.

Nifft
2017-12-08, 09:36 PM
Player's Handbook II
It also seems nothing prevents you from persisting that spell 30 times and attacking with it 30 times at each turn

Hmm.

You conjure a cloud of sharp knives around you. The knives float in the air around your upper body, pointing in the direction you look. Each round as a free action at the beginning of your turn, you can release one of these knives at any target within 30 feet that you can see.

If you have two copies of this spell running, both of them give you the benefit:

Each round as a free action at the beginning of your turn, you can release one of these knives at any target within 30 feet that you can see.

There's nothing which says the spell stacks with itself -- therefore, it could be argued that each additional casting overlaps.

Even if there were a way to show that the effects should stack, a devil's advocate (or a DM) might argue that you only get one "beginning of turn" free action, since any action after that (free or otherwise) can't also be at the beginning.

So... how could a player convince her DM that she's entitled to two free attacks each round by casting cloud of knives twice in a row, persistent or otherwise?

Twurps
2017-12-11, 01:20 PM
Well: once you're to the point where you can persist 2 spells, I don't think having 2 clouds of knives is what your DM should worry about.

heavyfuel
2017-12-11, 03:30 PM
Well: once you're to the point where you can persist 2 spells, I don't think having 2 clouds of knives is what your DM should worry about.

Do you mean lv 3? Cuz it's totally doable by lv 3

Having 2 Cloud of Knives at lv 3 is pretty strong, now it's up to the DM to say if they stack or not (which I assume most DMs will say they don't)

Vizzerdrix
2017-12-11, 03:40 PM
Dont forget spells like ice dagger and steeldance.

Salient
2017-12-11, 04:20 PM
I actually had much the same conversation with a few friends on the way home from the movie, we thought just play a Warlock and theme Eldritch Blast as knives/swords.

Gullintanni
2017-12-11, 09:13 PM
For the record, Persisted Cloud of Knived really enjoys a sprinkling of Fell Drain as well.